Undertray broken off

goldie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi All, First message on this forum! I’ve had my MG4 long range for around 6 weeks and done just over 1k miles. Last night I noticed that something seemed to be dangling down from the underside of the car. I was shocked to find, when examining it closer today, that it appears that a large section of the plastic undertray at the rear has fallen/been ripped off (see images) I can’t honestly say when this happened.

After coming on here and finding that there are many examples of badly fitting/bulging fittings, and that in at least 1 case the tray came off when going through water, I suspect it happened when driving in the wet and going through big puddles but actually cannot put my finger on exactly when. There does look like a particularly large bulge on the remaining part of the undertray though.

I have spoken to nearest dealer but cannot get them to look at it for 4 weeks. It is mine under the NHS lease scheme but they just said I needed to sort this with a dealer. It looks like the part remaining is secure but I am wondering about the safety of driving the vehicle in the meantime. Any thoughts/help/suggestions here would be truly welcome. Thank you.

CD636C72-92D3-4DC2-A1B7-09AC9CF85669.jpeg

Attachments

• 64518A73-0A7F-43EB-A54D-0CBB20DC73BE.jpeg
    64518A73-0A7F-43EB-A54D-0CBB20DC73BE.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 112
  • A30EC410-4679-4A12-AB55-3AF81A1F72BE.jpeg
    A30EC410-4679-4A12-AB55-3AF81A1F72BE.jpeg
    550.1 KB · Views: 99
  • BB23ECE3-9A1B-4928-BD99-3E64CA5A6CDE.jpeg
    BB23ECE3-9A1B-4928-BD99-3E64CA5A6CDE.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 1D4EF2BE-01A6-4942-8D21-33E87A6CAC95.jpeg
    1D4EF2BE-01A6-4942-8D21-33E87A6CAC95.jpeg
    590.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 9D608EB5-3459-4848-BBEF-2DC5EC4663FD.jpeg
    9D608EB5-3459-4848-BBEF-2DC5EC4663FD.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 89
  • EE3F726A-3372-44BD-8150-A4ED8CB42698.jpeg
    EE3F726A-3372-44BD-8150-A4ED8CB42698.jpeg
    546.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 07052203-F546-43ED-8BE6-CA92144C0257.jpeg
    07052203-F546-43ED-8BE6-CA92144C0257.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 100
  • E5498638-8351-499F-9C62-7CB3CC28C291.jpeg
    E5498638-8351-499F-9C62-7CB3CC28C291.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 104
The thing dangling down it a bit of black fabric btw and it doesn’t easily pull off. I can’t tell whether it has just been picked up and snagged on the sharp edge of the broken plastic, or whether it actually originates from sitting above the tray, within the car. Thanks

Hi All, First message on this forum! I’ve had my MG4 long range for around 6 weeks and done just over 1k miles. Last night I noticed that something seemed to be dangling down from the underside of the car. I was shocked to find, when examining it closer today, that it appears that a large section of the plastic undertray at the rear has fallen/been ripped off (see images) I can’t honestly say when this happened.

After coming on here and finding that there are many examples of badly fitting/bulging fittings, and that in at least 1 case the tray came off when going through water, I suspect it happened when driving in the wet and going through big puddles but actually cannot put my finger on exactly when. There does look like a particularly large bulge on the remaining part of the undertray though.

I have spoken to nearest dealer but cannot get them to look at it for 4 weeks. It is mine under the NHS lease scheme but they just said I needed to sort this with a dealer. It looks like the part remaining is secure but I am wondering about the safety of driving the vehicle in the meantime. Any thoughts/help/suggestions here would be truly welcome. Thank you.
View attachment 24343
Don't worry it's by design according to MG

Recently replaced my undertray. The thin and brittle plastic 'only' fractured across one of the corner brackets, but didn't want to risk it ripping off during use.
Took many weeks to organise (and a few repeat visits to the dealer when it hadn't been ordered as previously promised, etc.) and ended up costing more than quoted too, but they did at least fit it for free.

In case of use to anyone, below are the part numbers from the invoice, and the cost (excluding VAT and any labour):

1708970064739.png

As I didn’t get a very good initial response from the MG dealership, and worryingly his main excuse was that they are inundated with ‘problems similar to yours’ I got in touch with the leasing company who have it booked in to an approved (but non MG) garage next week. Surely all they can do is remove the remains of the tray and check for other damage though? Assuming they would then need to order the replacement tray from MG and rebook to fit it. Is it safe to drive in the meantime if there are wet conditions? Will this count as ‘warranty work?’ I don’t know, but I guess as they technically own the car it’s their decision. The worrying thing from checking out other threads though is that there is no guarantee that this problem will not repeat. All very frustrating from my new ‘all in, no issues, cheap yet trouble free motoring’ decision.

Recently replaced my undertray. The thin and brittle plastic 'only' fractured across one of the corner brackets, but didn't want to risk it ripping off during use.
Took many weeks to organise (and a few repeat visits to the dealer when it hadn't been ordered as previously promised, etc.) and ended up costing more than quoted too, but they did at least fit it for free.

In case of use to anyone, below are the part numbers from the invoice, and the cost (excluding VAT and any labour):

View attachment 24354
That’s great, well the fact you got it sorted and that the cost was not to much anyway, shame they messed you about, but good info, thanks so much Nick.

I lost the undertray on my Peugeot 306 when it was middle-aged. (Or rather, the rear fixings became detached, causing it to drag on the road.) Two separate garages told me to take it off and forget about it. I think its main function was aerodynamic.

I hope you’re right Rolfe, just thinking that maybe on an EV there are more electrical connections etc that may be prone to malfunction if they got wet. Also not great for efficiency if aerodynamics compromised. However my immediate concern is safety, getting it fixed and also deciding if I have made the wrong decision with this car, and what I can do about it. It’s such a shame though as she is a dream to drive!

I lost the undertray on my Peugeot 306 when it was middle-aged. (Or rather, the rear fixings became detached, causing it to drag on the road.) Two separate garages told me to take it off and forget about it. I think its main function was aerodynamic.
Whereas on the MG4 the bulge makes it anything but. :)

View attachment 24354
I would not of minded paying for the undertray, but surly the original bolts and accessories were re-usable?

I may be wrong but think I saw a post about this problem from Austraila, where there is now a bracket of some form being fitted to strengthen the tray. There were pictures. Anyone know about this.

1709390512179.png

View attachment 24515

Thank you. We really should be getting this in the UK.

I've already told my dealer about this bulletin (I'd noted the issue on collection), and that I want this fix when it becomes available in the UK. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back