Unable to select a drive 'gear'

Got into the car this morning, quite nippy at about -2C, and for 10 minutes could not for the life of me select a 'gear' - drive, reverse, etc. Drive select button rim would not illuminate, LCD was showing 'ready', everything else as normal.

Spent that 10 minutes turning power totally off via the LCD, nothing, turning off all heating, etc, nothing, unlocking and locking car, nothing. Eventually (but I don't know for sure this is what worked or it just decided to work at the same time), we all got out of the car, I locked it again, waiting 10 seconds then unlocked it, got back in, turned off the heater that came on, and then eventually the drive select button illuminated and we were good to go.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a known fault, a known 'feature' or am I doing something wrong? Had the car 1.5 years now and this has never happened before.
Something similar happened to us the other day, though I can't recall whether there was no light on the gear selector. I tried putting my foot on the brake, and was beginning to panic when t turned out that my door was slightly open. Opening and shutting the door was enough.
On reflection I thought it was a reasonable precaution.

12v lead acid state of charge / voltage guide:
Important to note those values are resting/open circuit voltages. As soon as there is any current flowing (in or out) then the chart is of little use. At best it is a guide only. To know the condition of a battery requires a suitable battery test.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back