The price of a home home charger?

Tom Hartley

Established Member
Reaction score
Since buying an MG ZS EV I have only used a Granny charger but after reading contributors posts I obtained a quote to have an EO Mini Pro V2 installed.

An "additional O-PEN device" was apparently required to negate the need for an earth rod together with Active Load Management, otherwise the installation was not seemigly unusually problomatic.

Based on contributors experiences who have had a home charger installed does £655 seem reasonable for the job?

Many thanks, the £655 was after the grant so I guess your reply has answered my question.

This week I had the EO Mini Pro V2 for £670.
The grants were better previously so people paid less for it last year, but now it costs 'from' £595 to include installation.

I think under new reg's most ( not all ) wall box installs require either an earth rod or pen fault detect devices installed.
I am fairly sure that the Zappi units do not require either though ( already built in ! ).
The Zappi unit is highly regarded by a lot of EV installers because it well built and reliable.
No, I don't have one unfortunately.
Not the cheapest wall box it has to be said, but buy cheap, buy twice.

Thank you for the responses. I did note the reduced grant, the EO cost "from" and regarding Lovemyevs closing line, its one used by my wife.
I am trying identify the best untetherd home charger based on performance, affordability and suitablity for the MG ZS and hope the community might be the font of knowledge for this quest.

Zappi is good - but expensive. Given my time again I’d be tempted to buy direct from the manufacturer & do a DIY installation. The saving would far outweigh the labour/profit & associated VAT on the cost of the distributor installation. Especially as I’d already buried the SWA cable needed, which would have been at an additional expense if I’d asked them to do it. I challenged the supplier about the high price & he came back with “2 electricians for a day” profit & VAT as defence. When I pointed out that I’d already pre-laid the cable & that the electricians were only on site for a couple of hours I got the response “swings & roundabouts”. I’d already taken the view to regard the installation as “capital” & just bit the bullet so to speak. I suppose I did get an exceptional deal on the car itself really ......

I havd thd EO Mini Pro, wanted a small box in white. Paid £595 standard installation, installer claimed the grant of £350.

Worked out that to DIY it I would be looking at £450-500. But I would not have the 3 year warranty and I would need it signed off.

The box is great, make surd that you get the right app for it if you go for it.

I havd thd EO Mini Pro, wanted a small box in white. Paid £595 standard installation, installer claimed the grant of £350.

Worked out that to DIY it I would be looking at £450-500. But I would not have the 3 year warranty and I would need it signed off.

The box is great, make surd that you get the right app for it if you go for it.
Many thanks.

Just found the photos

20201125_142831.jpg
20201125_142838.jpg
20201130_123438.jpg

They installed the new CU on the left as well.

The only downside - podpoints dont time charge with our cars. It might not need a pen detection device, but i would rather get a different charger because it doesn't time charge. But not everyone needs time charge....

Last edited:
Since buying an MG ZS EV I have only used a Granny charger but after reading contributors posts I obtained a quote to have an EO Mini Pro V2 installed.

An "additional O-PEN device" was apparently required to negate the need for an earth rod together with Active Load Management, otherwise the installation was not seemigly unusually problomatic.

Based on contributors experiences who have had a home charger installed does £655 seem reasonable for the job?
I had a Zappi, Hub and Harvi installed for 400 after the 350 grant and the Scottish 300 grant, but prices can vary dramatically depending on how hard the install is, always best to have 3 estimates then find recommendations.

Thank you for the responses. I did note the reduced grant, the EO cost "from" and regarding Lovemyevs closing line, its one used by my wife.
I am trying identify the best untethered home charger based on performance, affordability and suitability for the MG ZS and hope the community might be the font of knowledge for this quest.
The Zappi is expensive but it is top of the range and not that more expensive especially if you intend to get solar panels and it works fine with delayed charging, using the hub means you get firmware updates for the hub and the Zappi over the internet and once you get the hang of it is very easy to do

I wired in a dedicated circuit & cable when I built my house, 32Amp commando socket outside. Am just going to buy the Ohme cable from Octopus for £199 once I can get the electricity provider changed to them.
This is the cheapest way to do it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom