Unbelievable! [ Charging etiquette ]

Ted the dog

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So we pulled up at Northampton southbound services for a charge. Only 1 charger so had to wait 10 mins. No real issue. Popped the car on charge and went to grab a coffee in Costa. Sat in by the window and started our brew. 10 minutes later a Kia EV pulled up, checked my charge and went and sat in his car to wait. 5 mins later he got out wondered over looked at my charge… then turned me off!!… he then scuttled off to his car. I went and checked and was only on 60% … so I went over and asked why he had stopped my charge … you was on 90% he said!… I said I’m not on 90% and even if I was you should not of stopped my charge. Your on 90% he kept saying… I said turning me off doesn’t make you get to the charger any quicker!. Needless to say I put my car back on charge. I then waited for another EV to wait and let them get ahead. The offending Kia then drove off. I’ve been driving my EV for 6 months now and never experienced anything like that. I accept the charging system currently is a bit of a pain, but to to turn someone off is just spite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fear this type of situation will get worse before it gets better, as more self entitleds move to BEVs. 😟
One consolation, I bet he was very disappointed that the MG wouldn't let him unplug you. :sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why it's so difficult to grasp that you shouldn't tamper with peoples property directly or indirectly. It's not as if he was waiting long, not to mention it isn't anyone's business what % charge you want to top up to.

That wasn't acceptable, and he's lucky because a less patient individual might have taught him a hard lesson. Even if I felt I was in the right, I'd still not interfere with a charge because you simply don't know how an owner may respond.

Don't let it wind you up - as more EVs are sold, presumably the odds of encountering a 🔔🔚 on your travels increases 😆

Can anyone else is a 80% cap being but in place I know Tesla add caps when busy but that could just be for the free supercharging

At 90% I would be looking at the other perspective too. At 60% the OP would have been 20% away from the point that most say you should move on and free up the charger.

I can see this situation coming up increasingly frequently though. You should never physically interfere with someones charge, it gets noone anywhere.

I did try to unplug a Tesla, waited till it were 95%, only to find the sentry mode kick off and seeing myself on the giant central display.😄

I waited for the gentleman's return and explained myself, he did not mind a bit.

I was desperate, would not recommend unplugging others unless absolutely necessary.

I think there is a point being missed here, once again it is the lack of charging stations that will cause more of these scenarios. As the more people purchase BEV the more people will need a charge. Whilst I completely agree this person is well out of order and I would have challenged him, but the fact that the infrastructure is far from keeping pace with the sale of BEV then this will continue to happen. Maybe charge stations will need cameras fitted with ANPR so if an individual stops a charge lower than 80% the camera is triggered and checked to see if that individual has stopped that charge to charge their own vehicle. If they have the reg and can trace the owner and issue a fine. Also we will probably start see laws created as some people just do not have etiquette.

More charging stations would surely have helped, but there could've been 4+ machines and still a queue (as has happened to us). At the end of the day as frustrated as you may be, you don't interfere with someone's charge whether it's 9% or 90% - be patient and wait your turn.

If I was that desperate I would've waited for the OP to get back, and asked whether I could get on sooner. Most of the time people are more amenable when you take a moment to speak first. In the OP's scenario, even a cap of 80% wouldn't have helped - the other guy clearly didn't care to wait.

I would have turned him off !.
literally. (y)
Punch You Oh No GIF by GritTV

More charging stations would surely have helped, but there could've been 4+ machines and still a queue (as has happened to us). At the end of the day as frustrated as you may be, you don't interfere with someone's charge whether it's 9% or 90% - be patient and wait your turn.

If I was that desperate I would've waited for the OP to get back, and asked whether I could get on sooner. Most of the time people are more amenable when you take a moment to speak first. In the OP's scenario, even a cap of 80% wouldn't have helped - the other guy clearly didn't care to wait.
As I said I too am not happy with this guys behaviour and the blatant disregard for someone else’s property. But this seems to be common place which is very concerning, as I too would have been on the very point off switching them off! I am merely pointing out that something needs to be done to curtail this behaviour before it gets out of hand. Because this will escalate over time if nothing is done.

I was sat on a charger, drinking my coffee having my sausage bap, when a gentleman turns up. Knocks on my window, as we know with MG switched of windows dont open. So I started to open my door he pushed it closed and shouted I want the charger. I replied yes when I have finished with it. At this he went and stood in front of my car covering the charger.
At 70yrs my confrontation days are over. But I felt unsafe, so I drank my coffee etc, unplugged with him standing behind me, and drove off. This incident has put me off public charging and a good reason why I brought the long range.

I was sat on a charger, drinking my coffee having my sausage bap, when a gentleman turns up. Knocks on my window, as we know with MG switched of windows dont open. So I started to open my door he pushed it closed and shouted I want the charger. I replied yes when I have finished with it. At this he went and stood in front of my car covering the charger.
At 70yrs my confrontation days are over. But I felt unsafe, so I drank my coffee etc, unplugged with him standing behind me, and drove off. This incident has put me off public charging and a good reason why I brought the long range.
If you felt threatened you should have called the police. That behaviour is uncalled for and completely unacceptable! If you were at a service station I am sure the police were not far away.

I think some signage is needed at all public charging points as waiting to ‘refuel’ is a new concept for most motorists since the wonderful invention of self-service (?) - ie security cameras installed and active, threatening behaviour will be recorded and reported, be patient and respect other users …any other ideas? Of course, there are always the few that won’t (or can’t) control their rage and impatience:confused:

This is absolutely horrendous, and it's a real shame one individual made you feel that way.

I would lean towards locking myself in and calling the Police. Him shoving the door was unprovoked aggression, and once out of your vehicle you're even more vulnerable to someone of unknown mentality. People like that will keep doing what they can get away with. However I completely understand you wanting to get away unscathed as quickly as possible!

It also makes earlier my point though, that we shouldn't assume an owner's mentality. It's exactly that type of person whose warpath you may end up on if you charge interfere .

I think some signage is needed at all public charging points as waiting to ‘refuel’ is a new concept for most motorists since the wonderful invention of self-service (?) - ie security cameras installed and active, threatening behaviour will be recorded and reported, be patient and respect other users …any other ideas? Of course, there are always the few that won’t (or can’t) control their rage and impatience:confused:
Better signage wouldn't go amiss, since people don't read whatever small print there may be on the machines or in T's and C's.

How do you find it charging? Do find yourself picking a location based on certain criteria?
Me personally I would never use a location late at night if avoidable, or one that's a single unit stuck in a corner as an afterthought. Unlike petrol stations there's no staff, often little by way of lighting and not even passers-by so at least you're not alone.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom