STJ73

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
My Trophy LR ( new as of October 23 ) never get to 100% when charging. I can't charge at home so I only use public charging and either fast charging or slow charging it never reaches 100% only 97% every time? Anyone else have this little bug? My charging settings are set to 100% but it always stops @97%. It's not like I need the extra 3% but It just bugs me a little haha 🤣

I wonder if your car falls into this camp? (Ignore the Zappi bit):

I charge at work most of the time and it always stops @97% and when I use any other public charger again it's always 97% no matter what 'network' I use. Even rapid charging stops @97% it must be some sort of bug 🐛. I re set everything and it still does the same. I don't charge much slowly as I will only have the car 3 years so the battery health doesn't bother me. I just find it strange.

Unlike you, I can't charge at home and have to use public chargers all the time.

Mine will go to 100%
97% on a Tesla charger, then onto a local 6kw car park charger to balance.

I now do this balance to 100% once a month.

Nice pub lunch whilst I wait.

Took about an hour and a half last time.

GOM said 100% and 250 miles of range when completed.
(Taken with a pinch of salt. OBVS)

Unlike you, I can't charge at home and have to use public chargers all the time.

Mine will go to 100%
97% on a Tesla charger, then onto a local 6kw car park charger to balance.

I now do this balance to 100% once a month.

Nice pub lunch whilst I wait.

Took about an hour and a half last time.

GOM said 100% and 250 miles of range when completed.
(Taken with a pinch of salt. OBVS)
Even at 7kw granny it never gets to 100% always 97% and as of today the range was 249 miles with the heater on and 259 with it off . I'm still more than happy with the range when it's cold and can't wait for the summer months as I can see it easy get 300 miles! I'm sure it's a bug somewhere as I set it to 100% in the app but always stops at 97!

Even at 7kw granny it never gets to 100% always 97% and as of today the range was 249 miles with the heater on and 259 with it off . I'm still more than happy with the range when it's cold and can't wait for the summer months as I can see it easy get 300 miles! I'm sure it's a bug somewhere as I set it to 100% in the app but always stops at 97!
Reset all your trip meters and try again?
OK ignore that, I see you have reset the gom up above.

That thread is the issue where AC charging stops early, not DC, and well short of nearly 100%.

This sounds to me like a balance issue: the battery needs a good balance or is somehow out of calibration. Maybe via a granny charger would be best - limiting to 6A or 2kW?

My Trophy LR ( new as of October 23 ) never get to 100% when charging. I can't charge at home so I only use public charging and either fast charging or slow charging it never reaches 100% only 97% every time? Anyone else have this little bug? My charging settings are set to 100% but it always stops @97%. It's not like I need the extra 3% but It just bugs me a little haha 🤣
A lot of public chargers will limit the max charge you can have in order to improve access. The last 5% takes a disproportionate time so it's not economic to allow. Its generally not a car issue.

Have you tried charging to 97%, going home and then putting the car on the granny charge lead to see if it'll go to 100% and balance the battery pack?
This sounds correct as the last few % takes an age.. I always charge overnight so give it a 6hour charging session and have no problem

I have an MG4 Trophy and Octopus had plunge pricing last night (22/12/2023) so I charged mine on a Zappi. Over some five hours it charged to 100%. Am I right in thinking that on public fast chargers, the last bit slows down considerably and from 80% to 100% is like 3 hours?

Ive a similar, though only sometimes, issue on our 23 plat Trophy LR We charge at home and that goes to 100% - but BPULSE only ever gets to 95% then disconnects.
Still the Yellow lights in the door mirrors have stopped locking on in rainy weather on the motorway ;-)

Reading with interest...
We mostly charge at home on the granny lead, (unless there's some rush) and have found that recently it stops at 97/ 98%, although it's set to charge to 100%. Last night, it was left plugged in for over 16 hours and still did not reach 100%. Also, we haven't set up the app, so we can remove that as a potential factor.

fwiw... '23 Trophy LR
Now fully charged (kind of), it is estimating its total range will be 200mi. Not sure why we've lost 50 miles of range, she's only 6 months old. (trying not to care too much, as I know... I know... it's just an estimate. have I been lead-footed recently? I will neither confirm nor deny).

Charging rate on the granny seems to be somewhere around 20% per 5 hours in nice weather, and the worse it gets outside, the longer it takes.
I'm getting worried by this seasonal deterioration... if we needed to travel more than 100 miles in a week, we'd have to re-think our strategy. In all the changes I expected going from petrol to EV, I had not anticipated how detailed of a "strategy" we would require just to operate the car on a weekly basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my granny charging I use 10% every 3 hours - the app indicates a charge rate of just under 2 KW. You did not state a starting point for your 16 hour charge so it may be you need to leave it longer in order for it to balance properly.

Did the app tell you it had finished charging or did you enter the car and check from the info screen?

fwiw... '23 Trophy LR
Now fully charged (kind of), it is estimating its total range will be 200mi. Not sure why we've lost 50 miles of range, she's only 6 months old. (trying not to care too much, as I know... I know... it's just an estimate. have I been lead-footed recently? I will neither confirm nor deny).
Winter range is typically 30% less, that is completely normal for all EVs... it will recover next spring/summer.
I'm getting worried by this seasonal deterioration... if we needed to travel more than 100 miles in a week, we'd have to re-think our strategy. In all the changes I expected going from petrol to EV, I had not anticipated how detailed of a "strategy" we would require just to operate the car on a weekly basis.
It all depends how/where you charge and how many miles you do. For me, I no longer have to think about visiting somewhere to charge, the car is already full up for 99% of journeys.

Yes, still requires more planning than with ICE cars but this is slowly changing.

Your 10% per 3h is probably a better overall estimate - 20% for 5h was in this summer.

I can't be certain where it started, as I wasn't the one who set it up yesterday...but it "should" have started at at least 25%.
We've sat in the car before and watched the charging rate oscillate from 0.0 to 1.6 kwh and back, just wondering what it's up to and why it won't pass 98%. Tried changing the mains plug, changing the cord, still feel no wiser.

I also estimate 10% per three hours, but in practice it's a little better than that. My SR always goes to 100% then spends about half an hour balance charging at about 20 watts.

I did know about the winter range loss when I bought it. I usually see around 200 miles on the GOM in summer, 220 on a good day, but right now I'm seeing around 150 miles. It will in practice do a hundred-mile round trip without recharging, which was my red line when I bought it.

Because you are only seeing one decimal place you can't see that the 0.0KW is actually around 0.04 or less as it oscillates when it balances. You should leave the car to decide when it has finished charging. IMO the app is best for finding that out.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back