Type 2 charging cable - MG v 3rd party - warranty?

MartinSEsr

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all, I'm yet to buy a charging cable, and there are good quality ones online for about £130 (5m, 32A, 7.2Kw, single phase for the short range SE). The MG one is about £240.

Is it worth paying a lot extra for the MG cable? I doubt it is better, but could it avoid any warranty issues if there was a charging problem? Have people had any problems with 3rd party cables? EV onestop and EV cables sell a decent looking range, and Amazon does too. Thanks.

As long as you get it from a reputable supplier there is no problem.
If you are buying it from Amazon make sure it is supplied from a UK company so it should meet UK standards.

Hi all, I'm yet to buy a charging cable, and there are good quality ones online for about £130 (5m, 32A, 7.2Kw, single phase for the short range SE). The MG one is about £240.

Is it worth paying a lot extra for the MG cable? I doubt it is better, but could it avoid any warranty issues if there was a charging problem? Have people had any problems with 3rd party cables? EV onestop and EV cables sell a decent looking range, and Amazon does too. Thanks.
I haven't heard of a cheap type2 cable causing warranty issues but I would go for a UK one. All it does is put mains 230v into the car for the on board charger.

I bought a £99.99 3 phase 5m cable from ebay for my MG4 Trophy and its great.
This gives you the opportunity for 22kw charging which I have tried successfully
It's a well made cable with bag which is a bargain
You can only charge at 11kw AC on an MG4, for it's extra cost I don't see the benefit of getting a 3 phase Type 2 cable for just 4 extra Kw. If I need to charge faster than 7kw, I might as well take it to a DC charger.

You can only charge at 11kw AC on an MG4, for it's extra cost I don't see the benefit of getting a 3 phase Type 2 cable for just 4 extra Kw. If I need to charge faster than 7kw, I might as well take it to a DC charger.
I think that is sensible if you live somewhere with a lot of rapid chargers. For me there are few down here so I find the 3 phase worth it.

A cable is a cable. Plenty of decent ones on Ebay. I got a three phase one for £70.

Three phase charging comes into its own when you're away from home and have access to 22kw charging. If you take your EV abroad, where 22kw is ubiquitous, that extra you pick up in an hour's charging is well worth having.

On a 11kw charger I regularly use I get around 10Kwh charging with a 3 phase cable vs only 3.3kwh with a single phase cable. There’s definitely a benefit spending a little bit more on a 3 phase if you need a new cable.

On a 11kw charger I regularly use I get around 10Kwh charging with a 3 phase cable vs only 3.3kwh with a single phase cable. There’s definitely a benefit spending a little bit more on a 3 phase if you need a new cable.
3.3kW will be a 16A single phase cable. 32A single phase cables will give you about 6.6kW.

No. We’ve had this discussion on different threads. The 11kw and 22kw chargers are 3 phase so you would get a third of that with a single phase 32A cable. I have both a 32A single and 32A 3 phase type 2 cable and have used both on my office 11kw chargers. I get 3.3kwh from the single and 10kwh from 3 phase.

I think the confusion was due to there not usually being 11kW charge points available ... mostly they're 22kW.

My bad, yes, I thought you meant a 22kW charger, but yes an 11kW 3 phase charger will only give 3.3kW per phase... it is just that I haven't come across one but I guess they are more common in workplace than public chargers?

It will actually be around 11kw as the app / car seems to read 10% low.

And do remember that THE CAR wont charge above 11kw on a 22kw charger anyway and needs to be a LR or Trophy to do so.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back