Towbar in Australia?

ADHD

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
A 51kW hatch (not the colour that I ordered) is within grasp here in the land where we compare our fuel efficiency standards with Russia's.
It can tow my baby box trailer if only I can find a towbar to fit it!
Dealer does not know where to look or whether the bar for the other EV will fit.
Do any of your members know?

A 51kW hatch (not the colour that I ordered) is within grasp here in the land where we compare our fuel efficiency standards with Russia's.
It can tow my baby box trailer if only I can find a towbar to fit it!
Dealer does not know where to look or whether the bar for the other EV will fit.
Do any of your members know?
Are Witter towbars available where you are as I believe they make one for the MG4 over here.

If it helps I am told that genuine MG towbar kit might be avail in WA at least around Dec 23. Approx cost $1400 fitted

It looks like the Tow bar situation may have changed in Australia.

Our Long Range 77 is on its way from China. And I'm looking into tow bar options here in Aus. I'm not intending on towing a trailer but using a cargo carrier instead. I'm thinking bike rack and mobile fridge/freezer for trips away. No tax to pay on a rack and should get away with no extra light bar, shackles and chains.

My local dealer has just sent me some recent pics of the official MG tow bar that was dealer installed for a recent customer. Another option is from a company called EV Stealth in Sydney.

The MG/dealer option (if you zoom in) appears to have a rather large cut out in the bump/rear panel. Which i'm not that impressed with. The EV Stealth version is Aussie made and has a much smaller cut out underneath the rear panel facing downwards. Is there an intended area on the rear panel for cutting in a towbar? Both have gooseneck and hitch options and a wiring loom. The cost is about the same $800-$900 , but the MG one is fitted free by the dealer (who will also fit the Stealth one for $400) The Stealth option would probably get here quicker and claims a 100Kg down weight. No down weight details on the MG bar. The MG bar appears higher by a few cm. I like the idea of the dealer fitting the bar, they've probably got more knowledge regarding the wiring of a recent EV.

The Aussie version is almost invisible once the hitch attachment is removed when not in use. Tow bars are new to me, so I might be missing something in the pictures. Do different models have slight different rear panels/bumpers. My current, soon to be retired ,17 year old diesel Peugeot couldn't have a tow bar. At least not without taking out a third mortgage. I won't miss the thumping vibration from the diesel lump thats for sure.

Attachments

• MG_towbar_001.png
    MG_towbar_001.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • MG_towbar_002.png
    MG_towbar_002.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Aus_towbar_001.png
    Aus_towbar_001.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Aus_towbar_004.png
    Aus_towbar_004.png
    670.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Aus_towbar_002.png
    Aus_towbar_002.png
    409.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Aus_towbar_003.png
    Aus_towbar_003.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
I had mine fitted by the dealer and it's the genuine MG supplied item. Couldn't be happier with it. Don't stress about the cut out it's not anything structural or part of the bumper. You won't even notice it. I use mine to take bikes. Main reason to go with MG one is there can be no debate ever on warranty issues and that's why I have used genuine MG stuff for everything (V2L, wall charger, towbar) you will hear debates on price etc but if you haggle these as inclusions at time of purchase they were very cheap as an "accessories pack". Re down weight, I think the MG one is 50kg so that might be your reasoning for one over the other. I know that there was an issue fitting the stealth one in Oz to then77kw vehicles as there was difference underbody and I think stealth had to reengineer a new model to fit that specific car. Again no issue with the genuine one. If your located on the west coast, happy to show it to you if that helps.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back