Urgent: Unpredictable Horn Issue Makes Car Unreliable and Potentially Unsafe

pcmg4

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello everyone,

I'm at my wit's end with a confounding issue involving my car's horn. It has been randomly going off, both while driving and when parked. To give you some background, I've owned the car since April and have faced a multitude of issues, but this horn problem is the most perplexing and concerning.

Situation Overview:​

The car has been with my local garage for over two weeks, and they have yet to identify the root cause. At first, I suspected that the issue was tied to long-distance driving at motorway speeds, but the horn recently went off even while the car was parked. The only way to silence it was by pressing the horn myself.

Additional Context:​

Just a few weeks ago, the car was recalled for a manual patch update. The update process failed multiple times, and the mechanics had to resort to a factory reset to complete it. Ever since this reset, the horn problem has become a frequent occurrence.

Current Status:​

I've reached out to the dealer who is in turn contacting MG about the issue. I'm genuinely worried that my car is not roadworthy and not fit for its intended purpose. I love the car and would hate to go down the path of lodging an official complaint with the finance company.

Seeking Advice:​

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any suggestions on how to resolve it? Your expertise would be invaluable as I try to make my car reliable and safe once more.

Thank you in advance for any advice or insights you can provide!

A long shot but you don't have the keyfob in your pocket and accidentally press the lock button? It will sound the horn when the car is locked, not sure about when driving.

Sounds like a loose wire, short circuit, we had it 20 odd years ago on a new ford puma black (limited edition), it took a year to sort out, but as it was the end of the production run of the original puma, we couldn't get a replacement vehicle from ford. It turned out to be a wire that got trapped between 2 panels during the production, which cause a random wiring problem/short? depending on environmental conditions. Once resolved, never had another problem with it, but at the time of the fault, it was so stressful as you couldnt rely on the car - hope it gets resolved soon, i feel for you.

Actually just read your profile : Carlisle : it was CG Ford, on the main Hardwicke roundabout - they were excellent with loan cars etc., but it still took them a year to sort out!

My car did the same but only on startup and driving randomly let out a small burst on the horn started infrequently then started to do it daily.this was also after a update for the BMS system update.I ended up rejecting my car for other reasons so never found out what it was I did report to dealer but they said they couldn’t find anything.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any suggestions on how to resolve it? Your expertise would be invaluable as I try to make my car reliable and safe once more.

I'd play hardball with your dealer now. I'd create a list of issues you want fixed and present that list with the car to your dealer telling them they have one chance to fix the issues to your satisfaction or under the consumer rights act 2015 you will be rejecting the car as not fit for purpose.
What date did you receive the car ? if early April then early October is when 6 months will run out.

Last edited:
Is the garage failing to replicate the issue?
That can be as frustrating for them as you, so it’s up to you to provide proof, I don’t suppose you have a dashcam, or can get one?
Even one you’re just attaching to the screen with a sucker and plugging into the 12V?
Proof of it happening means they have to fix it, it’s definitely illegal for a horn to randomly sound.
And if they can’t fix it (again provable via a dash cam if/when it happens again) you have grounds for rejection.
Video evidence was pivotal in my rejection case.

BTW there isn’t a 6 month limit to rejection.
It just gets exponentially harder with time.

Last edited:
Sounds like a loose wire, short circuit, we had it 20 odd years ago on a new ford puma black (limited edition), it took a year to sort out, but as it was the end of the production run of the original puma, we couldn't get a replacement vehicle from ford. It turned out to be a wire that got trapped between 2 panels during the production, which cause a random wiring problem/short? depending on environmental conditions. Once resolved, never had another problem with it, but at the time of the fault, it was so stressful as you couldnt rely on the car - hope it gets resolved soon, i feel for you.

Actually just read your profile : Carlisle : it was CG Ford, on the main Hardwicke roundabout - they were excellent with loan cars etc., but it still took them a year to sort out!
G Ford, that's a blast from the past! Got knocked down years ago and now DFS!!

Thank you for your reply

I'd play hardball with your dealer now. I'd create a list of issues you want fixed and present that list with the car to your dealer telling them they have one chance to fix the issues to your satisfaction or under the consumer rights act 2015 you will be rejecting the car as not fit for purpose.
What date did you receive the car ? if early April then early October is when 6 months will run out.
Thank you!

