The Ultimate MG5 "Real World" Energy Consumption Thread

All commuter mileage this month, starting to drop now after a few mornings with the heater and lights on.
Sept.jpg

Therein lies my confusion the FL Trophy is 235 miles , as you say , the FL SE is 250 miles ( with 16" wheels ) . The Trophy is only 8KG heavier

Therein lies my confusion the FL Trophy is 235 miles , as you say , the FL SE is 250 miles ( with 16" wheels ) . The Trophy is only 8KG heavier
The wheels are the reason.

I get that , but an almost 20% reduction in efficiency seems high
The average facelift model efficiency reports here are about 9% below the pre-facelift reports. My theory on factors which contribute to this:
  1. The software is calculating efficiency in a different way. This is not confirmed, but I have not seen any comparison between the two on actual vs reported efficiency (measuring AC KWh reported by charger divided by distance covered). I have a suspicion that the reported efficiencies on the facelift model are more accurate. I have seen reports that the pre-facelift is over reporting on efficiency (in this example it reported 4.1m/kwh, while the calculated efficiency was 3.63mi/kwh. DC charging so I assume higher losses than AC)
  2. Wheel sizes - the facelift is available with larger wheels which hurt efficiency. This is well documented.
  3. Small sample size - there are only 2 facelift contributors to this thread: I can see that their average speed is ~12% higher than the pre-facelift reports for example. With such a small sample size individual driving style can be an issue - or maybe they live in a colder place or commute into a headwind!
  4. Low mileage vehicles. I've not been able to ratify this with data but Alb is reporting that as his car ages the reported efficiency is increasing (drivetrain friction reducing?). On average the facelift models reported have ~6k lower total mileage.
  5. I'm not sure what battery size everyone is reporting, maybe this is a factor.

Last edited:
.. a 12% higher speed will result in a 25% higher air resistance and energy consumption but…

…unfortunately standstill times between trips or sitting in traffic is also taken into account so actual vs displayed average speed figures can vary a lot.

.. a 12% higher speed will result in a 25% higher air resistance and energy consumption but…

…unfortunately standstill times between trips or sitting in traffic is also taken into account so actual vs displayed average speed figures can vary a lot.
For sure, but there is also a clear correlation in the data posted here between monthly AVG speed and efficiency, so it cannot be discounted despite being individually flawed.

Absolutely, the Physics cannot be discounted, air resistance and therefore energy use changes by velocity^2. (Double the speed -> 4 times air resistance therefore increased energy use)

Identical journeys with different average speeds will therefore result in different efficiency rates, but these averages are based on journey and not moving times..

If we really want to figure out if the efficiency has changed with FL models then one needs to compare like with like:

• find 2 cars (pre/post FL) with similar mileage
  • put 4 new tyres on and inflate to MGs recommend pressure
  • charge both to 100%
  • do identical journeys (Indy 500 track comes to mind)
  • measure energy required to reach 100% SOC
  • repeat above a couple of times
  • compare

… we may never get to the bottom of this I’m afraid…

MG5 Mk1 Long Range. Quite impressed with this average after a holiday in Devon, particularly at this time of year with the unhelpful weather. This included getting down there and back from the Wirral, so mostly motorway. Whilst there I often used sport mode and kers 3 for the hills around where we were staying, otherwise left it on normal and 2 the rest of the time.

Attachments

• 20231028_110115.jpg
    20231028_110115.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 42
I went for a 90+mile jaunt, today. The temperature was between 9 and 12 degrees, so I was quite pleased with 4.4m/kWh.

We are into the 22nd page of this thread now, so just a quick reminder for folk who want to contribute to this thread on what the original intent was (copying from post #1):

To contribute, you will need to reset your consumption display on the first of the month and post a pic of your Accumulated Total dash display on the last day of that month (or as soon thereafter as possible). Anyone that did a reset on 1st October can post now otherwise just remember to reset tomorrow and post at the end of Nov et seq. This will give a month by month snapshot of real consumption averaged over a variety of circumstances.

Some people post more irregular consumption updates and that is fine too - I don't want to prevent people from posting; I'm just aware that some people may not be aware of the monthly intent.

We are into the 22nd page of this thread now, so just a quick reminder for folk who want to contribute to this thread on what the original intent was (copying from post #1):

To contribute, you will need to reset your consumption display on the first of the month and post a pic of your Accumulated Total dash display on the last day of that month (or as soon thereafter as possible). Anyone that did a reset on 1st October can post now otherwise just remember to reset tomorrow and post at the end of Nov et seq. This will give a month by month snapshot of real consumption averaged over a variety of circumstances.

Some people post more irregular consumption updates and that is fine too - I don't want to prevent people from posting; I'm just aware that some people may not be aware of the monthly intent.
Timely reminder (y)

Here's mine for October:

October 2023 pic.jpg

October 2023 Image.png

Buoyed up by a relatively mild month and although the mileage was low (even for me), it still reflects a balance of motorway, rural and town driving in Normal mode with KERS set at 3.

I have no figure for this month as I had the Radio Module Disconnected fault.
This then drained the 12v battety and gave me a low 12v battery warning last week and yesterday the 12v battery was dead and I had to use my booster pack to start the car.
This then reset the trip counter. The car was in the garage today and they did a second update for this fault. Lets see if that helps.

Last edited:
Not looking forward to proper cold wet weather based on October’s results. Couple of 2C cold mornings, wind, rain and it really shows. That and more motorway miles this month.

Had an interesting journey where battery stayed at 93% for 10miles after disconnecting from work 7kW charger. It then proceeded to drop as expected. Working back from end % and efficiency I think it should have started at 97%

IMG_1175.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom