This Car [ dealer ] Has Been A Disaster. [ resolved ]

I hope that you get it sorted and start to enjoy the car

Just a bit of info that may help you, there's basically 3 types of charging/cables

Slow - 3kW Using the 13amp granny charger cable that you should've been given. this really is a trickle charge, you'll get very roughly 12-15 miles range for each hour charged

Fast - 7-22KW, this uses a type 2 cable, normally used at the likes of tesco, or if you have a home charging socket. You can get this cable for about £130 from Amazon (Search for, Type 2 cable, single phase, 32Amp)

Rapid Greater than 22KW - eg Motorway service station and other rapid chargers, these use their own tethered cables

Most people tend to carry their own granny and type 2 cable
7kW is single phase AC. For 22kW AC (not supported by the UK ZS EV), you need a 3-phase cable that can deliver 7kW on each phase.

This is exactly why I havbe a tethered charger already installed and waiting for my new ZS (if it ever turns up) as I do not want to have to go through all of this that you have. Hopefully you can get it sorted, and for what it is worth you will want to invest in a type2 cable for use on public 7kw chargers (like what you see at tesco).
It is on order, just the car arrived faster :)

Don't know how prevalent CCS chargers are in your neck of the wood, but if this has been me, i would just have gone to the nearest CCS fast charger and given it a "blitz"

I did a couple of fast charges yesterday, one from 8% til 95% in 1 hour 15 minutes, and only this long, because i was doing some border shopping and needed to get something to eat as it was 6 PM.

From 8 until just before 80% it was REALLY sucking the cable hard...Nearly 90 KWh most of the time, but when it got to 80 it dropped to 20 KWh, and right before 90% it dropped to about 5 KWh.

In reality, it took no more than about 40 minutes to go from 8 to 80 %.

I then drove it on the motorway at 110 kph on the cruise control, and the calculated real range is somewhere in the range of about 350 km, this is offcourse from 100% to 0% so not really feasible, but you can easily get 300 km from a full battery, before you need to charge. (If there is a charger at that exact point on your trip).. (And if you ignore the very angry lady saying the battery is low and to recharge as soon as possible....From 20% down)
Well now I know that rapid chargers are always tethered I would have done the same. A helpful dealership would probably have informed me of this work around rather than having to join a forum to get help.

I appreciate your time responding to me. Thank you.

The other thing that's worth knowing for situations like this is that there are peer-to-peer charging services like Co-Charger and Zap-Home. If there's someone nearby who's signed up as a host you can get a handy charge on their driveway, usually at a decent price.

The other thing that's worth knowing for situations like this is that there are peer-to-peer charging services like Co-Charger and Zap-Home. If there's someone nearby who's signed up as a host you can get a handy charge on their driveway, usually at a decent price.
Thank you. I did post to social media for help to no avail but something more formal is worth looking at.

Do you have any experience with this? I have a charger at home currently but no EV because of.. well everyone here knows why :D And would be good to get a bit of cash as we have the space...

Do you have any experience with this? I have a charger at home currently but no EV because of.. well everyone here knows why :D And would be good to get a bit of cash as we have the space...
No first hand experience, I read a couple of favourable reviews and thought I must register our charger on one/both of the 'sites. But with one thing and another I haven't got round to it yet.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom