Laurie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My left rear tyre is flat as a pancake. I got the notification as I turned for home about low tyre pressure, then as I parked I heard and watched it go flat.

I tried to jack up the car with my Mazda 3 jack...lmao! I need hulk to get that done. So, next fix is to slime the tyre and get to tyre shop in the morning.

Has anyone used the cannister that comes with the vehicle? If so, tips on doing it would be greatly appreciated.

I love my car, I hate the lack of wheel tools and a spare tyre!!! Pain in the butt!

I believe the advice is to identify the location of the puncture first (assuming you can).

If in the middle two thirds of the tyre, it is likely repairable. If not, the tyre will probably have to be replaced.

Then move the car so the puncture location is at the bottom of the tyre.

Then use the can and the general idea is that the stuff will spray and run down to the bottom and then dry and seal the hole.

If you use the canister of gunk and get to the repair garage asap, it's still possible to have it removed and save the tyre if it's repairable.

Warning about tyre slime, if used on a TPMS equpied wheel be prepared to fork out for a new TPMS as it wil probably not survive beeing slimed. If one must one must, but that's the price you wil be paying.

Better to have a tyre plug set in the car and plug the leak on the spot, and then drive to the tyre shop to get it fixed if needed. Or even better, get AA or similar to come and pic the car up and drop it off at the tyre shop. If possible pump up the tyre some what before moving the vehicle.

I believe the advice is to identify the location of the puncture first (assuming you can).

If in the middle two thirds of the tyre, it is likely repairable. If not, the tyre will probably have to be replaced.

Then move the car so the puncture location is at the bottom of the tyre.

Then use the can and the general idea is that the stuff will spray and run down to the bottom and then dry and seal the hole.
Thanks. It is closer towards the car so I couldn't see it to ascertain what caused it, but I could feel and hear the air. Pretty significant hole.

These replies have me scared to use the slime, so Im going to have to try something else. Wrecking it to the tyre shop wont be cheap (nothing in Barbados is cheap) so I may have to get someone to come jack it up and remove the tyre and take that to the shop instead.

I'll def let you all know the outcome

Can anyone confirm the jacking point location as I'm finding conflicting info and also the type of jack we should use ?

On the rockers there are two molded in arrows, they are pointing to the Jack points.

The Jack points are under the rubber plugs for those who have such equipement, for us home fixers we can use the raised steel ridge inside of the rubber plugs. Use a solid and sturdy garage Jack with rubber on the lifting plate as the car is heavy. Do under no circumstances lift on the battery pack. This is per my dealership and the way I change my tyres.

Can anyone confirm the jacking point location as I'm finding conflicting info and also the type of jack we should use ?
Well, ive tried two different ones - a scissors jack which one would need Hulk to get used as the EV is so heavy. I then tried a hydraulic jack, well, that won't even fit under my car.

Ive officially given up. Ive called auto rescue and am waiting on them to see if they can fare any better than I have so far.

On the rockers there are two molded in arrows, they are pointing to the Jack points.

The Jack points are under the rubber plugs for those who have such equipement, for us home fixers we can use the raised steel ridge inside of the rubber plugs. Use a solid and sturdy garage Jack with rubber on the lifting plate as the car is heavy. Do under no circumstances lift on the battery pack. This is per my dealership and the way I change my tyres.

Thanks, have you found a scissor type hack that has rubber inserts ? I can’t find anything suitable

So Auto Assist came and their jack slid right under, tyre off and off i went to repair it, however they went about their business. I am capable of changing tyres on my own...until today! The tyre bolt set up is impossible to do unless you have 6 arms. I had to call Auto Assist back and even they had some trouble getting it back on. I finally made it to work at 11.

Clearly getting a flat with an EV is just a nightmare!

Thanks, have you found a scissor type hack that has rubber inserts ? I can’t find anything suitable
No and I realy do not recomend using a scissor jack, they are realy not heavy duty enough and far to unstable for use on an EV.

I juse a hydraulic garage jack I have 2, one cheap that just manage to do the job and a more expensive one that does the lifting safe and easy.

Cheap one is about 497nok or 45£ (I'm sure it's cheaper elswhere) the heavy duty one cost between 4100-6200nok or 360-544£ in Norway and is Danish workshop quality.
This is my second AC jack as I do not get my hands on the old one any more (30 years old now, time flys) when I need it as my brother (which owns 50% of it) uses the old one all the time. So I bought my self an updated an lower version as a gift to myself (and this one is not leaving my garage). 😄

I recomend AC hydraulic jacks or jacks of simelar quality for those who need a god sturdy jack and or uses it often. For more normal people a cheap 2 or 21/2t hydraulic jack wil do the trick a few times a year, but to be honnest I recomend to spend a little more money on a more stable jack than the one I'm show as cheap here (if you go for the cheapest jack, just make dam sure the jack and the car is on firm and flat ground and a wheel chocks are used).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123-223317_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123-223317_Chrome.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240123-223142_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123-223142_Chrome.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 24
HI just wondering if anyone has had false alarm regarding tyres, my right side rear keeps telling me I have lost pressure, but it is fibbing no problem with pressure in tyres I have deleted the messages on app but keeps returning same tyre.

No and I realy do not recomend using a scissor jack, they are realy not heavy duty enough and far to unstable for use on an EV.

I juse a hydraulic garage jack I have 2, one cheap that just manage to do the job and a more expensive one that does the lifting safe and easy.

Cheap one is about 497nok or 45£ (I'm sure it's cheaper elswhere) the heavy duty one cost between 4100-6200nok or 360-544£ in Norway and is Danish workshop quality.
This is my second AC jack as I do not get my hands on the old one any more (30 years old now, time flys) when I need it as my brother (which owns 50% of it) uses the old one all the time. So I bought my self an updated an lower version as a gift to myself (and this one is not leaving my garage). 😄

I recomend AC hydraulic jacks or jacks of simelar quality for those who need a god sturdy jack and or uses it often. For more normal people a cheap 2 or 21/2t hydraulic jack wil do the trick a few times a year, but to be honnest I recomend to spend a little more money on a more stable jack than the one I'm show as cheap here (if you go for the cheapest jack, just make dam sure the jack and the car is on firm and flat ground and a wheel chocks are used).

Other than a scissor jack what would you use on the roadside to change a wheel, I plan on getting a space saver, however a trolley jack will be to big to carry as well in the boot.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back