I believe we are at that point in time now. (got the car 22nd March) It's on business finance and to be fair Santander have been encouraging. I did have the option of wind up of the agreement but that has to be agreed by the garage, which they declined, shock!
If no satisfaction I can then log a formal complaint and Santander will arrange an independent inspection.
Hopefully MG will do the right thing

My car did the same but only on startup and driving randomly let out a small burst on the horn started infrequently then started to do it daily.this was also after a update for the BMS system update.I ended up rejecting my car for other reasons so never found out what it was I did report to dealer but they said they couldn’t find anything.
Thank you!
Would you mind sharing how you rejected the car please?

Is the garage failing to replicate the issue?
That can be as frustrating for them as you, so it’s up to you to provide proof, I don’t suppose you have a dashcam, or can get one?
Even one you’re just attaching to the screen with a sucker and plugging into the 12V?
Proof of it happening means they have to fix it, it’s definitely illegal for a horn to randomly sound.
And if they can’t fix it (again provable via a dash cam if/when it happens again) you have grounds for rejection.
Video evidence was pivotal in my rejection case.

BTW there isn’t a 6 month limit to rejection.
It just gets exponentially harder with time.
I drove to the garage to report the issue first time round. 20 days before they could take a look!

Funny thing about that was when I was driving away, the horn went off! They acknowledged they heard it when advising no fault found. You can't make it up sometimes 🤷🏻

Does sound like a bad connection somewhere.

Note that the horn sounding can be related to the door sensors - if you try to lock with a door not properly closed it will chirp. I wonder if one of them is faulty?

Thank you!
Would you mind sharing how you rejected the car please?

Sent an email to MG finance, copying in the dealer, stating all the issues and a rough timeline, days spent at the dealer etc
No letter templates, no need to mention the consumer rights act, they know all that already and you’re not adding anything to the story.

MG finance spoke to the dealer who confirmed my claims, then they sent me an email confirming acceptance of my rejection.
At that point I drove the car to the dealer and left it with them.

Several weeks later I got all my money back.

I’m simplifying of course, there was a lot of calls and emails, but it’s worth it when you get all your money back and you can move on.

Note your dealer may charge for miles you’ve done, my car had barely done any under my foot.

I rejected mine although it has taken me 7 months and having to buy a new vehicle it was well worth the wait to put my mind at rest as I had several issues with my vehicle as previously stated.. best thing is to notify the garage of said issues and contact finance company also regarding right to reject.you have to give them 1 chance at fixing the fault.just document every conversation ensure u get paperwork if any work undertaken by garage as evidence.finance company will send out independent engineer to assess said faults if found to be faulty you are well in your rights.it has taken me 7 months this week I should get a full refund minus a little for fair useage .my dealer stoneacre we’re useless trying to not take it back they tried every trick in the book but stick your ground

My car did it today! I drove to work, popped into the shops, came out, and the horn started quick pips every time I indicated / turned a corner. I'd sounded the horn several times during the journey (at suicidal birds on a lane, no-one else around) and that's unusual, so I wonder if it is linked.

Very strange. Luckily it went after getting out and an off / on cycle.

Hello everyone,

I'm at my wit's end with a confounding issue involving my car's horn. It has been randomly going off, both while driving and when parked. To give you some background, I've owned the car since April and have faced a multitude of issues, but this horn problem is the most perplexing and concerning.

The car has been with my local garage for over two weeks, and they have yet to identify the root cause. At first, I suspected that the issue was tied to long-distance driving at motorway speeds, but the horn recently went off even while the car was parked. The only way to silence it was by pressing the horn myself.

Just a few weeks ago, the car was recalled for a manual patch update. The update process failed multiple times, and the mechanics had to resort to a factory reset to complete it. Ever since this reset, the horn problem has become a frequent occurrence.

I've reached out to the dealer who is in turn contacting MG about the issue. I'm genuinely worried that my car is not roadworthy and no
Hello everyone,

I've reached out to the dealer who is in turn contacting MG about the issue. I'm genuinely worried that my car is not roadworthy and not fit for its intended purpose. I love the car and would hate to go down the path of lodging an official complaint with the finance company.

t fit for its intended purpose. I love the car and would hate to go down the path of lodging an official complaint with the finance company.

I had a similar issue with a DS5 where the wipers would operate on their own even if the car was locked! Wrecked a few sets of blades. Had to have a body controller replaced and fortunately Citroen paid for it as the had to get a snr level tech from France to programme it🤣🤣

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back