Type 1 to Type 2 Adaptor

Hi all

My first post. I am due to take ownership of my new MG5 LR in November, having had a Nissan Leaf back in 2017. I went back to ICE vehicles because the Leaf was a little small and the range was a little frustrating for the family. The MG5 seems to answer these problems and the cost was amazing.

My question is regarding my home charger. I have a podpoint which was installed back when I had the Leaf. It has a Type 1 tethered cable on it and I am aware the MG is a Type 2. I have found an adaptor on Amazon that effectively turns the Type 1 into Type 2 and wondered if anyone had used one of these and long term it worked well? Other option is to swap out the cable but I guess an adapter would give you an option of either.

So excited to get the car, I watched many reviews online and many seem to pull it up on its looks. I actually really like how it looks as it doesn’t look like it’s landed from outer space.
Yes you can use the adapter from Amazon. I sold my MG ZS and replaced it with an Outlander PHEV which is type 1

If your not with octopus it's a faff, you have to join on standard (expensive) tariff then when smart meter connects after 2wks to Octopus Go (expensive) and only THEN can you contact them to get on the cheap Octopus Go Faster tariff (15.8p/5.5p)
In the cheaper period, it depends which tariff you have.

Go is 5p a unit, for 4 hours.
Go Faster is 4.5p for 3 hours, 5p for 4 hours or 5.5p for 5 hours.

Outside these times the rate is the same, as is the standing charge.

So Go isn't more expensive.

If you aren't with Octopus and you join using a referral code like this share.octopus.energy/open-camel-464 then you will earn £50 for yourself, which will offset the initial higher costs with Octopus while you go through the process of getting a smart meter and the Go tariff to suit you. In the interests of transparency, I would also get £50 credit if you sign up.

The blinder on Octopus which has unfortunately gone sour is the Agile tariff, which has charges which vary each half hour. There were nighttime hours when your electricity cost you very little,or nothing, and once in a while the cost per unit went negative, which means they actually paid you to take power out of the grid. That has gone sour at the moment due to the constraints on electricity availability which are causing the rising costs, such that it is a very expensive tariff. But as an Octopus customer you could buy a cheap OHME cable which tied in the the Agile tariff and turned charging off and on according to the cheapest time ( and other parameters you could set).

Here, public/home chargers have type1 and CCS1 connectors, I’ve been using these adapters and no issues at all, 13 months of ownership.

1635615095600.jpeg
1635615161109.jpeg

Last edited:
I also have the adapter and it works well and gives me the option to charge at my friends house when we visit him

Here, public/home chargers have type1 and CCS1 connectors, I’ve been using these adapters and no issues at all, 13 months of ownership.

View attachment 5460View attachment 5461
I'm curious about the CCS adapter as most of them are only rated to 150 amps, but at 70kw charging rate, that's more in the 200 amp territory... what's the fasted rapid DC charge you've managed and did the adapter get warm, did it limit the charge? (Assuming you've used it on a charger capable of over 50kw, ideally 100kw).

I'm curious about the CCS adapter as most of them are only rated to 150 amps, but at 70kw charging rate, that's more in the 200 amp territory... what's the fasted rapid DC charge you've managed and did the adapter get warm, did it limit the charge? (Assuming you've used it on a charger capable of over 50kw, ideally 100kw).
Yes, the adapter is rated max. 150 amps and it doesn’t get warm.

We use 50 kW chargers (1 vehicle) and 120 kW chargers (2 vehicles simultaneously) so you get 60 kW, in both cases the adapter works below 150 amps.

Yes, the adapter is rated max. 150 amps and it doesn’t get warm.

We use 50 kW chargers (1 vehicle) and 120 kW chargers (2 vehicles simultaneously) so you get 60 kW, in both cases the adapter works below 150 amps.
Ok really good to know there are no issues on the 50kw units!

I'm thinking of taking my MG5 to the USA and doing a road trip when I've paid off the finance in a few years. :)

Just a question though, as I'm not sure I entirely understood your wording... the 120kw units... the way you phrased it suggests they cannot deliver more than 60kw per vehicle?

Is that correct or are you saying that the unit is capable of delivering 120 kw to a single vehicle, however the adapter limits the power draw to 50kw?

Yes it’s a 7kwh podpoint as at the time I paid a bit more for it when ordering the Nissan.

My charger cable length is fine at the moment as I am pretty fortunate in terms of its placement to my driveway. However, as mentioned I most likely won’t need the Type 1 so may be best to swap out the cable. Just wondered if the adaptor worked well.
I have this one
K.H.O.N.S. EV Adapter 16 Amp 32... Amazon product ASIN B07RVHNCKSIt works really well with my home charger 😊

Ok really good to know there are no issues on the 50kw units!

I'm thinking of taking my MG5 to the USA and doing a road trip when I've paid off the finance in a few years. :)

Just a question though, as I'm not sure I entirely understood your wording... the 120kw units... the way you phrased it suggests they cannot deliver more than 60kw per vehicle?

Is that correct or are you saying that the unit is capable of delivering 120 kw to a single vehicle, however the adapter limits the power draw to 50kw?
The unit is capable of delivering 120 kW but it splits the power for charging 2 vehicles at the same time, so each vehicle gets max. 60 kW, it’s set up that way. The adapter doesn’t limit the power. If there is just 1 vehicle charging, it will get max. 60 kW.

There is another adapter that is rated max. 200 amps, but it is more expensive, this adapter would work better in USA.

Edit: an adapter like this one:

1635694983808.jpeg

Last edited:
The unit is capable of delivering 120 kW but it splits the power for charging 2 vehicles at the same time, so each vehicle gets max. 60 kW, it’s set up that way. The adapter doesn’t limit the power. If there is just 1 vehicle charging, it will get max. 60 kW.

There is another adapter that is rated max. 200 amps, but it is more expensive, this adapter would work better in USA.

Edit: an adapter like this one:

View attachment 5464
I believe that one is in the reverse direction, unfortunately. I've seen it before and keep being disappointed!

I reckon you'd find it cheaper to buy or rent a used EV over there than ship your own there and back. Plus it'd be left hand drive etc. Or just get an ICE car.
shhhh realistically, the logical solution is to rent a Tesla due to their US charging network... however, if you look at round trip shipping costs and compare to renting a budget ICE vehicle for 2+ weeks, the costs are somewhat similar... to rent a car with the storage of the MG5, you actually start looking at a considerable savings.

Now.... the other point is basically to drive an unusual car there that no one has ever seen and that no one is able to buy. Getting a local car will completely defeat that point. This is at least half the fun and I'm not interested in arguments about the steering wheel being on the wrong side, because people here in the UK drive to Europe and the reverse is true as well. I have driven a UK car in France and I'm undeterred.

Hi all

My first post. I am due to take ownership of my new MG5 LR in November, having had a Nissan Leaf back in 2017. I went back to ICE vehicles because the Leaf was a little small and the range was a little frustrating for the family. The MG5 seems to answer these problems and the cost was amazing.

My question is regarding my home charger. I have a podpoint which was installed back when I had the Leaf. It has a Type 1 tethered cable on it and I am aware the MG is a Type 2. I have found an adaptor on Amazon that effectively turns the Type 1 into Type 2 and wondered if anyone had used one of these and long term it worked well? Other option is to swap out the cable but I guess an adapter would give you an option of either.

So excited to get the car, I watched many reviews online and many seem to pull it up on its looks. I actually really like how it looks as it doesn’t look like it’s landed from outer space.
Hi like you have a pod point charger and i used the adaptor for charging my MK2 leaf without any issues.But i have just got my MG5 and the adaptor doesn't work!!! so using gridserve or granny cable at the moment.Looking to replace the cable not a big job from EV cables.
Not got off to a great start with this car not as user friendly as the leaf is.

Yes you can use the adapter from Amazon. I sold my MG ZS and replaced it with an Outlander PHEV which is type 1
Hi i have just realised that MG only provide a granny charger and not a type 2 to type 2 cable so if you need to charge on a 7Kw you're likely to need a cable..more expense!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also been using this adapter for the last 2.5 years and that’s all you need it also gives you the option of charging type 1 or 2 cars

Hey everyone,

I just got my MG5 trophy. I can only see the plug charger. I am not familiar with how to charge the car yet but will appreciate some guidance.
Shouldn’t I have another charger included in the car to charge in public area?

If not what to get and which one is the best on the market. If there are other posts addressing these issues pls share with me.

Thank you all in advance.
Pami

Hi Pami
You need type 2 to type 2 cable to charge from a public charger.
Rapid chargers have cable and connector supplied.
You also need to download their App like Pod Point. Common In Tesco and Lidl’s

Also some public AC "chargers" are tethered, that is, they have a cord, so you don't need your own cable. Whether they are typically tethered or not seems to depend on the region. I would get a type 2 to type 2 cord for peace of mind, but it's a personal choice.

Hi Pami
You need type 2 to type 2 cable to charge from a public charger.
Rapid chargers have cable and connector supplied.
You also need to download their App like Pod Point. Common In Tesco and Lidl’s

Thank you Esi.

Also some public AC "chargers" are tethered, that is, they have a cord, so you don't need your own cable. Whether they are typically tethered or not seems to depend on the region. I would get a type 2 to type 2 cord for peace of mind, but it's a personal choice.
Thank you Coulomb, I saw this one on Amazon, is it any good? A lot of choices there so want to make sure I am taking the right one.

Type 2 to Type 2 (7.2Kw) | 32A | Mode 3 | 1 Phase | 5 Meter | FREE Carry Bag | EV/Electric Vehicle Car charging cable & Plug-in Hybrid Charging Cable Model 3 https://amzn.eu/d/gD60VkS

Many thanks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom