Update re. Looped electricity situation

Susanna

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have been using my EVSE since getting my car in November 22, with the okay given by Western Power, even though my property is looped through to the next house (all detached, and not even adjacent). My neighbour, quite understandably, did not want their driveway dug up, when it was of no advantage to them. As far as I was concerned, that was the end of it, unless my neighbour wanted a heat pump boiler or EVSE installed, in which case unlooping would be necessary. Just before Christmas, we were each contacted by National Grid, who were not happy with the set up. However, they said that rather than laying new cabling to the neighbour with the associated disruption and digging up of their paved driveway and pavers in the road in front, they would install new cut outs to us both. This was carried out today, and the only disruption was having no power for 45 minutes. We are now rated for 80amps, the maximum permitted now, apparently.

I wonder whether theirs was de-rated in favour of yours?

@siteguru - Ah, I misunderstood! I don’t believe anything was done to my neighbour’s property prior to today.

This is what I have now. It’s in my garage
IMG_4646.jpeg

We were “unlooped” last month and they didn’t lay a second cable to my neighbour.
Instead they dug a hole where the feed comes into the meter box, and added an underground junction to split off the neighbours supply before it comes out of the ground!
I checked and they said it was fine having only one cable underground to both houses!

We were “unlooped” last month and they didn’t lay a second cable to my neighbour.
Instead they dug a hole where the feed comes into the meter box, and added an underground junction to split off the neighbours supply before it comes out of the ground!
I checked and they said it was fine having only one cable underground to both houses!
What size fuse do you have now?
This sounds like they have split the cable which is not much difference to being 'looped' so both houses are still being fed by the same cable from the road.

No if you look closely at the image he posted you will see that it's from a three phase connection (415 volt). He will be connected to a different phase to his neighbour giving him in effect his own power supply.

No if you look closely at the image he posted you will see that it's from a three phase connection (415 volt). He will be connected to a different phase to his neighbour giving him in effect his own power supply.
Hi, which picture are you referring too? @Susanna may not be a he.
Uk properties don't normally have 3 phases.

Sorry typing error and apologies to Susanna. You can clearly see marked on the National grid box 80 amp 415 volts, so it's a three phase box. They will be using one of the phases to supply power to the property with one of the other phases going to the other house, giving both properties single phase voltage at 80 amps.

No, I definitely haven’t been unlooped. This was the alternative to having driveways/roads dug up, and (presumably) a much cheaper option for National Grid. Also, very much better for neighbourly relations……
P.S. I am female!!

I was given an 'estimate' of £7500 to unloop (dependent on way leaves). The cable comes from a pole in front of my neighbour's house to the front of his along his side wall and then along the back of the terrace. 1 & 2 (me) are looped, as are 4 & 5, 3 has its own supply. We have a 65A cut out (so 32A each). They aren't 'allowed' to run a cable from the pole anymore so they were proposing to dig across the front of 1 and 2 then come under my path the the front door and relocate the meter to the front (which would result in almost a complete re-wire too).
There must be a better way.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom