tow bar electrics

Davecut1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I know I am possibly a pioneer here but I have fitted my own witter tow bar, which went better than expected, but I am struggling with the electrics, I think I am right in saying everyone with a tow bar has had it professionally fitted, please put me right if you have fitted your own. It said in the literature that a zr2500 relay was required so I ordered one and attempted the wiring. but the biggest problem is it requires a 12volt supply at the rear of the car that powers down when car is locked and shut down. so my only solution is running a cable from the fuse box the length of the car somehow, as I cant find a suitable supply at the rear. I also need to find which fuse to use in the fuse box that powers down when locked. and does not affect any other circuits. any thoughts would be welcomed. many thanks. Dave.

I know I am possibly a pioneer here but I have fitted my own witter tow bar, which went better than expected, but I am struggling with the electrics, I think I am right in saying everyone with a tow bar has had it professionally fitted, please put me right if you have fitted your own. It said in the literature that a zr2500 relay was required so I ordered one and attempted the wiring. but the biggest problem is it requires a 12volt supply at the rear of the car that powers down when car is locked and shut down. so my only solution is running a cable from the fuse box the length of the car somehow, as I cant find a suitable supply at the rear. I also need to find which fuse to use in the fuse box that powers down when locked. and does not affect any other circuits. any thoughts would be welcomed. many thanks. Dave.
I had mine installed with the "official" electrics and it still required a supply running from the fuse box. I don't know which fuse though sorry..

Just looked on the Witter site, did it really cost £956 to fit yourself?

I think you will find that's the fitted price. I bought mine on ebay £370. And fitted myself it's not too difficult if you are a reasonable mechanic. I am happy to give you advice if you decide to give it a go. Dave.

I think you will find that's the fitted price. I bought mine on ebay £370. And fitted myself it's not too difficult if you are a reasonable mechanic. I am happy to give you advice if you decide to give it a go. Dave.
Phew, that's more reasonable, did that price include the electrics kit?

Is the witter electrics kit connector based or just blank tails you have to splice in?

Good luck with running a wire to the back, sure it's not too challenging.

If you find the threads on dash cams, there is a fair amount of discussion as to fuses for a switched or unswitched supply.

Thanks for the offer of advice

The electric relay I bought separately it's a zr2500 you will find them on ebay for around £30. And you have to do your own thing with the electrics. But there are general instructions with the relay. And thanks for mentioning the thread on dash cams I will check it out. Where in Devon are you? Dave.

The electric relay I bought separately it's a zr2500 you will find them on ebay for around £30. And you have to do your own thing with the electrics. But there are general instructions with the relay. And thanks for mentioning the thread on dash cams I will check it out. Where in Devon are you? Dave.
Thanks, just off the A30 by the Cornish border.

So just for clarity, wiring is cut and splice, there's no simple single multi pin connector on the car waiting to be plugged into?

I didn't find one. I posed this question a couple of months back and had no replies. So I spliced in on the n/s and o/s rear lights and the wire running to the rear fog. MG always planned for this car to tow so I don't understand why they didn't fit a plug in the harness like manufacturer's do. I fitted a tow bar to my freelander and there is a plug built into the harness by the o/s rear wheel arch. This company Siac who bought the MG name are obviously new to this industry and I think they are still in a sharp learning curve, looking at all the glitches people are having with their cars. Dave.

I didn't find one. I posed this question a couple of months back and had no replies. So I spliced in on the n/s and o/s rear lights and the wire running to the rear fog. MG always planned for this car to tow so I don't understand why they didn't fit a plug in the harness like manufacturer's do. I fitted a tow bar to my freelander and there is a plug built into the harness by the o/s rear wheel arch. This company Siac who bought the MG name are obviously new to this industry and I think they are still in a sharp learning curve, looking at all the glitches people are having with their cars. Dave.
From watching my fitter, it looked like theres a plug in passenger side trim above rear wheel

I had a to bar fitted to my SE SR yesterday. The company ordered MY22 electric kit. My car is an MY23.Unfortunately the connector that connects the car electrics to the tow electrics is different in the 2 model years, so did not fit my car. Replacement on the way. Anyone getting a tow bar remember to say the model year?

A picture would be much appreciated to see if it detracts from the car appearance please.

Is the visible part detachable?

Thks

A picture would be much appreciated to see if it detracts from the car appearance please.

Is the visible part detachable?

Thks
Yes the towbar is detachable nothing really to see

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_151828.jpg
    IMG_20231104_151828.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 110
MG4 is prepared for canbus connection of the trailer connector, no cutting or splicing of the electrical is necessary if you use the correct wiring set. The exception is, of course, the power supply for the canbus trailer module (which you connect to the canbus plug up on the wheel housing), you have to stretch a cable to the fuse box and use a angeled power take-off fuse holder similar to the one used by those who install the camera.

On my car, the fitters connected the power outlet to a fuse in the fuse box next to the steering wheel, but the car's owner's manual says there is a dedicated fuse prepared in the fuse box under the hood.

Here is the post where I published the assembly instructions, the tread got pictures and so on that members might find useful.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back