Type 1 to Type 2 Adaptor

PonteMG5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all

My first post. I am due to take ownership of my new MG5 LR in November, having had a Nissan Leaf back in 2017. I went back to ICE vehicles because the Leaf was a little small and the range was a little frustrating for the family. The MG5 seems to answer these problems and the cost was amazing.

My question is regarding my home charger. I have a podpoint which was installed back when I had the Leaf. It has a Type 1 tethered cable on it and I am aware the MG is a Type 2. I have found an adaptor on Amazon that effectively turns the Type 1 into Type 2 and wondered if anyone had used one of these and long term it worked well? Other option is to swap out the cable but I guess an adapter would give you an option of either.

So excited to get the car, I watched many reviews online and many seem to pull it up on its looks. I actually really like how it looks as it doesn’t look like it’s landed from outer space.

Hi all

My first post. I am due to take ownership of my new MG5 LR in November, having had a Nissan Leaf back in 2017. I went back to ICE vehicles because the Leaf was a little small and the range was a little frustrating for the family. The MG5 seems to answer these problems and the cost was amazing.

My question is regarding my home charger. I have a podpoint which was installed back when I had the Leaf. It has a Type 1 tethered cable on it and I am aware the MG is a Type 2. I have found an adaptor on Amazon that effectively turns the Type 1 into Type 2 and wondered if anyone had used one of these and long term it worked well? Other option is to swap out the cable but I guess an adapter would give you an option of either.

So excited to get the car, I watched many reviews online and many seem to pull it up on its looks. I actually really like how it looks as it doesn’t look like it’s landed from outer space.
I bought one when I switched from T1 early LEAF to T2 late LEAF. Cost £100 and sold it on eBay for £90 a year later.

I don't think you will be going back to a type 1 so maybe better to swap out the cable to your required length

Is the Pod point a 7kW or 3kW ?
If it's a 3kW then change the cable to a 32A and flip the dip switch inside to make it a 7kW.
If it's already a 7kW then adapter or replace the cable.

Yes it’s a 7kwh podpoint as at the time I paid a bit more for it when ordering the Nissan.

My charger cable length is fine at the moment as I am pretty fortunate in terms of its placement to my driveway. However, as mentioned I most likely won’t need the Type 1 so may be best to swap out the cable. Just wondered if the adaptor worked well.

wondered if anyone had used one of these and long term it worked well?
I'm quite happy with the one I have. Eventually I'll change the cord or something, but there's no urgency.

file.php

I had a same dilemma and after expensive quote for cable swap I opted for adapter.

DUOSIDA Type 1 to Type 2 EV Adapter 16 Amp 32 Amp Electric Vehicle Charger Converter Easy to Connect with J1772 EV Charging Station and IEC62196 European Standard Vehicles Amazon product ASIN B085XSB38S
I've been using it for 2 months with no issues.

I think the adaptor is definitely the cheapest and quickest way to go.

As a matter of interest, is the adapter locked into place when charging?

As a matter of interest, is the adapter locked into place when charging?
I would think the adaptor may be locked in, but is the cable locked into the adaptor ?

is the adapter locked into place when charging?
Yes.
but is the cable locked into the adaptor ?
It's standard type 1, i.e. you have to press the button to remove the plug, so it's not loose. You can put a padlock on I assume, but I can't be bothered doing that. My adapter is mainly for charging at home, although there is one public type 1 "charger" that I might conceivably use.

The reason for my question (and probably the clarification from Kithmo) was a concern about whether the connection could be broken on load?

Hi all

Same issue, when I looked into replacing the cable was told that it needed to have a new unit so bought the adaptor as here Amazon product ASIN B07RVHNCKS had it since January and no issue.

Thanks for all the advice. For speed I will probably get adaptor but look to replace cable longer term.
It's quite easy to replace the cable although you'll need a good cable crimping kit, I've only got a 6 year old Rolec dumb charger (installed by a tw*t) which I've swopped various bits for after it failed, including changing the 5 metre charge cable for a 10 metre one.

whether the connection could be broken on load?
Good point. I don't think that you can rely on the type 1 plug's button to tell the car to safely stop drawing current, as you can with a type 1 vehicle. The proximity pilot is different between types 1 and 2.

So I'm very particular about using the key to stop the charge before disconnecting. I need to hear the ziiit sound of the type 2 socket unlocking before pressing the type 1 button to disconnect the plug. The car will have ramped the charge current down to zero before it unlocks, despite indicating that the charge is on-going on the dash.

I also have a pod point charger as I had a Mk1 Leaf and my wife still does!

I bought a connector from amazon for £78 and it does the job. As & when wife changes hers may look at converting but this will still do the trick

As another pointer as there is no app for the current MG you can set via your pod point app charging times if you are on Octopus Go Faster to take advantage of the 5.5p per kwh rate. If your not with octopus it's a faff, you have to join on standard (expensive) tariff then when smart meter connects after 2wks to Octopus Go (expensive) and only THEN can you contact them to get on the cheap Octopus Go Faster tariff (15.8p/5.5p)

Here's a referral link if not with them ;-)

share.octopus.energy/red-river-525
Screenshot_20211030-135618_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Used an adapter for the last 9 months been fine, I tend not to use it in the rain though because of the extra join but that’s probably just me

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom