Two parking brakes?

RN88R

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I don’t understand why there are two parking brakes?
What are the differences between the driver control knob P (R-N-D) and the single knob P on the center console.

The single switch is just the handbrake where as the P on the gear selector locks the transmission which prevents power going to the wheels. I only use the P gear when I'm fully parked up and about to get out of the car - think of it like turning the engine off in an ICE car before you leave the car.

Last edited:
The single switch is just the handbrake where as the P on the gear selector locks the transmission which prevents power going to the wheels. I only use the P gear when I'm fully parked up and about to get out of the car - think of it like turning the engine off before you leave the car.
Glad this question was asked and answered - thank you because I was wondering.....

The single switch is just the handbrake where as the P on the gear selector locks the transmission which prevents power going to the wheels. I only use the P gear when I'm fully parked up and about to get out of the car - think of it like turning the engine off before you leave the car.
Motor!

The single switch is just the handbrake where as the P on the gear selector locks the transmission which prevents power going to the wheels. I only use the P gear when I'm fully parked up and about to get out of the car - think of it like turning the engine off in an ICE car before you leave the car.
How exactly does P on the gear selector lock the transmission or do you mean it just isolates the motor ?
And does that mean if I use the small square P button and put the car in D, I can still drive with the parking brake on because power is still going to the motor ?

How exactly does P on the gear selector lock the transmission or do you mean it just isolates the motor ?
And does that mean if I use the small square P button and put the car in D, I can still drive with the parking brake on because power is still going to the motor ?
If you use the P switch to apply the hand brake instead of selecting P on the gear selector the car remains in drive, and if you press the accelerator pedal the hand brake disengages, and you can drive off immediately.

There's a third option which is auto hold. You have to turn it on in the driving settings under safety, but once switched on, the setting is remembered. To use auto hold, bring the car to a stop with the brake pedal, then once stopped, press the pedal a bit harder, and you will see on the dash board, the white brake symbol turn green. You can then release the brake and the car will be held automatically. Then just press the accelerator to drive away again.

If you use the P switch to apply the hand brake instead of selecting P on the gear selector the car remains in drive, and if you press the accelerator pedal the hand brake disengages, and you can drive off immediately.
So using the p switch does what auto hold does without the brake lights but you have to apply the switch each time you stop.
That's a better option in traffic than Auto hold because it doesn't leave the brake lights on and better than selecting P on the selector because you don't have to select D again when you start moving. I like it. (y)

Not really sure what the arrangement is on the MG4 / MG5 ?.
But there is NO secondary interlocking pin on either of the ZS EV models.
The car is ONLY held stationary by both of the rear wheels, when the handbrake is applied.
There are two independent electric actuator motors mounted to the inside of each of the rear brake callipers.
When the handbrake is requested, the motor turns a central threaded shaft that then contacts the back of the inner brake pad, when that contacts the brake disc, the calliper is pulled over and then the second brake pad is clamped against the steel brake disc / rotor.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back