Type 2 Charging Cables

No harm in asking if they will throw one in.
I got the protection pack thrown in with my MG5.
If you do buy a non MG one get one the length you will need.

Upvote 0
I have been on EBay and seen a type 2 charging cable for £103 are these ok to use at supermarkets like Lidl what’s the difference between them and a £200 one from MG? I guess that I will need to chain it to the car to stop it getting nicked☹️

Upvote 0
The plugs are locked in when your car is locked so the cable cannot be removed other than by breaking it.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your speedy reply. I asked because there was a EV plugged into a free charger at Lidl Bexleyheath and they had chained it to their wheel 😃

Upvote 0
I will make up a waterproof label saying that “this cable is locked into the car and cannot be removed”. Might stop a tea leaf trying to nick it thereby saving any possible damage

Upvote 0
I know the ZS doesn't, but I believe some EVs unlock the cable when the car finishes charging at 100%.
Locking their cable to the car indicates to me they intend to leave the car after it's charged to 100%.
The thieves will learn to know, over time, which ones unlock when finished.

Upvote 0
I will make up a waterproof label saying that “this cable is locked into the car and cannot be removed”. Might stop a tea leaf trying to nick it thereby saving any possible damage
I wouldn't do that.
It would just encourage a miscreant to prove you wrong!

Upvote 0
There not many drugs you can buy with a broken type two charger cable. Surely deterrent enough! Just add if he tried where I live the dealer would probably send him home with the cable wrapped around his neck and the broken plug place carefully to stop him crapping himself.

Upvote 0
I have been on EBay and seen a type 2 charging cable for £103 are these ok to use at supermarkets like Lidl what’s the difference between them and a £200 one from MG? I guess that I will need to chain it to the car to stop it getting nicked☹️
Here is one I bought about two years ago, it is still at the same price of £114.00 including VAT.
It is the 32 Amp 7.2 kw rated lead, at the usual standard length of 5m but you CAN order one at 10m for an extra cost, but this is likely to be hard to keep tidy in the boot of your car.
It is a good quality lead and the price is reasonable.

Type 2 Cable  2022-01-30 at 16.07.18.png

Upvote 0
Has anyone on the forum ever heard of or had a cable stolen whilst charging?

Upvote 0
Thanks I have bookmarked your post for when my car arrives
Your very welcome !.
You can buy a cable storage bag also if you wish ?.
I don't do a lot of public charging to be honest, but a Type 2 cable is a necessary option in my mind.
Imagine you have planed a longish trip and you don't require a charge on route, but then you get diverted due to an accident etc.
You check for a charge point and there is one close by.
Pulling up at the charger, you discover it is free to use, but it requires the use of a type 2 lead !.
NOW - You realise that the investment was all worth it !.
I have a big problem with having a charging cable thrown in the boot of the car, it looks SO untidy.
I don't even want it on show in a bag, I want it completely out of sight, it kicks off my OCD :mad:.
The optional space saver wheel / jack kit ( add one to your wish list @Viper ) under the boot floor cover makes the ideal tool, to loosely coil your type 2 lead around.
Of course, if you are using the cable almost every day, then this is not very practical.
Some members prefer the full size spare wheel set up.
But I wanted to retain the full boot space.
If you opt for a space saver kit, the boot space is not compromised, at all, but if you go full sized wheel etc, you will need to raise up the boot cover board to the higher level and live with the lost space for your time with the car.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom