Tyre pressure monitoring system accuracy

Interestingly I have been following the post on the “Terrible default tyres“
and after this mornings events I shall shortly be replacing both fronts and maybe the backs as well.
cmon spill the beef, what happened?

cmon spill the beef, what happened?
Well as I said earlier in this thread the tyre monitoring system activated this morning well before I noticed any difference in Control. However there was a rapid drop from 2.2 bar to 0.9 bar. As I was on the school run I was in 20 mph limit, the car was still comfortably driveable but at low speed and with some caution. Fortunately tyre was repairable but I won’t be driving long with a plug in the front tyre, hence thinking of changing them both. i don't like mix and match tyre set up so will probably change all four.

Well as I said earlier in this thread the tyre monitoring system activated this morning well before I noticed any difference in Control. However there was a rapid drop from 2.2 bar to 0.9 bar. As I was on the school run I was in 20 mph limit, the car was still comfortably driveable but at low speed and with some caution. Fortunately tyre was repairable but I won’t be driving long with a plug in the front tyre, hence thinking of changing them both. i don't like mix and match tyre set up so will probably change all four.
oh i see sorry, was being blind.

It's advised that you change the tyre's on each axel at the same time (with the same tyre), so that they behave the same, ie have the same level of grip, tread pattern, wear etc,. If they are different they could react differently in extreme braking, and cause wear on components in regular use.

However, I'm sure it's open to much debate, how much effect this will actually have on day to day driving. It would be perfectly legal to change just one.
I get it but having driven fleet vehicles for the best part of 20 years you don't get a choice.

Current van has 4 different branded tyres on it because when they get to 1.9mm or below we take them to the nearest National tyres and they change that tyre for the cheapest available on that day.

It used to bother me at the start but having covered several hundred thousand miles in fairness it's never caused me an issue, so could well be scaremongering to earn the big boys more money in tyres. Not to mention the environmental impact of replacing a tyre too soon.

Will be the same on my MG5 when I get it unfortunately and I guarantee they won't fit EV rated tyres for efficiency either, it'll be the cheapest tyre in that size 😭

Nothing wrong with mismatched tyres on every day runabouts. One of my vans also has mismatched tyres all at different tread depths. There's nothing wrong with a tyre that's been plugged properly neither. My N/S front has two plugs and my O/S rear has three.

If I had a performance car then I would think differently.
Mismatched tyres on my bikes can be hit and miss sometimes it's noticeable and sometimes not.

I had a 1988 Ford Granada with 4 different makes of tyres on, was fun accelerating off roundabouts and out of bends being rear wheel drive.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom