Tyre versus pothole

gasman

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I hit a water filled pothole in the dark this evening.
The pram wheel from a ZS EV fitted my car perfectly. Only 16 inch instead of 17 inch but it gets me back on the road so I can get ripped off by the tyre people.

Attachments

• 7D496B0A-0054-4A0B-B8F5-C159C7796267.jpeg
    7D496B0A-0054-4A0B-B8F5-C159C7796267.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 139
I hit a water filled pothole in the dark this evening.
The pram wheel from a ZS EV fitted my car perfectly. Only 16 inch instead of 17 inch but it gets me back on the road so I can get ripped off by the tyre people.
Sorry to read about this misfortune. Despite differences, I'm sure pothole despisement
is something we all unite on.
Hope you get it sorted soon enough and no damage is done to the underlying wheel.

It's worth having a close look at the suspension. Last hit I had in my other car (235/35/19 tyres) actually left the tyre and wheel unmarked but damaged the strut to the extent it required replacement.

i had a cooper tyre fitted yesterday and they checked everything out. All appears to be ok thankfully.

The space saver spare would be a bit useless if it wasn't :ROFLMAO:

But a space saver still has the same overall diameter as a standard wheel with tyre, it's just the width which is narrower. I suspect the comment related to wheels with different overall diameters - and I suspect that would be a breach of Custom & Use regulations.

On the MG5 the optional spare wheel/tyre is 3% smaller diameter than the standard wheel/tyre. Inevitably with tyre wear and the potential for them being changed at different times there must be some allowance for difference, but I don't know how much.

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use a space saver for more than 50 miles / 80km either.
It's designed just to get you to a nearby tyre fitter, no more.
Agreed, the classic sign of an unmaintained car is a bald space saver, unreadable numberplate due to dirt and bodywork that looks like someone played pinball with the car.

But a space saver still has the same overall diameter as a standard wheel with tyre, it's just the width which is narrower. I suspect the comment related to wheels with different overall diameters - and I suspect that would be a breach of Custom & Use regulations.
Not always, the gen 2 ZS space saver that is the same part number as the gen 1 is quite a bit smaller than the original wheel's rolling circumference.

Having had space saver spare wheels for most of the cars I've owned for the last 15-20 years, I can't remember ever having to use one, but I wouldn't be without one on any trip that is not local.
I've been lucky in that all the punctures I've had have been screws or nails in the tyre that have deflated slowly, giving me the option of over inflating the tyre and driving to the nearest fitter to get a repair or replacement tyre.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel