Type 2 cable recommendation

Loveclose

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Please could I have a Type 2 cable recommendation? As a newbie to the EV world, I need a cable for charging on the road. Fast charger compatible....

A recommendation reassures that I'm buying the correct cable for purpose!!

(For MG4 Long Range Trophy).

Hi, do you know if you have 3 phase charging on your car?
Have a look at the type2 socket on the car to see if the L2 and L3 pins are populated.
The cable should be 32A single phase for most 7kW EVSE charge points or 32A 3 phase for a 22kW EVSE charge point.

Please could I have a Type 2 cable recommendation? As a newbie to the EV world, I need a cable for charging on the road. Fast charger compatible....

A recommendation reassures that I'm buying the correct cable for purpose!!

(For MG4 Long Range Trophy).
If your Trophy has a rear wiper then it's only has a 7kW AC charger so any Type 2 charging cable will suffice. If it's one of the early ones without a rear wiper then it should have a 22kW AC charger fitted so it can take advantage of a 22kW 3 phase charger.

99% of chargers you find out on the road are DC and have the cable attached.

Have a look at EVwired who are a British company so you can be assured they meet the required standards. Just select the length you want and the charge speed.

This is very helpful.....and I need to add more detail here!!
I have had an Ohme Home Pro charger installed at my house. It's a 7KW charger, and just as well as my MG4 has a rear wiper!
My dealer was the one who advised me to order a cable for being out on the road for use with chargers with no cable. As my Tesco store has chargers without any cables, I figured it was good advice.

Are we saying here that a cable for such purposes is almost surplus to requirement?

Thank you again, and apologies if my post was misleading!

You will need it for destination 7kW EVSE charge points. Rapid chargers will have a tethered CCS DC cable.

I have had an Ohme Home Pro charger installed at my house. It's a 7KW charger, and just as well as my MG4 has a rear wiper!
My dealer was the one who advised me to order a cable for being out on the road for use with chargers with no cable. As my Tesco store has chargers without any cables, I figured it was good advice.

Are we saying here that a cable for such purposes is almost surplus to requirement?

I bought one a year ago thinking I would need it but have never used it. I have home charging and seek out DC chargers when away, plus have the granny charger if staying somewhere nowhere near chargers. That's always been more than enough so far.

Yes.

As you have a home charger I guess most of your charging will be done at home and on the odd occasion you need to charge away from home you wont want to wait for hours to charge your car up. You'll seek out a charger that can charge from 20% to 80% in 30 minutes. These chargers will have their own cable.

If your Trophy has a rear wiper then it's only has a 7kW AC charger so any Type 2 charging cable will suffice. If it's one of the early ones without a rear wiper then it should have a 11kW AC charger fitted so it can take advantage of a 22kW (or 11kW) 3 phase charger.

99% of chargers you find out on the road are DC and have the cable attached.

Have a look at EVwired who are a British company so you can be assured they meet the required standards. Just select the length you want and the charge speed.
Typo fixed for you. :)

It's not a bad thing to carry around. If there are destination chargers where you're parked and you want to pick up a bit of range you'll need one. More and more hotels are installing these, sometimes free for guests.

I had a generic battered cable I wangled with the car from the dealer. It got a smidge warm one day so bought a coiled one from Amazon seems ok.

As for brand (whatever you go with) I have another thread where I’ve got a monster cable from ezoomed.com. They pass the order over to wottz cables same brand as halfords sell for a lot more - delivery was amazingly quick, plugs and covers are good quality and with the monster length I bought it seems to work. Made in uk and not a no name thing.

I've read the suggestions above that you won't need a type 2 cable, but think that it depends on what your situation is. I stay in Scotland several times a year and when I'm there I have no home charging and nor can I use my granny charger from a first floor flat the other side of the road from where I park. I use rapid DC chargers on the journey to Scotland but then use destination chargers once I'm there as they are much cheaper than DC ones. I'm lucky that there are roadside chargers about 200 yards away so that's convenient, but I also tend to 'graze' on destination chargers when out and about and busy doing something else. I realise my situation may not be typical, but I'd hesitate to say that you won't need one before knowing what you might want to be doing. As @Rolfe mentions, more hotels and more holiday cottages etc. have chargers where you might need a cable.

It's a bit like 'which tariff is best for me?' - everyone is different and has different patterns of usage and there is no one solution fits all. Each person has to work out how they are going to use the car and then work out for themselves what the best solution is.

I purchased a 7 Kw - 32 Amp type 2 cable for public charging, just after we bought our first ZS EV BEV back in 2019.
It has only been used a couple of times and lives coiled around the space saver wheel in the boot.
I guess they both serve similar needs really ?.
You hope never to have an occasion were they are needed, but when you DO they are worth every single penny that you paid for them IMO.
E.G. - You are on a well planed journey, but on route you hit a diversion that takes you miles away from your final destination.
Now you are running low( ish ) on range and locate a 7 kw charger close by.
When you arrive there are units available, but they all require the use of a cable !.
NOW - Don’t you wish you had bought one.
Covering as many bases as possible is never a bad idea with an EV.
Oh …….. Add a 12 volt battery booster pack to your shopping 🛒 list 🤣.

I bought one a year ago thinking I would need it but have never used it. I have home charging and seek out DC chargers when away, plus have the granny charger if staying somewhere nowhere near chargers. That's always been more than enough so far.
This exactly what I have found and do too. But, I’m happy I have the extra cable in the boot just in case I am caught out, but increasingly looking like I may never use it.

I would suggest you get one, some public chargers, mostly 7kw require a type 2 charger cable. So if thats all thats available to charge at then your stuffed if you havent got one. Also and I speak from experience if you rent holiday accommodation that has an untethered charger you will need a cable. Before I got my car I invested in one from an MG dealer on ebay, but didnt need it in the end as car was supplied with one, so returned. There are a number still listed from Uk sellers from £60 new.

As others have said, it is always worth carrying a 7kw Type 2 cable in the car just in case you have to charge and the charger you have found does not have a cable.

Do you all realise you can put the type 2 cable, in its bag, under the bonnet on top of the plastic tray there, and the closed bonnet will hold it in position? It means you don't have it kicking around in the boot, you can forget all about it, but when the day comes and you need it, by magic it is there.

Do you all realise you can put the type 2 cable, in its bag, under the bonnet on top of the plastic tray there, and the closed bonnet will hold it in position? It means you don't have it kicking around in the boot, you can forget all about it, but when the day comes and you need it, by magic it is there.
Yes, I have done this myself for some time on my MG5. Very convenient location.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back