The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

This is the last 5 weeks

Attachments

• IMG_20220514_175613941~2.jpg
    IMG_20220514_175613941~2.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 188
Impressive.
Was that normal driving or an attempt to stretch out the miles?

My normal driving around Thetford and beyond ... Last Sunday and Monday ... Thetford to Reigate across the Dartford crossing back to Braintree, Essex. ( Charge up) overnight and on to Clacton on Sea in the morning and back home to Thetford that night ... Eco mode and Kers 3 Always

We're well pleased with SWMBO's 70 reg SR Exclusive's range.
Went to the coast today, 89 miles and 145 miles left on the GOM, that means we're getting 235 miles range. That was with AC on probably 50% of the trip, I forgot to note the m/kWh on the way there, but on the way back we were getting 4.6 m/kWh with AC on 90% of the time.

Has anyone noticed the average mph not ever going above 55mph. Even when resetting and doing 70mph constant for miles...

On Saturday I thrashed the MG up the M6 at full motorway speeds with 4 on board plus a full boot, heating on 360 miles at 3.7 m/kwh overall 2 charge stops.

Came back today at 65, just one short charge stop in 365 miles, did 190 miles from 85% to 8% on the last leg averaging 4.3 m/kwh, heater on, raining & cold for half the route.

This beast can travel!

My figures for May. I probably won't do a month again, as I have several trips planned this summer and want to keep accumulative figures for those individually. Shame the current trip resets itself.

MG5May.jpg

Just looked at my figures. 360 miles north

M40-M42-M6 free flowing 70 mph - 214 miles range
M6 traffic not bad 65 mph - 234 miles range
M6-A7 mountains hard 70mph, poor weather - range = 196 miles

365 miles back

A roads - M6 mountains free flowing 65 mph = 222 miles range
M6 bad traffic - M42 busy - M40 60 mph = 247 miles range

So hard 70mph pushing it = just under 200 miles
Gentle 70 mph = 214 miles
65 mph = 230 miles
60 mph = 250 miles.

Useful. I'm travelling North in August and my overnight on the first night (where there are CCS chargers) is 187 miles away. I'll be at 100% when I take off so should be able to hoof it up there quite comfortably.

Useful. I'm travelling North in August and my overnight on the first night (where there are CCS chargers) is 187 miles away. I'll be at 100% when I take off so should be able to hoof it up there quite comfortably.
Start off driving carefully, calculating 2 miles per % as in 100% = 200 miles. Range drops early then levels off as regen gets better. My experience is that 200 miles is easily doable with a light right foot.

You need some courage to go into low single digit % but as long as you have a destination charger you're fine.

It might help I've learnt how to drive an EV economically?
Good luck

This picks up and develops a previous thread that was a good idea but never developed.
To contribute, you will need to reset your consumption display on the first of the month and post a pic of your Accumulated Total dash display on the last day of that month (or as soon thereafter as possible). Anyone that did a reset on 1st April can post now otherwise just remember to reset tomorrow and post at the end of May et seq. This will give a month by month snapshot of real consumption averaged over a variety of circumstances.
It would give some context if you could add to the post some information indicating which driving mode and KERS setting you spent most of your time in. It may also be worth mentioning whether you have a Standard or Long Range but I'm not sure whether this materially affects consumption.

I can raise an identical thread for the ZS if there is a demand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start by reposting my display from March (SR/Normal Mode/KERS3):

View attachment 8186

Followed by my display for April (SR/Normal Mode/KERS3):

View attachment 8185
I have just carried out an interesting experiment (Well I think it was interesting). A little while ago I charged my Standard Range 5 up to 100%, including a balance charge, and have just run it down as low as I dared. I got to 6% remaining. Since charging I have driven 246 miles using 94% of the charge. The GOM gives me 14 miles remaining. This gives me an estimate of just over 260 miles for the full charge, which I think is pretty good! (especially considering that the WLTP figure is 214 miles!!)

I monitored usage over this trial and there are some interesting features. In the run down to 80% I was getting estimates for total range of over 300 miles. (eg having driven 46 miles on 15% of the battery). Now I know that this is unrealistic, but does agree with similar figures that I have seen in the past when I have balance-charged the battery. For the remaining range I consistently achieved estimates in the region of 270 to 280 miles (eg calculated from 193 miles driven using 70% of the battery) until the battery dropped to about 25%. After that the total estimated range dropped to the 260's as the battery seemed to drain more quickly. This suggests that the car is most efficient when the battery is at a high state of charge, and that it runs out more quickly when the SOC drops below about 25%.

So... Overall, I think that this suggests that I should balance-charge every time, and recharge at about 25%, in order to get maximum mileage from a charge. I should point out that all this driving has been in Eco mode and Kers 3, in a warm weather period, the temperature typically in the mid teens, and all of the driving is local (Isle of Wight), maximum journey about 12 miles, and maximum speed about 50mph on most journeys. However, I find this interesting, and shows just what can be achieved in the standard range car in the right circumstances.

Incidentally, my overall mpkwh from April 1st is 4.6, and this includes a 400 mile holiday trip at motorway speeds with 4 adults on board, where I achieved about 4 mpkwh. Again I am very pleased with this figure for the SR.

I have just completed a journey and stopped for a top up at Baldock services on the A1 en route.
M1, m62 and A1 all the way. ACC at 65, 2 up plus luggage temp average 18 degrees. Figures before top up....
IMG_20220609_142613218_HDR.jpg

Re above post, I used the Ionity chargers, last one available out of 6 with the Bonnet app for a free charge. No bother starting charge with app and stopping it with the app. Used unlock in drivers door to unlock cable and Bob's your uncle.
It was a 350kw charger, no Idea what speed it delivered as toilets were calling. Returned to car after said ablutions and a coffee after 30 mins and was at 84% and charging at 37kW. Let it run up to 90% as no one was waiting before continuing journey.
There was an MG5 on one of the Gridserve chargers all the while I was there.

Back home in Leeds and I'm happy with the figures. Just over 600 miles at 4.3m/kWh. This was 90% on motorways and dual carriageway.
Left East Sussex, near Lewes with SOC 75% and decided as the stop going south at Baldock services (J10 A1) was so easy that we would call in there for our homeward top up.
Arrived at Baldock after 116 miles with SOC 28% and m/kWh at 4.5 (Used c. 47%).

The 6 Ionity and 2 Gridserve were all unoccupied so spoilt for choice. Hooked up to an Ionity which started charging at 80kW, courtesy of Bonnet and went for coffee. Came back and was at 90%, ample for the remaining 160 miles home.
I set google maps up for the journey and discovered that the A1 was blocked north of Nottingham and it re-routed me via the A57 and then M1, at a cost of an additional 20 miles.
An uneventful journey after that, ACC at 64, AirCon, on arriving home with SOC 22%.

For anyone travelling from the north to the south or vice versa I found the A1 to be more relaxing than the M1 and with plenty of charging places en-route. Baldock Services J10 of A1 was excellent and in just the right place distance wise from both ends of my journey.

As a side note what a nice feeling being 30 miles from end of a longish journey on the motorway and having 60 miles left on the GOM. ACC went up to 70 just because it could. :)

The picture below was taken morning after a overnight charge on Go.

Total journey.jpg

Last edited:
That's my first month with the 5LR. It should have another 169 miles on, due to me not understanding how the trip meter worked.

A combination of local driving with a trip to Leeds and back from Southampton, at motorway speeds, thrown in to dog sit. No problems encountered with charging on the trip and overall, I found it more relaxing a journey than previously with my Polo. Ohme charger installed today by Octopus. The engineers earned their pennies today as it heaved down most of the time they were working.

Happy days!

Attachments

• 20220627_182824.jpg
    20220627_182824.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 140
That's my first month with the 5LR. It should have another 169 miles on, due to me not understanding how the trip meter worked.

A combination of local driving with a trip to Leeds and back from Southampton, at motorway speeds, thrown in to dog sit. No problems encountered with charging on the trip and overall, I found it more relaxing a journey than previously with my Polo. Ohme charger installed today by Octopus. The engineers earned their pennies today as it heaved down most of the time they were working.

Happy days!
Which route and where did you stop for charging on your trip to Leeds? I ask as I m doing the exact reverse trip in August, Leeds to Southampton and return a week later.

Which route and where did you stop for charging on your trip to Leeds? I ask as I m doing the exact reverse trip in August, Leeds to Southampton and return a week later.
From Southampton I left with a full 100% and stopped at Moto Rugby at the Gridserve chargers. Slightly off course, but worth it for a new motorway services and rapid, rapid chargers. Twenty minutes had the car charged back to 85% which took me to the north side of Leeds with 35% left.

For the return, I charged at the Woolpack Inn at Guisley on a 75KW Osprey charger to 85% in 25minutes, before doing the trip in reverse, stopping at Rugby again.

Up trip was Saturday morning and at 11 ish there were plenty of unused chargers, as there were on the way bay about lunchtime. Max speed was 70, weather was nice and traffic not over busy.

Hope this helps.

From Southampton I left with a full 100% and stopped at Moto Rugby at the Gridserve chargers. Slightly off course, but worth it for a new motorway services and rapid, rapid chargers. Twenty minutes had the car charged back to 85% which took me to the north side of Leeds with 35% left.

For the return, I charged at the Woolpack Inn at Guisley on a 75KW Osprey charger to 85% in 25minutes, before doing the trip in reverse, stopping at Rugby again.

Up trip was Saturday morning and at 11 ish there were plenty of unused chargers, as there were on the way bay about lunchtime. Max speed was 70, weather was nice and traffic not over busy.

Hope this helps.
Thanks @jackois looks like a good plan, I know the Woolpack well :) .
I will be staying near J2 of the M27, for 1 night before parking up at the Port of Southampton for a while. Do you have any recommendations for a rapid around there to top up before heading back up north?

Last edited:
My June figures will be distorted because my totals were reset when the service was done on the 22nd. I can say that my average from 1-22 June was 4.3 miles/kWh.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom