Tow bar

Sounds like a good deal. Who did you use?
Just with PF Jones, as randomly I saw a van on the school run this evening (at least I think it was!)- so have just contacted them, to accept the quote, so will let you all know how I get on over the next few weeks

Last edited:
Well I've just got a quote fitted at home:-
Thank you for your interest.

All inclusive estimated total cost for supply and fit is: £569.67 (inc. VAT)​

:):)
Well that didn't end well :cry:

Adam
Staff - 04/03/2024 8:30 AM

Hi Jonathan, We wouldn't install on such a new, electric vehicle with a universal wiring kit sorry. We can only supply the parts to you if you can have a local garage install them.
There are still no vehicle specific wiring kits available for your vehicle I'm afraid.

Kind regards
ADAM
SALES ASSISTANT
phone.png
0161 886 5796
PF Jones Head Office | Nuttall Street, Old Trafford, Manchester
www.pfjones.co.uk |

P.F. Jones (Diesel Services) Ltd. is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 608722. Registered office: Nuttall Street, Old Trafford, Manchester, M169JA.
WARNING: Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email,
the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy

Well that didn't end well :cry:

Adam
Staff - 04/03/2024 8:30 AM

Hi Jonathan, We wouldn't install on such a new, electric vehicle with a universal wiring kit sorry. We can only supply the parts to you if you can have a local garage install them.
There are still no vehicle specific wiring kits available for your vehicle I'm afraid.

Kind regards
ADAM
SALES ASSISTANT
phone.png
0161 886 5796
PF Jones Head Office | Nuttall Street, Old Trafford, Manchester
www.pfjones.co.uk |

P.F. Jones (Diesel Services) Ltd. is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 608722. Registered office: Nuttall Street, Old Trafford, Manchester, M169JA.
WARNING: Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email,
the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
My mg4 is arriving in 2 weeks (24 reg 😊)
I see PF Jones selling the Brink detachable for £244 and The Towbar Store selling an ECS wiring kit for £150 (model with rear wiper). So it looks like £394 plus fitting, which I’ll probably do myself. In my experience of doing this on other vehicles, the most difficult part of the wiring install is usually taking a cable forwards to the bonnet area for a fused 12V supply, due to trim panels.

My mg4 is arriving in 2 weeks (24 reg 😊)
I see PF Jones selling the Brink detachable for £244 and The Towbar Store selling an ECS wiring kit for £150 (model with rear wiper). So it looks like £394 plus fitting, which I’ll probably do myself. In my experience of doing this on other vehicles, the most difficult part of the wiring install is usually taking a cable forwards to the bonnet area for a fused 12V supply, due to trim panels.

Thanks for the heads up - Looks like mine would be https://www.ecs-electronicsuk.co.uk/ecsdata/manuals/MG00807U.pdf - which looks like plug & play -

Last edited:
I’m considering having a tow bar fitted to my Trophy, but wanted to see some video of how the car handles, range loss, when towing etc. To my amazement, there are ZERO videos on YT showing the MG4 towing or any reviews. Can someone who tows, please do a review and upload it. Thanks.

I’m considering having a tow bar fitted to my Trophy, but wanted to see some video of how the car handles, range loss, when towing etc. To my amazement, there are ZERO videos on YT showing the MG4 towing or any reviews. Can someone who tows, please do a review and upload it. Thanks.
It's like any other car. With a standard rental trailer with grids around it I went from maybe 1.5kWh/10km to 2kWh/10km when doing 80km/h. I would prefer a trailer without brakes to regenerate more. It works fine, but you can feel that you are towing something. Thinks one without brakes acts better.

Takes a lot of time and effort to do videos. I will ask around to see if I can find an MG4 with towbar as don't have one on my Gen 1 ZS.

What's the towing weight and nose weight of that caravan? (MG4 spec is 500kg towing and 50kg nose).

PS - I have not watched the video. Apologies if the info is specified therein.

I set the YouTube options to auto-generate captions and auto-translate. Seemed to work ok, but I didn't stick around to watch much of the video.

Hi guys I am looking to sort out my tow bar electrics this summer. And have noted that ecs are now doing an electrical kit to fit the MG4 but it is quite pricey at £277. Does anyone know of any other companies making an electrics kit for the MG4.

so no replies to my question so I guess I am having to shell out £277
I don't know the answer, sorry, I do know some people have had one fitted and it was a reasonably expensive job with the electrics and making a cut out for the towbar and then the fitting etc... It doesn't seem trivial.

There are some other threads on this that you might want to look at:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel