Updating the built-in satnav

I've discovered why this is happening: Windows 10 will not format drives of 32GB or larger in FAT32, how ******* annoying.

A few car based sat nav appear to have their foibles, my Alhambra didn't understand postcodes as being German made it only accepted 6 digits for the specific field. My Freelander had the propensity to take you off a dual carriageway to the roundabout above it the down the slip road back onto it.

I have tried two different "motorhome" sat nav neither of which worked properly. The Garmin had no ability to enter vehicle size or speed so how could it calculate travel times or suitable routes for width or height. The last trip to Grimsby was an absolute mare with the Garmin and a doddle with the iPhone on the return.

Thanks fellas, I've found a smaller USB stick so may have a go, after I've resolved issues with my new SyncEV charger installation: First one was duff, replaced on Friday with one that finally sorted itself out this morning, though I now need to run a second ethernet cable to the garage for other gadgets due to some conflict.

Anyone done this yet?

I created an account on mgtouch.naviextras.com and downloaded the Naviextras toolbox to my Windows PC.

Put a formatted USB stick into the car as instructed and ran the update which seeds the stick with the current information I guess and then ran the toolbox which tells me there are two updates available - one for the map and another for charger locations.

It has downloaded OK and now installing to the USB stick.

Final step is to plug it back into the car and run the update but worried it might brick it or something. Having said that, it's going into the dealer later this week to fix the dead radio module so I guess they could fix the satnav too if necessary.
Did this ever work for you. Naviextras doesn't recognise my device.

@bbsscj

Welcome to the forums!

Which MG5 do you have, the Facelift version or the Pre-Facelift? The method described in this thread applies ONLT to the Pre-Facelift since, as I understand it, the Facelift version has a completely different SatNav system.

I feel this is just to ensure it's formatted with the right filesystem. Though sometimes apps put a signature on which renders them unusable on other devices. Unlikely here I think.

EDIT: But therefore quite a sensible approach!!

Given the manual supplied with the car tells you how to get updates for the internal sat nav, I'm not sure they can say it is unsupported.

There's nothing I've been given to say that and the Naviextras website doesn't say that either. How else can you update the map?

My wife's Zoe uses a similar process (i.e. USB stick to computer and then back to the unit) and that works fine.
I have scoured the manual for instructions on how to update the sat nav system but can't find it anywhere. There are 305 pages. Can you tell me where it is?

Once I got a smaller 16GB usb key and formatted it FAT32 before putting it in the car the update went smoothly. I think the instructions are in the infotainment system manual on my early standard range 5.

I would like to use a built in map app but the road layouts in my part of London change so fast. If I didn’t use something online by Apple Maps I would be able to get anywhere lol

I feel sure this has been addressed in another thread, and not wishing to pee on anyone's chips, I use a £2 Sandisk 8Gb USB1.0 stick, formatted Fat32 in Win11 and had no problems, I must have done it a dozen times, but in all honesty cannot for the life of me see anything gained....

I plucked up the courage to attempt the SatNav update.

I took a "known good" 16GB USB key and formatted it FAT32 from my Windows 10 PC.

I signed up for an account at mgtouch.naviextras.com and downloaded the Naviextras toolbox to my Windows 10 PC.

I went back to my MG5, powered it to ready mode and plugged the USB key into the same port you would plug your phone into for Android Auto/CarPlay.

I then went to Settings/System and tapped Start on the Update Navigation field.

It took a while but then it asks to prepare the USB stick for the update and I clicked Yes.

View attachment 1560

A short while later it had finished and I clicked OK and switched off the car and unplugged the USB key.

I plugged the USB key into my PC. I then installed and ran the Naviextras toolbox app and entered my previously created account details.

It detected the USB key and found a couple of updates. I clicked to downloaded and installed them on to the key.

It took quite a while to download. I had to make sure my computer didn't go into standby so I wiggled the mouse every now and then.

Eventually it finished saying the update was successful and exited.
I then clicked on the "Safely Remove Hardware" View attachment 1561 icon on my taskbar and safely ejected the USB Key.

I went back to the MG5 powered it to ready mode again and waited for the screen to fully start up. I then inserted the USB Key in the same port as before and waited until it told me it couldn't find any media files.

I then went to Settings/System and tapped Start on the Update Navigation field again. It spent a good ten minutes scanning the USB Key and then eventually it prompted me to update the maps.

Another 10 minutes later and it said update complete. I did a couple of tests, then I powered off the car waited 30 seconds and removed the USB key.

Everything seems ok. I did a few extra tests. The EV charger database appears to be updated .

The update log file on the USB key suggests all the POI and maps were updated.

N.B. If you are going to do this I would suggest giving the media unit time to start up and shutdown before plugging-in and unplugging the USB key. I'd also recommend safely ejecting the USB key from your computer rather than just unplugging it (as just unplugging can corrupt the FAT32 filesystem, which could cause errors). And most importantly of all, make sure you have a good quality, "known good" USB key over 8GB in size.

Naviextras.com - Map updates for your navigation device and more...

Naviextras.com - Map updates for your navigation device and more...

Worked like a charm !

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom