Two drivers using the app on two phones

Nicjef

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My wife and I will be sharing the MG4 and will want to install the app on both of our phones. I'm sure others have this sorted and would ask if they can explain the process for setting up account, binding, and then connecting a second phone. Is it just the same account details to enter?

The manual talks about users (plural) and somewhere I saw that only the primary phone can now unlock the car so assume this is quite normal.

We have a similar situation here and as whenever we have tried logging into the app on a second device the first one is immediately logged out so if you figure out how to have two active at one time - let me know!

Read this first to see if any of it helps. Download app. Register on the app using an email address (recommended) as the user ID. Once the account is set up you can "bind" the car to your account. Once active you can use the user id and password across other devices/people but only one can be active at any one time.

Last edited:
It seems that there are issues with binding cars to accounts at the moment. In my opinion the issue is at the MG servers end, not the app or anything the users are doing.

Read this first to see if any of it helps. Download app. Register on the app using an email address (recommended) as the user ID. Once the account is set up you can "bind" the car to your account. Once active you can use the user id and password across other devices/people but only one can be active at any one time.

Thanks Alan.

I did look before but couldn't find the specific bit about multiple phones.

Nic

It is confusing. Basically car vin (qr code) on one side of server, user account on the otherside. The "bind" links the two together hence it can only ever be one account linked to the car albeit it can be accessed from different devices but serially accessed not in parallel.

It is confusing. Basically car vin (qr code) on one side of server, user account on the otherside. The "bind" links the two together hence it can only ever be one account linked to the car albeit it can be accessed from different devices but serially accessed not in parallel.
That makes sense the displayed QR code associates the physical car with the pre-set up account on the server by the first device. The loading / logging into the same account via the app on the second device then takes over control until the first one's app is loaded/logged into.

And it should not be "bound" to a device but to the account allowing new devices (replacement phones etc.) to be used in the future

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back