Updates at Service are charged extras

The “Comfort 2” update was seen as a customer option improvement request and was then was deemed a chargeable upgrade.
I know this is a very contentious issue.
The HV fuse protection update was called by MG after some cars had broken down due to the main fuse failing and causing a complete failure of the drive system.
My local dealer had two of these cars.
One was as the result of a breakdown and the car failed at the time of the PDI check.
Both cars where shipped out to another agent on a flat bed.
I would not consider this update to be a customer request or a luxury upgrade !.
I my opinion, any upgrade that threatens the normal running / safety side of the car should be covered under the warranty.
It appears that many dealers are only applying updates as and when the customer has requested them.
That indicates a lack of their confidence in their ability to apply the software updates correctly.
It stance seems to be this :-
“If the customer does not ask, then don’t offer”.
As the MG ZS EV is the first electric car that the U.K. dealers have seen, they have little to no experience in with dealing with this level of technology.
A few dealers are a multi brand agent and have gained knowledge by working on earlier Nissan electric cars in the past and tend to be a lot more confident in dealing / applying software updates correctly.
I have to say, Glyn Hopkin in East London have applied all relevant updates with no extra charges, including comfort 2 in the autumn when that was the only purpose of the visit. Been very helpful. I'm very happy. Haven't yet sorted the incredibly irritating noise from the tailgate yet but it's going in next week.

I have to say, Glyn Hopkin in East London have applied all relevant updates with no extra charges, including comfort 2 in the autumn when that was the only purpose of the visit. Been very helpful. I'm very happy. Haven't yet sorted the incredibly irritating noise from the tailgate yet but it's going in next week.
Tailgate noise? I have a knocking that if I didn’t know better sounds like the tailgate rattling half open on it’s latch! I think it’s the sunroof but I’ve yet to get it sorted. What’s your tailgate noise?

Tailgate noise? I have a knocking that if I didn’t know better sounds like the tailgate rattling half open on it’s latch! I think it’s the sunroof but I’ve yet to get it sorted. What’s your tailgate noise?
Try removing the rear parcel shelf to see if it cures the problem, this can be a problem area on a lot of cars.
If this proves not to be the issue, then try dropping the rear seats and road test again.
It may be the problem and it will also help to identify if the rattle is coming from inside the tail gate / boot area.
Worth a go !.

Thanks For your suggestions. I’ve already had a go at eliminating certain areas;
i took everything out of the boot 🙁
i jammed the tailgate with a thick cloth to see if that improved things 🙁
i folded both rear seats down and road tested ☹️
next step is to sit in the back with someone driving to try to isolate further. It really is like a door rattling on a latch - sort 0f metal to metal knocking. Seems to be from behind the drivers head area ☹️
my current guess is it’s inside the sunroof cassette somewhere. 🤨

Thanks For your suggestions. I’ve already had a go at eliminating certain areas;
next step is to sit in the back with someone driving to try to isolate further. It really is like a door rattling on a latch - sort 0f metal to metal knocking. Seems to be from behind the drivers head area ☹️
Please keep us posted on your process of elimination!.

On my last car, I had the metal on metal rattle noise coming from the boot area and did everything you've done. After a lengthy bit of trial and error, I found the culprit to be the boot lid!

Despite putting cushioning pads, etc., I couldn't stop the rattle and later worked it out as being the boot lock hitting the latch. I managed to get it sorted by extending the boot bumper stops.

I've not gone out to have a look but most cars are similar - where the boot closes, there should be some rubber stops to stop metal on metal contact and provide some cushioning to the boot lid. These bumper stops are 'screwed' in and by unscrewing them, you can raise their height.

Obviously, if you keep unscrewing the bumper stops will come out! But, a quarter turn or half turn anti-clockwise may be sufficient to stop the lock and latch from making contact with each other.

If I get the chance, I'll have a look myself and post some pics of what I mean!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bloggsy

That’s very helpful - thank you. 🙂

Here you go !.
One image with the bump stop turned all the way home.
Then the second image displays what happens when you twist out the bump stop.
Try turning each one OUT a full turn, then test drive.
There is also adjustment on the boot catch striker plate on the body shell.
I will try and post an image also.
44949ECF-7C25-47B6-AF1E-F31CC384892C.jpeg
D6623E52-AE8C-4074-89D0-8FB6DEF1ED62.jpeg
FEAC2759-01DA-4DA8-892B-7C8823A592C2.jpeg

So - I followed your advice - thank you. I actually screwed the rubber stops out a full turn. On my initial drive I thought it had cured the noise! Then it slowly returned the same as before! It is intermittent which is strange. I’ll call the dealer tomorrow - but many thanks again 🙂

So - I followed your advice - thank you. I actually screwed the rubber stops out a full turn. On my initial drive I thought it had cured the noise! Then it slowly returned the same as before! It is intermittent which is strange. I’ll call the dealer tomorrow - but many thanks again 🙂
Please keep us posted !.
P.S. - Did you try completely removing the parcel shelve from the car ?.

Yes - tried that. I do think it’s from somewhere inside the sunroof cassette 🙁

There are a lot of very poor MG dealerships out there which is why I travelled over 200 miles to buy and collect my ZS EV to a much better rated dealer in Lancashire bypassing my local garages who didn’t even have the professionalism to even phone me back. I’ve even taken out service plan with them and will if need be take an overnight stay to have my service and any warranty work done to my satisfaction. When I collected my car early September all of the updates had been done free of charge.

Strange as mine has literally today started making a noise from the sunroof as well
I’ve heard of people having the sunroof cassette replaced. Is your noise similar to mine? I know it’s hard with noises - but like a door rattling on a latch type sound?

Out of interest when did you have the Service as you probably had a critical update installed which are free of charge. I'm guessing you haven't had the Comfort Update to remove bongs etc as that is chargeable
got my comfort update free 8 months ago

I’ve heard of people having the sunroof cassette replaced. Is your noise similar to mine? I know it’s hard with noises - but like a door rattling on a latch type sound?
That's exactly what mine sounds like

That's exactly what mine sounds like
I think that I may have cured my noise.

Hi All,
If you don't have the car serviced by an MG dealer, you will loose your Breakdown (AA) cover because it is renewed by the dealer, after. This info is in the book somewhere!

Regarding the updated BMS software, I had a call from Cambridge MG inviting me in for a BMS.
update after MG themselves had advised them based on my VIN number.
They carried this out, while I waited, and when finished, they presented me with a voucher for my next full / annual service to be done FOC.
As a bonus they had left a model of an MGB on my dashboard. Faultless customer care.
I love my MG ZS EV.
Redpiratepete
Wow, one of the rare lucky ones!

Can you pm me the Euromillions lottery numbers next week? 💸 🤞

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom