alexp260993

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hey everyone,
Long time listener first time poster...I have a query about changing tyres on my MG4 SE LR.
So recently, I unfortunately got a puncture in one of the front tyres and so, have no choice now but to replace both the front tyres. Booked in a tyre change and in the confirmation email, it mentions ensuring that the "locking wheel nut key is readily available" and it got me thinking...does this car have locking wheel nuts and if it doesn't, do I need to worry about supplying anything to the garage in order to change the tyre? and if it does...I assume the key comes with the car and I don't need to order one from MG?
Annoyingly being able to see what's under the alloy covers would probably have saved me raising this post but, to add extra annoyance, the incident happened just outside my parents house in London on a Sunday and I live in Cardiff and both myself and partner needed to be in work the next morning so had no choice but to leave it at my parents.
Also should mention that this is my first car as well so am a bit of a novice when it comes to owning a car and knowing what's what and apologies if similar post(s) have been raised on this subject before (I did check but could have easily missed something).
Thanks all.

Last edited:
Bad luck with the puncture, hopefully not too new a tyre.

My MG4 did not come with locking wheel nuts and my dealer confirmed this was correct on pick up when I asked.

When you get the new tyres fitted I would tell them that the wheels come with tyre pressure monitors installed and ask them kindly to take care and keep the wheels in the same position (i.e current left one remains on the left with new tyre etc..).

Bad luck with the puncture, hopefully not too new a tyre.

My MG4 did not come with locking wheel nuts and my dealer confirmed this was correct on pick up when I asked.

When you take it in for new tyres I would tell them that the wheels come with tyre pressure monitors installed and ask them kindly to keep the wheels in the same position (i.e current left one remains on the left with new tyre etc..).
Good point, well made 👍🤣

I'm more worried that you have had a puncture (infinitely repairable) and you are being done for two new tyres!!!
I was going to order one but then I read that it is strongly recommended (I imagine even more so for insurance purposes) that the tyres on each axle are the same. It's not illegal but at the same time given a potential 3 hour motorway drive, I wouldn't feel all too comfortable either. At least I managed to take advantage of some black friday sales to get a good price on decent brand tyres so that's the positive I'm taking

Just beat me to it ian

Just? 🤣

Anyhow, guys, please explain...

Cover to rescue you, from said puncture?

Will come and repair puncture at roadside if possible?

Just recover you to nearest tyre place?

Thanks in advance. 👍

Personally, you wont catch me waiting an unspecified amount of time (regardless of what they tell you) at the roadside unless I have done something I can't deal with.
I thought the idea was that you used the sealant kit, to get yourself out of harms way asap?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back