Undertray bodgy fix

OriginalBigAl

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
When collected had a slightly wavy undertray with one gap around 15mm and another 10 mm, I had a piece of builders galvanised angle 34*24*0.6mm which cost around 5 euros for 3m. ( French version B and Q ). I cut it to 1200mm and folded it into a u shape with gentle and gradual hammer strokes over a 4mm piece of hardboard. Under the car there are 4 off 6mm bolts for the leading edge of the undertray , loosen but do not take out, fit the galv u piece 20mm side down, then re tighten the bolts. With the same metal make the 3 off picture brackets , then under the car loosen without removing 3 off torqs screws which hold the trailing edge of the metal battery protector. Slip the brackets so the slot is under the metal protector and around the screw, then re-tighten . If there is a bit of play, using a screwdriver ( flat) force in a bit of rubber of suitable thickness, I used an old shoe insole. Voila! The easiest way would be to pre-make the u piece and brackets and take them to a car mechanic with a lift, He/She should be able to fit them in less than half an hour. From start to finish it took me 3 hours ( jacking up , designing , measuring , making and fitting.)and that was lying on my back.
Separately I noticed that there was damaged paint work in 4 places near to the jacking points on the vertical spot welded joints of the lower cills. It looks like in the factory the car was held up in these places to facilitate manufacture , and some damage occured whist the paint and underseal were still soft.

Attachments

• DSC09767.JPG
    DSC09767.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC09765.JPG
    DSC09765.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC09766.JPG
    DSC09766.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 155
Looks good.
I think I heard mine flapping on the motorway the other day. If the dealer does not come up with fix I'll do something similar.

Would carpet threshold strip do a similar job? Something like this and it would probably be stiff enough not to need the additional support brackets.
It may do, but you need a way to fix it, when I fitted the u piece stiffener the residual stress in the plastic still made it bend down slightly ( 8mm) over the 1200mm length. So I added the additional brackets. Both these fixings use the original fixing points on the car. The fixings for the under tray are recessed so if a wide enough carpet strip could be found it would need drilling accurately and longer bolts fitted. The best solution would be to have a local sheetmetal shop make one out of a thicker gauge stainless steel.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back