Tyre talk

Norfunk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi I know there have been a few posts about tyres and thought that I would asks a few questions. I had my first puncture today (rear left) what would you do assuming you had to buy a new tyre, would you replace them all with better tyres or just replace the one that's punctured. I'm not keen on the stock tyres it came with so my inclination is to replace them all however I don't really want to spend £600 this close to Christmas.

If the tires are still in good condition and the puncture isn't to big, you could use a tire repair kit.
If this helps for now you could wait until a replacement of all tires at once.

I have frequently had punctures repaired by my local garage at a very modest cost. I wouldn't buy a new tyre until Andrew had pronounced the damaged one irreparable.

When I had mine repaired it cost £24 so in your situation (or if mine was more worn) I would do as suggested and replace the 2 rears.

Then it's just deciding whether to go all season e.g. Michelin Cross Climate, or regular 'summer' tyres.

Bite the bullet and change all to Cross Climate 2's, transformed my car last year so much smoother and perfect for winter coming. Then try and sell your other tyres if tread is good.

Right so having read the advice I'm going to try and get it repaired then if that doesn't work I'm going to replace the back 2 now then the rest in January. I won't be doing much driving over winter so the tread shouldn't be that affected.

FWIW I got a Golf GT 2.0Tdi in 2012 as a company car. 2 weeks after I got it I got a puncture in one of the front tyres. I had one of those tar string tyre repair kits so I removed the nail, fixed the puncture with the kit, inflated the tyre and all was well. As I rotated the wheels at one of the services it meant all 4 tyres needed replacing at the same time at end of their life - some 44k miles. The tyre I self-repaired was one of them - it never lost any pressure in all that time. (No more so than any other tyre). :)

Have the puncture fixed and save up until after Christmas for some better tyres.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back