The 'Three Cars' icon

iainfm

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

Sorry for another noob question!

Can anyone tell me what the "three cars" icon on the LR dash means please? Page 37 of the (physical) owner's handbook says it's the "MG Pilot System Indicator". Amber means enabled, green means active, off means off.

Mine can be in any of these three states of its own volition (maybe it's speed/road condition-related?), and it seems to make no difference which state it's in. Adaptive Cruise Control, lane keep assist works and emergency auto-brake all work no matter what the light says.

I'm confused! What am I missing? :confused:

Distance to the car in front maybe ?
Hmmm, possibly, although with ACC enabled this morning I don't think I saw the 3-cars light once in any colour. But I was under 60mph all the way and on single carriageway roads.

The 3 cars seems to relate to when Lane Assist is active when using MG Pilot.

Green means it's locked to the lane, yellow means it can't see any line markings although it may well use the car in front to stay in lane. But if not you should notice the feel of the steering has changed.

Off is off, meaning you've probably just set ACC on its own

The 3 cars seems to relate to when Lane Assist is active when using MG Pilot.

Green means it's locked to the lane, yellow means it can't see any line markings although it may well use the car in front to stay in lane. But if not you should notice the feel of the steering has changed.

Off is off, meaning you've probably just set ACC on its own
I'll need to check this next time I drive, but isn't that what the lane-keep indicator is for? When it's green I can feel it steering for me and when it's yellow it disengages.

I was getting that this morning with no sign of the 3-cars indicator in any colour...

Was that lane assist as part of Mg Pilot ie when you pull back the AAC stick back twice? Or just Lane Assist on it's own?

lol

So tomorrow, Drive at whatever speed and press the button on the bottom left stalk. Then the usual up and down to get it to the right speed.

Then when somewhere appropriate (ie a road with decent markings) pull that stalk back towards you twice (you'll know its right because it bounces back), i'd say like twice in a second is about the right speed to do it, or the stalk equivalent of a mouse double click).

That turns on MG Pilot, which is LKA, AAC combined with the Traffic Jam Assist so it'll stop and start in a queue. (after 2-3 secs you'll have to reengage if you've stopped)

That's MG Pilot, if you're using the LKA button on the top left stalk AND AAC then it's not MG Pilot. (Anyone with more experience feel free to correct me on this!)

Didn't know that, thanks.

But if you've turned on AAC and used the upper stalk to turn on LKA, what extra is there in Pilot?

I think that AAC cannot be activated under a certain speed. Whereas MG Pilot works all the way to a stop and if you'd previously set a speed it can be resumed from standstill.

I didn't know about the two-pull method but nevertheless ACC takes me to a full stop. Occasionally askes me to press the accelerator to re-engage it from standstill - I think it's when you've been still for more than a few seconds.

Didn't know that, thanks.

But if you've turned on AAC and used the upper stalk to turn on LKA, what extra is there in Pilot?
LKA just follows lanes, (or correct if you go out of lane, or just notifies depending on the setting) and can only work at speed (min 37MPH / 60Km/h to activatee, and automatically deactivates below 33mph according to the book).

As said before, Pilot works down to stop. In addition, it can follow the car in front if the lanes aren't clear. (from the manual):

If the lane lines ahead on both sides are clear, the system
can assist the vehicle in driving within the lane lines. When
driving at low speed, if there is a vehicle ahead and the
lane lines ahead on both sides are not clear, the system
can provide assistance in following the track of the vehicle
ahead.

Another learning day :) I'll try it out tomorrow... I couldn't understand earlier why LKA was in standby, that's probably why. Ta :)

Tried the double-pull this morning, so I think it all makes sense now. I must have activated Pilot accidentally before while fiddling with the ACC stick!

Thanks again,
Iain

Ive been using this, its a little bit scary, especially on a roundabout, you need to have your wits about you. The car began to launch onto the roundabout as a car was coming round to my right.

Have a look at this video that was posted quite some time ago by a long term member of this forum Mike, regarding how LKA...Pilot etc all works. It was done on the ZS but now the 5 has MG Pilot it will apply equally to that.

On the new ZS the 3 cars light is indicating traffic jam assist is on.

I'm guessing it's the same on the MG5 Kithmo. Not clear what this brings you though, it seems the same as ACC to me - maintains space between you and the car in front.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom