Trophy LR first service

IanMK

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I've just got my car back after its first service. I've no real idea what was done to it but the time between alarms appearing on iSmart and receiving a phone call to say it was ready for collection was just 63 minutes. In this time they performed the service, a 'free Electronic Vehicle Health Check' and whatever recall SCUK001 entails. I have been given two completed check lists. One appears to be specifically for the MG4 and includes 35 'ticks', each confirming compliance with a check. One of these checks is to connect with a charge point to confirm the charging system is fully functional, another is to carry-out a road test. I also received a Vehicle Health Check Report with all checks showing as 'Green', which included items such as AdBlue warning light, alternator belt, engine oil level, spark plugs, exhaust system, etc, etc.

I had left my car with a list of the usual bugs (and some unusual), which I hoped would ensure that appropriate modules were updated. I was told that I would need to rebook specifically for diagnosis of these. Although disappointed, I was not surprised and I suggested that this was reasonable as some may be fixed by the SCUK001 update (?).

On collection, I tried to enquire precisely what had been done. The service receptionist tried to make out he knew what he was talking about (e.g. latest Infotainment R46 installed) but it was clear that he didn't know. My infotainment is now R33 (from 24) and the service receptionist told ne that this fixes all the bugs I had experienced. This includes the 'forgetful bluetooth' bug. Is Bluetooth in the Infotainment or Telecomms module? It's really poor that we do not receive a detailed written statement of what work has been done and what the effects are. Surely the technicians will know by now.

Although the centre display seemed to be no different, I DID stumble across a new 'tab' behind the AC controls. Was this there before and I hadn't seen it or was it new in R33?
Can anyone please advise what SCUK001 aims to achieve? What modules does it affect?

Attachments

• IMG_4519.JPG
    IMG_4519.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 57
See the Post by Bishibashi below. Your 'new' tab can be accessed by swiping down the top left corner of the Home page.
Just got my mg4 trophy back (MY22) It went in with the following issues:

1. Infotainment was crashing and stuck in side swipe loop
2. Android auto crashing
3. LKA - dangerously aggressive and unpredictable when auto adjusting steering
4. Phone BT - iPhone not keeping connection
5. Auto lights - too sensitive to Shadows during daytime
6. Turning error message - speed too fast error message every time I indicated and turned a corner

The dealership updated a tonne of different softwares on the vehicle (I've asked for an email breakdown of everything). The infotainment has been upgraded from R30 to R40.

Observations on my way home:

1. The air con menu has a new look which I prefer
2. The LKA is significantly less dangerous and more of an alert rather than trying to kill me by forcing me off the road
3. Turning error message has gone completely
4. Infotainment feels a bit more responsive
5. The lights weren't switching automatically on and off as I drove through shadowy areas of road and forest.

It's early days so I'll report back in a week on iPhone BT connection stability, general infotainment stability and the auto lights switching in the daytime.

The temperature reading in the top right hand corner is also still there.

It's looking promising, fingers crossed everything has changed for the better🤞

Here's the details from the dealership themselves

1 - The FICM (Front Infotainment Control Module) has been updated to R40 software – this should resolve the screen scrolling from side to side, DAB volume and Android Auto issues you have been experiencing.

2 - The RC008 MG4 Locking Functionality Update has been performed as necessary.

3 – The SCUK001 Service Action has been carried out to update the BCM, EVCC and FDR systems – this will update the Lane Keep Assist function and since performing the update the “Speed too High – AVM too close” message has not appeared for us. The Lane Keep assist function is now at the latest software update – as I mentioned, we have had some customers comment it still can be a little fierce however unless MG release a new update we are unable to adjust its sensitivity and further

See the Post by Bishibashi below. Your 'new' tab can be accessed by swiping down the top left corner of the Home page.
So I should expect an LKA improvement and to not see the 'Speed too High – AVM too close' message.
I've been given R33, though, not R40, so I'll have to monitor the light sensitivity and BT connection. A/C controls have not changed.
It looks as though @Bishibashi has a responsive and helpful dealer.

I have no more knowledge than that provided by Bishibashi. My Trophy's first service is next week so I may know more then.
Bishibashi received R40 over 6 months ago and there have been other releases since then. Are MG endorsing upgrading only to R33 at present or is my local dealer behind the times? It'll be interesting to see what you get.

I'm slightly disappointed with my first service too. It seems they did the visual check but nothing else. I suspect it was a rush job as it was done late afternoon before closing despite it being dropped off at 8:20 am.
I've got to ring them to book it in for the passenger door handle replacement so I'll ask what updates they did if any as I'm still on R23. At the moment I'm giving them the benefit of doubt as MG's servers might have been down.

@Ian Key I find this lack of a consistent software manifest and the lack of visibility of firmware modules quite disturbing.
Also, lack of MG support to dealers aside, the dealers have had well over a year now to get their collective heads around EV support being a different beast to traditional ICE support they and should be able to project a better face to their customers.

Bishibashi received R40 over 6 months ago and there have been other releases since then. Are MG endorsing upgrading only to R33 at present or is my local dealer behind the times? It'll be interesting to see what you get.
I’m due first service on Trophy LR this month. On R33 with its usual bugs (Bluetooth, no pre heat when charging etc). My dealer is Wilson’s Epsom. Does anyone have good experience of any dealer in Surrey area who actually applies latest updates?

Just make sure when booking your car in that you mention (in writing - I used the booking form on my dealer's website) the issues you're currently facing. That should give the dealer the evidence they need to make the updates warranty work so that they get paid for it. (Which is ultimately what matters for them).

Just make sure when booking your car in that you mention (in writing - I used the booking form on my dealer's website) the issues you're currently facing. That should give the dealer the evidence they need to make the updates warranty work so that they get paid for it. (Which is ultimately what matters for them).
Good advice.
My dealer's online booking form had no option for adding freeform comments, unfortunately, and I couldn't find an email address for them. The local phone number turned out to be a call centre somewhere. I'm going to have to find the time to book mine in again for 'diagnosis' of my list of faults, some of which only happen occasionally and don't seam to be repeatable on demand.

Whilst I was returning our new x-power to the dealer today, I asked about infotainment upgrades as I was in the car with a technician for 30 minutes demonstrating the vibrations issue. He said these are done using a USB stick through the engineering menu and it takes about 5 minutes to complete so he said there is little excuse for this not to be updated when requested by a customer.

He said updating other control systems and modules in the car though was a completely different story though as these are done via the OBD port and can take 4+ hours to complete so these are only completed if there is safety campaign issued by MG or a specific issue which constitutes a warranty issue.

He said updating other control systems and modules in the car though was a completely different story though as these are done via the OBD port and can take 4+ hours to complete so these are only completed if there is safety campaign issued by MG or a specific issue which constitutes a warranty issue.
Why does it take 4+hours? Is is congestion at MG's servers? Is it an unreliable process? We don't have to put up with such long updates with Microsoft, Apple, et al.

Why does it take 4+hours? Is is congestion at MG's servers? Is it an unreliable process? We don't have to put up with such long updates with Microsoft, Apple, et al.
As I understand it, communication protocols through OBD ports are very slow so large data software updates are tediously slow. I have found this in the past myself when updating various modules on older BMWs. We tend to be spoiled with the speed of data transfer on modern day devices!

Did a rough n ready calculation and USB data can be transferred 20,000 times faster than OBD2 data (480mbps vs 24kbps). So it's super fast fibre broadband vs dial-up for want of a better analogy.

Last edited:
@jamherber IIRC, OBD2 is more like 500kbps. Maybe the firmware payload is much bigger than I imagined. Crikey - it would be cheaper in technician time to replace the modules :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the correction - so only around 100 times slower but still significant. I bet there are a number of failures built into his time estimates but I guess they can get on with other jobs whilst waiting (and the coffee doesn't make its self either lol).

Maybe the firmware payload is much bigger than I imagined
Some modules may contain programmable hardware components. In that case the files can be much larger than the firmware and the programming a multi stage process.

Adding to that, we all wander off for far too long while waiting for updates to complete. Mine reputedly took all day for 9 updates. 😲

I told my dealer I wanted (SE) R33 because I understand it fixes a whole heap of issues I reported to them last year, and then repeated that list. I told them I absolutely can't wait to get a USB player that will actually work (plus the light sensor and the rest of it), so here's hoping that does it.

I couldn't complain about the temperature display because I'm still on R13 which has that.

But this is a derail, back to the Trophy, guys.

Good advice.
My dealer's online booking form had no option for adding freeform comments, unfortunately, and I couldn't find an email address for them. The local phone number turned out to be a call centre somewhere. I'm going to have to find the time to book mine in again for 'diagnosis' of my list of faults, some of which only happen occasionally and don't seam to be repeatable on demand.
My approach is to print out a sheet of A4 covering all the issues and the problems they cause.

Then I take this sheet with me and ask to speak to the technician that will be working on the car.

I talk them through each item and make sure they take the copy with them.

Then when collecting I go through it all with the service agent to check what was done.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back