Unresponsive car

vulcanboy426

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Does anyone else have a problem with their MG 4 not going into drive or reverse. This has happened to us several times at traffic lights, and even once at a road junction. The only way to clear it is to switch the car off with the main power button and start again, very embarrassing with traffic honking you to move .

Does anyone else have a problem with their MG 4 not going into drive or reverse. This has happened to us several times at traffic lights, and even once at a road junction. The only way to clear it is to switch the car off with the main power button and start again, very embarrassing with traffic honking you to move .
No problems here, but a quick blip off and back on the brake seem to sort these issues, out of interest where is the main power button?

Been there when we had a test drive, used P instead of long hold on foot brake or handbrake switch. Then come to drive off and nothing.

Touch car symbol bottom right corner, go into safety settings, slide power switch found there to off, this cuts all power to car systems , even turns off 🎽 day running lights.

Just put of interest, did you buy the car, and if you did, have you had the problem since .

We always use autohold, so the car stays in drive the whole time. I am presuming you are hitting P to put the electronic handbrake on and then switching back to D afterwards.

Never had a problem, but then we are not using the car in the same way by the sounds of it.
I am the same as you I find the autohold is a lot easier than messing around with the handbrake. I only use the handbrake if parking up.

Last edited:
I am the same as you I find the autohold is a lot easier than messaging around with the handbrake. I only use the handbrake if parking up.
But even if I use the parking brake on occasion, why won't the car go back into drive, you turn the selector wheel, but the car does nothing, on 2 occasions, all three indicators were lit up , P, D and R, and the car was locked up until I switched off using the main power button on the safety screen. Surely that's not normal, it never happens when I put the selector in P at home.

Just for clarity, I use the P position occasionally when on a hill, waiting for traffic lights , not all the time .

Yes and most times the car just goes into drive and away we go, but on occasions it will not engage D , it will not engage R , and as I stated before, on at least 2 occasions, all three were lit up and I had to switch the car off and on to get it to do anything. I asked the dealer, but they said they hadn't heard of this, and in fact seemed to think I was making it up.

Ok, I suppose I had better go back to the dealer, maybe they will believe me this time. I have to say , I like the car apart from few probs, but the customer service from both our local dealer and head office has been appalling .

Not sure what you mean by not going into drive. It should be in drive when you stop. Are you putting it into neutral??

Of course, when I'm on a hill waiting at traffic lights I use the park button. I don't do this on the flat , I use the autohold , but after one incident where the autohold released and the car started to roll into the back of the car in front, I sometimes use the park on an incline. Is this wrong and I should only press the p button when I'm getting out of the car. ?? On my test , I was taught to use the handbrake, so I guess I should just hold it on the brake all the time now, according to everyone on this forum .

Of course, when I'm on a hill waiting at traffic lights I use the park button. I don't do this on the flat , I use the autohold , but after one incident where the autohold released and the car started to roll into the back of the car in front, I sometimes use the park on an incline. Is this wrong and I should only press the p button when I'm getting out of the car. ?? On my test , I was taught to use the handbrake, so I guess I should just hold it on the brake all the time now, according to everyone on this forum .
Or use the electronic handbrake switch.

I don’t see why sitting on the brake is a problem?
Yes it can be a visual pain for the person behind on dark nights, but I’ve given up caring when everyone else does it. 🤷‍♂️
My car has auto-hold which would avoid the need for me to stand on the brake when stopped, but I don’t like how much throttle is needed to release it and I like being able to ‘creep’
So ignored it shall be.

I don't think it's worth worrying about what other people think about our brake light. Lots of people sit on the brake at traffic lights or in jams, and I don't think anyone really thinks anything about it. For all I know the brake light stays on when auto-hold is engaged.

Not the same thing, but a couple of weeks ago I was following a Leaf on a rather windy road, and his brake lights were coming on and off in a pretty weird and surprisingly frequent pattern. Or surprisingly in terms of ICE behaviour anyway. I realised that the driver almost certainly wasn't touching his brakes, and what I was seeing was regenerative braking happening when he took his foot off the accelerator. Our cars will be doing the same, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Ok, I suppose I had better go back to the dealer, maybe they will believe me this time. I have to say , I like the car apart from few probs, but the customer service from both our local dealer and head office has been appalling .
This is unfortunately too common (bad service). There are good dealers out there but they need searching out.

The debates about autohold and brake lights have raged long and strong.

Some say that autohold is bad:
  • Bright shining brake lights dazzling drivers behind.
  • Autohold does not apply full pressure so is less safe than the handbrake.
  • Highway code tells you to apply to handbrake, do as you should.

Some say that the handbrake is bad:
  • If you are hit, better not to have your brakes on from an impact-to-you perspective.
  • No visible rear lights, increased chance of being rear-ended.
  • Delays everyone at the lights while you deselect and find a gear.

I use autohold all the time.

This is unfortunately too common (bad service). There are good dealers out there but they need searching out.

The debates about autohold and brake lights have raged long and strong.

Some say that autohold is bad:
  • Bright shining brake lights dazzling drivers behind.
  • Autohold does not apply full pressure so is less safe than the handbrake.
  • Highway code tells you to apply to handbrake, do as you should.

Some say that the handbrake is bad:
  • If you are hit, better not to have your brakes on from an impact-to-you perspective.
  • No visible rear lights, increased chance of being rear-ended.
  • Delays everyone at the lights while you deselect and find a gear.

I use autohold all the time.

Are you sure autohold triggers the brake lights?
For the entire duration you’re stopped?
If so, that’s the only possible advantage to auto-hold that I could fathom (no dazzling brake lights) completely nullified.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back