• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Towbar on MG ZS EV

Very interesting. As it’s a European Directive (dating from 1994) it should be implemented in a similar way across all member states which is why it would be very interesting to know what the type approval certificate of the tow bar says. But a quick look at the European site produces this. Methinks a note to MG UK would be in order.
The brand is WITTER, I think it is British.

Doesn't have to be a warning light, audiable is fine and kits for wiring without messing up or effecting the original system are readily available. The only issue is the lack of type approval. I think most would be happy with 500kg for small trailer towing, its not as if you'd be pulling a caravan with just over 40kWh of battery anyway!
Precisely, just the point I made at the start. If the ICE version is sturdy enough, then surely the EV is also. Nobody is going for long hauls with this size of battery.

But that takes us back to the type approval issue. If there’s no warning light on the dash, or perhaps a buzzer, then the vehicle hasn’t been approved for towing. The fact that an aftermarket cable harness doesn’t activate the vehicle warning system and has its own audible warning is a different issue.
I’ve written to MG UK enclosing a copy of the screen shot from the European website asking them why the difference. I suspect that the European one isn’t actually intended for towing, despite its name, as the feature is described as “An additional 75kg vertical load to expand your horizons”. This might suggest cycle carriers rather than trailers?

The brand is WITTER, I think it is British.
That’s what I have on my Land Rover and I had a very lengthy debate with them about the towbar which had a sticker with a lower S value than advertised. They do rather play fast and loose with type approval I’d have to say. I bet if you asked for the type approval certificate it would be for an ICE ZS.

Precisely, just the point I made at the start. If the ICE version is sturdy enough, then surely the EV is also. Nobody is going for long hauls with this size of battery.
(I must get the hang of multiple quotes!) It's nothing to do with sturdy or otherwise - the manufacturer has just apparently opted to not submit it for type approval for towing.

A year ago I tried to get in contact with MG Europe in regard of the possibility of a towbar fitted to a MG ZS EV, because we where starting to consider the car as our next car.
I got a kind answer back, that they where working on it as a future possibility, unfortunately so far it's only approved to carry bikes. For what reason the towing capability has been dropped I don't know.
But if you look at the Hyundai Kona, then there where also a lot debate about if it was going to be approved to tow or not! Now it can tow a very small trailer. I wish I had made a bet with my local Hyundai dealer. He said it will NEVER be approved. So maybe one day!!....

:cry:
So I can't get one of these then....:LOL:

I posted on the Cycle Carrier thread here with details of a British company that quoted to supply and fit a tow bar to my ZS Ev. Unfortunately at the time they had no stock and were not sure when they would have them in. My insurance company were OK with having a towbar as long as it was only used for the cycle carrier.

It’s hard to pin down the exact regulation governing towbars but it would seem that any towbar fitted to a vehicle registered on or after 1 August 1998 must be type approved for that vehicle. Likewise, any vehicle first registered on or after that date with a tow bar fitted must be type approved for the fitment of the towbar. The ZS EV isn’t type approved to tow and there is no towbar type approved for fitment to it. Imagine what your insurance company would say if you told them you were fitting a towbar, and nowadays you have to tell them.
I did ask my insurance company and they did reply saying they had no objection to a towbar being fitted on my ZSev. I specifically said that the towball would be the non-hitch type (a pin through the ball) as I would not be towing but using it with a cycle carrier. The problem is even though I got a quote from PF Jones Ltd for supply and fitting... they have no stock and have not had any since I bought the car last October.

I have purchased the Brink tow bar for the ZS EV, type approved, E11 55R0111770, 4kN D-value so should have 450-500Kg towing capacity. I am just waiting the CANBUS module and electrical components and will prepare a mounting tutorial with pictures.
16243774077641075633312075347147.jpg

16243775274556497760414561961814.jpg

Last edited:
This could be good news.... Can you post a link to the CANBUS module and electrical components you have ordered too. Thanks

This could be good news.... Can you post a link to the CANBUS module and electrical components you have ordered too. Thanks
@Mychski I'm interested in a towbar for bikes only and whilst googling for a UK supplier I found the wiring kit you were asking about here if it helps. Still struggling to find the Brink towbar itself...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom