Unbelievable! [ Charging etiquette ]

Any units that are placed close to the store ( due to the proximity of the cable run ) become fair game for anybody who wishes to just “Pop” into the store to collect something unfortunately !.

(Talking about parking etiqutte and not charging etiquette here)- I had a similar experience just yesterday. Went out locally with my wife for some household shopping and none of the electric car parking bays were free. All parked with ICE cars. I had to wait until one of them became free. By the time I could get out and talk to the driver, he raced away. After parking in that free bay, I noticed a cab driver who parked his car in the next bay come back. I politely asked him if his car was an EV and he rather proudly/arrogantly said No. I told him why did he then park on the bay meant for electric cars? I told him I had to wait until one of the bays was free. He started having a go at me saying why am I telling him off. I told him that I wasn't having a go at him but only reminding him that these bays are marked electric only for a reason. There were a couple of chargers installed behind too. He made faces at me and went away taking his car. Before I could go away, there was another lady in an ICE merc car who came and parked in that same free bay! I just nodded my head and moved on! Even when I drove an ICE car, I never parked in bays meant for electric cars! I really wish and hope some measures are taken to avoid such instances. Just education is not enough!

Last edited:
This is not a new problem, people park on double yellow and disabled bays all the time. Without penalties and enforcement nothing will change.

Parking in this country has been run by cowboys forever, and that includes council controlled parking. We should employ the German system where the fine is reasonable, you can appeal without losing access to the discounted fine. Having an appeal system that takes away your discount when fighting it is just plain stupid.

I think there is a point being missed here, once again it is the lack of charging stations that will cause more of these scenarios. As the more people purchase BEV the more people will need a charge. Whilst I completely agree this person is well out of order and I would have challenged him, but the fact that the infrastructure is far from keeping pace with the sale of BEV then this will continue to happen. Maybe charge stations will need cameras fitted with ANPR so if an individual stops a charge lower than 80% the camera is triggered and checked to see if that individual has stopped that charge to charge their own vehicle. If they have the reg and can trace the owner and issue a fine. Also we will probably start see laws created as some people just do not have etiquette.
Agreed and if all charge points were working we would have more capacity. There is no reason why these stations should remain out of use for days. They are connected to the owning group and if connection drops out, that should raise an alarm. They are just lazy, want to maximise profit and do not invest in the repair or even remote reset of these chargers. (counter intuitive by the way as if not working they can't earn). Bottom-line more chargers needed as well as an mutually agreed set of byelaws.

(Talking about parking etiqutte and not charging etiquette here)- I had a similar experience just yesterday. Went out locally with my wife for some household shopping and none of the electric car parking bays were free. All parked with ICE cars. I had to wait until one of them became free. By the time I could get out and talk to the driver, he raced away. After parking in that free bay, I noticed a cab driver who parked his car in the next bay come back. I politely asked him if his car was an EV and he rather proudly/arrogantly said No. I told him why did he then park on the bay meant for electric cars? I told him I had to wait until one of the bays was free. He started having a go at me saying why am I telling him off. I told him that I wasn't having a go at him but only reminding him that these bays are marked electric only for a reason. There were a couple of chargers installed behind too. He made faces at me and went away taking his car. Before I could go away, there was another lady in an ICE merc car who came and parked in that same free bay! I just nodded my head and moved on! Even when I drove an ICE car, I never parked in bays meant for electric cars! I really wish and hope some measures are taken to avoid such instances. Just education is not enough!
Its not just EV parking, disabled, with children parking, crossing zig zags parking on pavement etc...etc totally ignored by those who just couldn't give a &uck about anything except themselves.

Can anyone else is a 80% cap being but in place I know Tesla add caps when busy but that could just be for the free supercharging
I suppose the only cap is if a charger has an overstay charge then there is a financial penalty for overstay. It is etiquette to charge to 80% as it has been proved that last 20% could take as long as it did to get you rapidly to 80% and it is far quicker to go to your next charge point and do a rapid again to 80%, it works out faster than waiting for that last 20%.
Having said that there may be the occasion that there may not be a nearby charge point at your destination and that last 20% is going to be important so how can anyone deny you taking it.🤷🏻‍♂️

