tow bar electrics

We're just finalising the purchase of an MG4 Luxury here in Spain (which in UK is the Trophy) and have been quoted around €1000 (approx £870) for it. I thought this was a bit steep, but maybe it is in the ball park after all? Has anyone else had any quotes for costs to fit one, please?

As an aside, here in Spain fitting an item like this needs to be done by an approved technician and the item added to the vehicles ITV certificate. This is a kind of technical specifaction with engine & chassis specs, tyre sizes, and other accessories recorded which then become subject to the ITV (equiv. MOT) inspections. As a result fitting items like this yourself is pretty problematical and, to be honest, not worth the candle most times. Even fitting fog lights can be an issue - anything that wasn't an original option by the manufacturer falls into this as well as fitting them post purchase. Adding solar panels to a motorhome or caravan now comes into this so it can be real minefield. So.. if you wants it you gotta pay for it!

I am also living in Spain. I tried to get a tow bar fitted by the MG garage Alicate before taking delivery but, there wasn’t a EU approved available at the time. (There still isn’t according to NORAUTO they have been promising me one for months). NORAUTO will do the whole job for you including the addition to the ITV (MOT) but they haven’t come up with a price yet. One thing that may stop me is the requirement that, once a tow bar is fitted to the car, it seems to need an ITV every six months. I am beginning to think it’s not worth it just for my little trailer.

. One thing that may stop me is the requirement that, once a tow bar is fitted to the car, it seems to need an ITV every six months
Not sure that's right about 6 month checks. We've had tow packs on a Land cruiser and a Rav4 we used for our business here for the last 16 years and the ITV regime was as per normal. Only extra thing is that while in the "tunnel of terror" that plug in a wall mounted trailer board to test the electrics - they may check the fastenings while doing the rear axle checks at the end of the test as well.

Yes the towbar is detachable nothing really to see
Slightly different from the Dutch version 🫤.
This is my MG with towbar detached.

Attachments

• IMG_7864.jpeg
    IMG_7864.jpeg
    692.4 KB · Views: 71
We're just finalising the purchase of an MG4 Luxury here in Spain (which in UK is the Trophy) and have been quoted around €1000 (approx £870) for it. I thought this was a bit steep, but maybe it is in the ball park after all? Has anyone else had any quotes for costs to fit one, please?

As an aside, here in Spain fitting an item like this needs to be done by an approved technician and the item added to the vehicles ITV certificate. This is a kind of technical specifaction with engine & chassis specs, tyre sizes, and other accessories recorded which then become subject to the ITV (equiv. MOT) inspections. As a result fitting items like this yourself is pretty problematical and, to be honest, not worth the candle most times. Even fitting fog lights can be an issue - anything that wasn't an original option by the manufacturer falls into this as well as fitting them post purchase. Adding solar panels to a motorhome or caravan now comes into this so it can be real minefield. So.. if you wants it you gotta pay for it!
I believe this is a typical price because there is electrical system work needed and some physical alterations to make room depending on the type of towbar. Not had it done myself but heard similar figures from others who have.

I had a to bar fitted to my SE SR yesterday. The company ordered MY22 electric kit. My car is an MY23.Unfortunately the connector that connects the car electrics to the tow electrics is different in the 2 model years, so did not fit my car. Replacement on the way. Anyone getting a tow bar remember to say the model year?
Hi Steve. I see that Witter offer a towbar for MG4 but the connector only fits non-rear wiper models. I’m taking delivery of the new MG4 SE in a couple of months and intend to fit myself, having done a few in the past. Whose bar and electric kit did you use?

I know I am possibly a pioneer here but I have fitted my own witter tow bar, which went better than expected, but I am struggling with the electrics, I think I am right in saying everyone with a tow bar has had it professionally fitted, please put me right if you have fitted your own. It said in the literature that a zr2500 relay was required so I ordered one and attempted the wiring. but the biggest problem is it requires a 12volt supply at the rear of the car that powers down when car is locked and shut down. so my only solution is running a cable from the fuse box the length of the car somehow, as I cant find a suitable supply at the rear. I also need to find which fuse to use in the fuse box that powers down when locked. and does not affect any other circuits. any thoughts would be welcomed. many thanks. Dave.
As this might be useful for others, here are a picture of where my dealership choose to take the 12V power to the relay kit (passenger compartment fusebox and 90 degree power out take). Also have a look at my post #20 in this thread as it have a link to a post that might be of interest.

Be aware my car is a MY22.

Attachments

• 20231027_172810.jpg
    20231027_172810.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 45

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%