Think MG Dealership swapped my Alloy Wheels? Anyone had this experience before?

skynett

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I dropped my car off yesterday at the dealership for an update to the software due to reported low pressure being reported in my rear Tyre (for the second time) only to get a call that this was due to a puncture in the said tyre, I had 2 options repair or replace I chose to repair. I picked up my car thi morning only to see my wheel covered in very deep scratches which doesn't look fresh either, Unfortunately I didn't do a walk around the car when I dropped it off but I am certain I didnt bash my wheel against anything.

Anyone experienced something like this before?

IMG_20230818_143004.jpg

Anyone else drive it? I have my dearly beloved and daughter driving mine - but to be honest I am most likely to kerb the wheels
My Mrs but probably less than 3 times since I have had the car because she's paranoid she might scratch it but am certain she hasnt driven it the last time I washed the car and the scarcth wasnt there

Previous owner had fitted metal valve caps to my daughter's Polo. Looked lovely, but had to take one wheel to the tyre fitters to get the valve replaced as it was corroded solid, and valve stem got damaged in my efforts to remove.
Same for me, but mine were pressure sensor caps for a TPMS, on a car that hadn't got one. I used to turn them every week so they didn't lock up. Forgot for a month, all were corroded solid, galvanic corrosion between two metals. Stupidly I tried turning one with pliers and ripped the valve off, so I had one deflated tyre on a sloping drive. I couldn't jack the car up on a slope. I had to get the AA out, and then get all the valve stems replaced by a garage.

In a million years, I would never use any valve cap other than a plastic one, no matter how nice it looked.

I didnt think these wheels could look any worse but i guess i was wrong. All 4 of mine sit in a pile in the garage. Got to be the ugliest wheels ever made.

I didnt think these wheels could look any worse but i guess i was wrong. All 4 of mine sit in a pile in the garage. Got to be the ugliest wheels ever made.
Assuming you are talking about the 17" wheels on the Phase 1 MG4, they were intended to have the aero covers over them so looking good was probably at the bottom of the list - cheapest choice I wpuld think. Surprised they are alloys really, could have gone steel.

Assuming you are talking about the 17" wheels on the Phase 1 MG4, they were intended to have the aero covers over them so looking good was probably at the bottom of the list - cheapest choice I wpuld think. Surprised they are alloys really, could have gone steel.
I think they did go steel in some countries.

Yep, it is the same thing with rear brakes, the MG4s might be small, but at least they are discs, some makes have gone for drums.
Given that in lower mileage user cases, they have seen premature replacing of the rear discs and pads, due to rust and putting, I am not so sure now that drums could well be a better option TBH.
At least they offer better protection from bad weather conditions.

Aero covers make no difference at all the only use is to cover the 80s alloy. I changed my wheels after 2 months of ownership and no difference to economy at all. Stock wheels will go back on come winter.

Given that in lower mileage user cases, they have seen premature replacing of the rear discs and pads, due to rust and putting, I am not so sure now that drums could well be a better option TBH.
Drums are better for the parking brake as well. the cooling of the drums after use applies the parking brake firmer. Cooling discs shrink, easing pressure off the parking brake.
There were some cases of early cars equipped with rear discs running away when parked due to this.

Yes, modern drums may be better for small EVs. However, I was really making the point that they could have saved more money here but chose not to.

Aero covers make no difference at all the only use is to cover the 80s alloy. I changed my wheels after 2 months of ownership and no difference to economy at all. Stock wheels will go back on come winter.
They typically improve efficiency 1-2% but of course it depends how you drive, whether other factors dominate and whether you care - I don't care myself, and I happen to like the look of the covers, so I've stuck with the stock setup.

I see the fitting of these basic alloys as a pure cost cutting measure on the ZS EV model at least.
The original Gen 1 ZS EV had diamond cut wheels, maybe the windmill design was not to everybody’s taste, but at least there were a diamond cut rim that looked half tidy.
Yes - They could have gone for steel rims with aero covers, but that would have added more weight, meaning less efficiency / range.
EV drivers are constantly searching for more range for less money spent 🤣.
So, we arrive at basic older style alloys, with a more modern design plastic cover to try and smarten up the appearance.
I think MG where fully aware that these basis alloys did not really do the car much justice in the appears department, or they would not have included the plastic covers at more expense, had they looked half decent.
Alloy wheel design is always going to be a personal choice, that’s why the third party manufacturers sell so many every year.
If you have the storage space and the budget, it is nice to have the facility to run summer and winter rims ( with winter tyres ) at your disposal.
I once owned a BMW that came equipped with steel rims.
I used these thorough the winter and then switched out to a set of nice looking alloys for the summer months.

I'm still waiting, from childhood, for manufacturers to fit moon disc trims as standard as pictured in many futuristic sci-fi films. 😊

Yes, modern drums may be better for small EVs. However, I was really making the point that they could have saved more money here but chose not to.
The VAG group have gone drums on the rear on the ID3 and ID4 is my understand.
If you consider that 75% of the braking is carrying out by the fronts on many cars, then drums should have no difficulty dealing with the rear braking when you also include the Regen braking on a EV into the mix as well.
I think on a non performance car, the braking efficiency lost between discs and drums on the rear is negligible.
Especially when the rest discs are rusty and pitted due to the lack of use and protection from road salt etc.
Flipping out the rear discs and pads due to rust can become an expensive past time on EV’s.
Given the choice, I would favour drums for longevity and cheaper service costs.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back