So we pulled up at Northampton southbound services for a charge. Only 1 charger so had to wait 10 mins. No real issue. Popped the car on charge and went to grab a coffee in Costa. Sat in by the window and started our brew. 10 minutes later a Kia EV pulled up, checked my charge and went and sat in his car to wait. 5 mins later he got out wondered over looked at my charge… then turned me off!!… he then scuttled off to his car. I went and checked and was only on 60% … so I went over and asked why he had stopped my charge … you was on 90% he said!… I said I’m not on 90% and even if I was you should not of stopped my charge. Your on 90% he kept saying… I said turning me off doesn’t make you get to the charger any quicker!. Needless to say I put my car back on charge. I then waited for another EV to wait and let them get ahead. The offending Kia then drove off. I’ve been driving my EV for 6 months now and never experienced anything like that. I accept the charging system currently is a bit of a pain, but to to turn someone off is just spite.
I don't get this '80%' charge etiquette thing anyway. If I had a petrol car and needed to refuel I wouldn't dream of filling to 80% I would FILL IT 100% and try to get in more, as most people do!
When I plug in to a charger it's because I need to charge and I pay for the privilege of charging as much as I want. As to stopping your charge or someone touching my cable they risk a kick in the arse if I catch them and trust me they will NOT get the charger until I am good and ready. Morons are everywhere it seems.

If I had a petrol car and needed to refuel I wouldn't dream of filling to 80% I would FILL IT 100% and try to get in more, as most people do!
Sorry, but I have to say that I don’t feel this is fair comparison that you have used to be honest.
If you filled your car with fossil fuel ⛽️ to the 80% mark, but then decided to fill it to 100%.
Then the time taken to go from 80% to 100% would take less than two minutes.
Therefore their is almost no inconvenience to other people waiting to use that particular pump.
On the other hand, the time taken to go from a state of charge from 80% to 100% is NOT going to be anything close to two minutes.
Plus you could be using single charge point, when in petrol stations, they have multiple pumps to use.
If you need 100% of a charge, then you need 100% of a charge.
But remember, that when you are waiting to collect a charge yourself and somebody is sitting on the post at 90% SOC and you are in a hurry, you may just change you options on this matter.

Screenshot_20220226-125755.png

I unplugged a ZS owner yesterday abandoned on a rapid and not charging. Another couple of EV’s came and gone and it was still sitting in the space.

I know it's frustrating but I think we ought to look at the other side of this equation too though - I suspect there are lots of EV owners who just plug in and push off for hours regardless of state of charge or whether anybody might be waiting for it which isn't great either and I guess can add to people's frustration to such an extent that they take matters into their own hands by stopping charges and trying to unplug (good luck doing that on the MG!).

I've seen it mentioned on this forum before (but not enough IMHO) but there is a great app that would help everyone to feel little more comfortable about this problem:

I don't get this '80%' charge etiquette thing anyway. If I had a petrol car and needed to refuel I wouldn't dream of filling to 80% I would FILL IT 100% and try to get in more, as most people do!
When I plug in to a charger it's because I need to charge and I pay for the privilege of charging as much as I want. As to stopping your charge or someone touching my cable they risk a kick in the arse if I catch them and trust me they will NOT get the charger until I am good and ready. Morons are everywhere it seems.
The 80% charge thing as you call it is to your benefit as much as others. If you did a direct comparison to someone that persists on charging to 100% on a long journey they would not complete the journey before somebody doing same journey charging to 80% as they will always charge faster so even doing an extra charge they will complete the journey quicker so there really is no benefit doing 100% the last 20% takes far too long.

The 80% charge thing as you call it is to your benefit as much as others. If you did a direct comparison to someone that persists on charging to 100% on a long journey they would not complete the journey before somebody doing same journey charging to 80% as they will always charge faster so even doing an extra charge they will complete the journey quicker so there really is no benefit doing 100% the last 20% takes far too long. Comparing it to filling with petrol or diesel is not a direct comparison.

Some chargers require you to re-submit your credit card when you ask it to stop a charge, perhaps that should be a standard for all charge points. I have a card that I put on the dash if I have to leave the car whilst it is charging. It just say's "If I have reached 80% and I am not in my car please ring/message me" it also has my mobile number on it. You never know when you may suddenly need the bathroom or an extra coffee for the journey

Signed up, thanks. Anything that makes the driving and charging experience better. 👍
This is an excellent app mate! I must put it on my phone forthwith. Now if we can use it or something similar to message ICE drivers who park in EV charging spaces we have all bases covered!

Incidentally after Spurs whopping Leeds, I was hoping that you could pick up some points this afternoon but fate was against your lot! I really want a Sheffield team in the Premier League when Leeds are relegated.

👍 @bwanamdevu

So do I, so long as they play in red and white 😂
The Den, new or old, is never a nice place to visit. Was a scrappy affair and the goal, though well taken was result of a Millwall player taking out 2 defenders at the corner.

Still time to make it through the play offs, but our record in them is woeful.

Last edited by a moderator:
👍 @bwanamdevu

So do I, so long as they play in red and white 😂
The Den, new or old, is never a nice place to visit. Was a scrappy affair and the goal, though well taken was result of a Millwall player taking out 2 defenders at the corner.

Still time to make it through the play offs, but our record in them is woeful.
We are creeping up into the play-offs but, like your lot, our record in them is not good!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom