Tyre pressure

What do you set your tyre pressure to on your mg5
2.2 bar as per the manual and sticker on the driver's door frame.
I bought my car ex demo with a few thousand miles, and the pressures were set to 2.8 bar as I've seen advised by other users on the forum for increased range. I discovered that the centre of the tyres were heavily worn due to the over inflation.
I gradually reduced the pressure whilst monitoring the range until I got to the MG rated pressure of 2.2 bar.
I can definitely say that increasing the pressure has no effect on range, but does cost tyres!!

Just to add to this, my brand new car came from the dealer with over inflated tyres (37/38 psi) so I've lowered them today back to the recommended 32psi (2.2 bar) and will see how it drives later.

Andy

I'm glad I found this. Mine are set to 2.3 and I was considering setting them higher. Think I'll leave them as is.

I find it amusing that you get so much information about tyre pressures (and even temperatures) but nothing about battery temperature and health (whether balance charging is required, etc.)

I find it amusing that you get so much information about tyre pressures (and even temperatures) but nothing about battery temperature and health (whether balance charging is required, etc.)
There's quite a bit about it in the manual around page 146 onwards, for example:

Equalisation Charging
Equalisation charging means that after a normal charging process the battery management system will enter a mode where it will attempt to equalise the charge of every battery cell. If an equalisation charge has not been carried out for some time the message centre in the instrument pack will display 'Please Charge for BMS Balance'. Please refer to 'Slow Charging' in the 'Starting and Driving' section. On average it takes at least 7.5 hours to complete a charge that includes the equalisation charge. Note: Ambient temperatures have an effect on charging times, it may take longer to complete a charge when the ambient temperatures are low

Ah right! I haven't spent much time reading the FM but have heard that you need to regularly AC charge to balance the cells.
Question is, does it only do this at the end of a charge to 100% on AC?

I don't plan to charge to 100% on AC unless I'm going to be heading off on a long journey. I'm trickle charging off solar PV and won't often be charging much over 60%.

Will this be a problem?

I know you shouldn't keep batteries topped up to 100% all the time, but if it needs to be 100% to balance charge, then I'm going to need to rethink this strategy.

if it needs to be 100% to balance charge, then I'm going to need to rethink this strategy
You do. In theory the car will tell you when a balancing charge is required, but I give it one once a month just in case. The reality is that I normally do a long trip that often so aim to start fully charged on off-peak charge anyway.

Ah right! I haven't spent much time reading the FM but have heard that you need to regularly AC charge to balance the cells.
Question is, does it only do this at the end of a charge to 100% on AC?

I don't plan to charge to 100% on AC unless I'm going to be heading off on a long journey. I'm trickle charging off solar PV and won't often be charging much over 60%.

Will this be a problem?

I know you shouldn't keep batteries topped up to 100% all the time, but if it needs to be 100% to balance charge, then I'm going to need to rethink this strategy.
On the 5 it will balance after a full charge if it's not balanced for some time it will take longer to balance I have had 1-4 hours of balancing but if you do it every month it's between 1-2 hours to complete.

Hi pleased to read this, as with others my new MG5 SE (facelift) came and tyres are at 2.8 / 2.9 bar for some reason!!

Going to drop to recommended 2.2 - did people just to this by plugging in to tyre inflator at a garage and setting recommended level?

You can do it at a garage but it's better to have your own pump and pressure gauge.

As a note it is meant to be 2.2 at room temp :) eg before you have driven it and warmed the tyres up.

I have my own pump which makes it eaiser

Hi pleased to read this, as with others my new MG5 SE (facelift) came and tyres are at 2.8 / 2.9 bar for some reason!!

Going to drop to recommended 2.2 - did people just to this by plugging in to tyre inflator at a garage and setting recommended level?
The car comes supplied with an pump/inflator/pressure gauge.

The car comes supplied with an pump/inflator/pressure gauge.
lol i didnt think about that. I was thinking that was just for flats but now you say that I can see why it it is just a pump.

lol learning something new every day.

I had my tyres as factory inflated to 2.6 bar, as you say the tyres wore in the middle so when replacements were fitted they were inflated to 2.2 bar and all was good until winter when the really cold frosts triggered the puncture warning on random wheels because the cold air made them read below pressure. This was pointed out in its service in January and there answer was to inflate the tyres back to 2.6 bar. Anyone else had jittery puncture reports using lower pressure in the winter?

I had my tyres as factory inflated to 2.6 bar, as you say the tyres wore in the middle so when replacements were fitted they were inflated to 2.2 bar and all was good until winter when the really cold frosts triggered the puncture warning on random wheels because the cold air made them read below pressure. This was pointed out in its service in January and there answer was to inflate the tyres back to 2.6 bar. Anyone else had jittery puncture reports using lower pressure in the winter?
The idea is the tyres should 2.2 when cold (before you drive the car) .
In the winter the tyres will need more air added and in the summer possibly air out.

I basically check mine when the sessions change.

The idea is the tyres should 2.2 when cold (before you drive the car) .
In the winter the tyres will need more air added and in the summer possibly air out.

I basically check mine when the sessions change.
That makes good sense, I'll get on that straight away..

Hey just curious as to how accurate the car tyre pressure gauge is.

I have a tyre pump with a digital screen. If I use this is show the tyres as 2.2 if I look at the cars screen it show 2.3 or 2.4.

Without a third way to check trying to figure which one I believe. Lol maybe they are both wrong ha ha

Just done the pressure on mine at a Shell garage to 2.2 on the compressor display. TPMS is showing exactly 2.2 for all 4, but as a rule, I do trust the TPMS, dials on tyre inflators are way off, even for high price ones. The garage compressors are usually spot on but you do find some that are a tad lower in reality than the indicated pressure.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom