TPMS sensors on the MG5

jpvdheijn

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have started this thread since I am looking at a second set of wheels to fit winter tires on. Though the MG5 has TPMS sensors and I would like to keep the functionality so that the display will state the tire pressures. But I am not knowledgeable on the matter of how the MG5 TPMS system works. Is there a person knowledgeable on this on this forum.

My main questions are:
  • can the MG5 register different sensors?
  • what sensors does the MG5 require?
  • do I need to program any sensors?

These question came to me on my previous Tesla experience where if you fit the correct sensors the car will just find them without them having to be programmed.

can the MG5 register different sensors?
No. It needs to think that they are the current ones.
what sensors does the MG5 require?
433MHz (edited - MHz, not kHz, D'Oh)
do I need to program any sensors?
Yes. They need to be cloned from the existing ones and put on the same corner - if put on the wrong one they'll show as being where the original ones were.
You can buy a set from China with a programming/cloning tool and DIY, or most decent tyre shops can do it (or have a visiting bod that does), or your local MG dealer can.

Last edited:
No. It needs to think that they are the current ones.

433MHz (edited - MHz, not kHz, D'Oh)

Yes. They need to be cloned from the existing ones and put on the same corner - if put on the wrong one they'll show as being where the original ones were.
You can buy a set from China with a programming/cloning tool and DIY, or most decent tyre shops can do it (or have a visiting bod that does), or your local MG dealer can.
Very helpful your reply, that answers all my questions.

One more question that popped up,
so what happens when you rotate tyres from front to back? Than everything goes bonkers and it should be corrected by MG or a I dependant shop?

I had my wheels switched at the 15k service to even up the tyre wear, didn't really notice anything wrong with the TPMS but it is probably back to front.

The garage should reprogramme the sensors, but in reality probably don't. Just don't be too surprised when a puncture indicated at the front turns out to be at the rear.

I have informed at the MG dealership this week on a set of Winter wheels and what needs to happen to get the TPMS sensors working. They state every change I need to come in to reprogram the sensors. I am not willing to do that so I am going to ask my local tire shop to get me a set of cloned TPMS sensors.

The hire car I'm driving (a Peugeot of some sort) has an option to reset the sensors after a low pressure warning. Not sure if that's what is missing on the MG5.

The hire car I'm driving (a Peugeot of some sort) has an option to reset the sensors after a low pressure warning. Not sure if that's what is missing on the MG5.
No that is also on the MG but programming different sensors is a different thing than just reset a warning. So like already stated by @BugEyed get the new sensors cloned in order for them to work without programming the car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom