Tutorial for updating maps on ZS EV Gen 2 (avoiding mgmotor.eu)

I used NTFS and a PC. (But i think FAT32 might actually work, my car recognised the USB stick with both formats).

I guess if all of the people that had problems formatted and copied it on a mac, then that might be the problem.

Maybe there is a market, selling 32 Gbyte windows NTFS formatted Thumbdrives, with the files copied onto them. :)
My car didn't recognise the existence of the files on the stick when I used FAT32.. have just done it as NTFS so will see how it goes.

I got an MD5 failure... I can only assume that we got that because the map we downloaded is not for the UK version of the car... the fact that hmadsen can see a UK address is a moot point. its failing the checksum (MD5) because it isn't meant for UK cars. Thats my interpretation anyway. I am not noticing any missing roads so I am not going to spend any more time in trying to get it to work lol, I'll get my dealer to update mine when it goes in for its first servic e :)

Mac users, try formatting your USB to exFAT, it is the follow on from FAT32 so multi platform but supports the larger files.
I now keep all my external drives formatted to exFAT as it means it works in both Mac and PC.

I got an MD5 failure... I can only assume that we got that because the map we downloaded is not for the UK version of the car... the fact that hmadsen can see a UK address is a moot point. its failing the checksum (MD5) because it isn't meant for UK cars. Thats my interpretation anyway. I am not noticing any missing roads so I am not going to spend any more time in trying to get it to work lol, I'll get my dealer to update mine when it goes in for its first servic e :)
an MD5 checksum failure can also indicate that at some point the download has dropped some of the information, so effectively the file is 'incomplete' it happens quite alot with large downloads, so I am not surprised people are seeing it with a 14gb download. Unfortunately the only rectification is to try again and hope for the best!

MD5 hash is just to check if the files were downloaded correctly and without problems.

MD5 hash failure would more point in the direction of the car failing the checksum checks for one or more files.

My first thought would be....Is the thumbdrive used, really a 32 Gbyte drive.

There are a LOT of fake drives in the wild...It will report as 32 Gbyte, but in reality there is only 4 Gbyte of real storage for example. When loading more than 4 Gbyte it will either not store the data, but show the files being there in the file structure, or it will overwrite previous files.

FIrst thing i would do, would be to retry, using a different thumbdrive.

I would think it very unlikely that they would do any "Is this map for this region" check using the MD5 file hash function.

MD5 hash is just to check if the files were downloaded correctly and without problems.

MD5 hash failure would more point in the direction of the car failing the checksum checks for one or more files.

My first thought would be....Is the thumbdrive used, really a 32 Gbyte drive.

There are a LOT of fake drives in the wild...It will report as 32 Gbyte, but in reality there is only 4 Gbyte of real storage for example. When loading more than 4 Gbyte it will either not store the data, but show the files being there in the file structure, or it will overwrite previous files.

FIrst thing i would do, would be to retry, using a different thumbdrive.

I would think it very unlikely that they would do any "Is this map for this region" check using the MD5 file hash function.
This is a good point. I know the USB drive is good, it is a 64GB known good drive from my collection of sticks and if you try to load a 14GB file onto a 4GB stick it will throw an error in your face and just not complete the operation, it won't recursively overwrite the data until it finishes. If I could stomach waiting for the download again then I would give that a go but it's not that crucial to me right now.

I’ve just successfully updated on my UK car (I assume the VIN number check tells you if the update is available for you or not?). Having failed the MD5 hash check on a fat32 drive with the extraction done on my Mac, I used a 64GB Sandisk drive NTFS formatted drive with the extraction done on a Windows laptop.

This is where I am with my fat32 formatted USB drive.
image.jpg

I got a MD5 error using a FAT32 drive formatted on a Mac. I've dug out an old Windows laptop and am trying the whole process again. The whole download/unarchive/copy process is so slowwwww on this old windows machine it'll probably be tomorrow before I can try again.

Mac users, try formatting your USB to exFAT, it is the follow on from FAT32 so multi platform but supports the larger files.
I now keep all my external drives formatted to exFAT as it means it works in both Mac and PC.
I formatted mine as an NTFS drive this time, still exactly the same issue so likely as not the Mac writes something into the drive that the car doesn't like.

I downloaded the map to my Sandisk drive 64gb formatted to NTFS but when I inserted the USB drive, the select resource is grayed out? Can anyone enlighten me pls. Thanks
AC563691-392F-4CFD-8056-4C83636AD807.jpeg

[UTENTE=6059]@hmadsen[/UTENTE]
Puoi ottenere un checksum del tuo file scaricato, ci darebbe qualcosa con cui confrontare?
Il mio checksum 22Q1 maps.rar md5 scaricato è 7AD772E70A42B4CBCC0D5EAAF1A68B07

.... result of the checksum of the downloaded file: 7ad772e70a42b4cbcc0d5eaaf1a68b07
at this point, after several unsuccessful attempts, I think it may be a more updated firmware problem on the cars in which they managed to install the maps, I sent an email to MG Motors Eu for instructions, but to date no answer

Wait!

Seriously, if you get that wait up to around 5 minutes before you can take the next step.

Well, after no success with preparing a USB stick with maps on my Mac I used the same USB stick and formatted it on a Windows PC. With the same downloaded map file extracted onto it, this time it worked fine.

So there's something the car doesn't like about Apple computers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom