Tow bar

Just out of curiosity I did some Googling to find out whether it's possible to get caravans under the 500kg limit. (I've absolutely zero knowledge in this area!)
This one came back as about the only result I could find (though I don't be paying £20k anytime soon)

No good. The nose weight is 74kg the MG4 can only take 50kg. I'll have to find another cramped, luxury free, range reducing tin can...NOT 🤣

As I said, I know nothing. I'm off to Google nose weight!
51SFx2H6cpL._AC_.jpg

??
;)

I got a reply from Witter that the bar is nearly ready and will be on sale in Jan 23
I know nothing about these things, so please tolerate a potentially stupid question: is it possible to get a "retracting/detachable towbar?" and I guess, is this likely for the MG4.
I often have to park in very tight on-street spaces and so a permanent tow bar could be irritating.

I know nothing about these things, so please tolerate a potentially stupid question: is it possible to get a "retracting/detachable towbar?" and I guess, is this likely for the MG4.
I often have to park in very tight on-street spaces and so a permanent tow bar could be irritating.
It is but whether or not one is developed for the MG4 you'll have to ask the manufacturer of the towbar.

I had a detachable tow bar fitted to my last 2 cars both a different design and they both was such a pain to remove each time, especially if left for any length of time, that I never bothered after a number of usages. This time I will not bother and save myself some cash.

You can get tow brackets that are attached out of site with a Swan neck tow ball that detaches. I don't know if this is the design that witter is planning, they do tend to be more expensive we will have to wait and see what they come up with. Dave.

I had a detachable tow bar fitted to my last 2 cars both a different design and they both was such a pain to remove each time, especially if left for any length of time, that I never bothered after a number of usages. This time I will not bother and save myself some cash.
It would tend to be a case of attaching it for a few days at a time (extended holiday capacity basically) and leaving it off the vast majority of the time.

Has anyone heard an update on this. I've ordered my car and it should be here next month but I won't be going ahead if there's no towbar available. Need it for mountain bike

Has anyone heard an update on this. I've ordered my car and it should be here next month but I won't be going ahead if there's no towbar available. Need it for mountain bike
If it’s just the one bike, I reckon you’ll easily get it in with the back seats down and passenger seat forward. Of course, if it’s two or three you’ve got then you’ll be needing the tow bar.

You can buy a nose weight scales about £10.
Then load the rear of the caravan / trailer so that you only have a hook weight of 75 kg which is the ideal nose weight so that you don’t get snaking
Use mine every time I used my caravan

I believe witter are designing one and if my memory serves me well someone said its being released on the 23rd.
I read this as well but contacted Witter and their response is below:

Thank you for your enquiry, we do not have a date for when we will have this towbar in, please check back in 6-8 weeks to see if we have any news on the development of this.

Thank you,

With kind regards
Seren Smallwood
| Automotive Aftermarket Europe

I guess we will have to wait and see.

If it’s just the one bike, I reckon you’ll easily get it in with the back seats down and passenger seat forward. Of course, if it’s two or three you’ve got then you’ll be needing the tow bar.
When I went for a test drive I measured the boot space to see how it compared with my ZS. The measurements were basically the same. I know that I will be able to get my eMTB into the MG4 with the front wheel off as I currently do with my ZS.

However, I am going to invest in a tow bar when one becomes available.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back