USB A USB B Not Connected

Buster72

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have been having ongoing problems with Android Auto. And so far have tried 6 different USB A to USB C cables including some recommended here on this forum. I have an SE SR.
When I select AA on the infotainment screen, the AA starts on my phone momentarily then immediately goes off.

When I select USB on the infotainment screen it says:
USB A USB B NOT CONNECTED. Despite having a USB cable inserted into the left hand socket.

Could I please ask someone far cleverer than me to let me know whether this is how it should be or if this is not correct and likely to be the cause of the problem.
I would like to know before I take the car back to the dealer.
Thank you.

For USB to work will need a USB device with readable media in a format for the infotainment system to recognise, a cable alone will not be recognised.

I believe only the USB A works for AA and CarPlay, but could be wrong. Also using official/original cables seem to work best.

Other than that it’s a dealer issue, maybe software update?

This thread may be helpful:

Thank you. I have read each of the posts and they all related to playing music from a USB stick.

My problem is different.
I just can not get AA to work.
I do keep a USB cable inserted into the USB port on the car.
But when I select USB on the infotainment screen it says that there is no USB connected.

Could I please ask someone who has a SE SR AND who has AA working if they could check their car to see what the infotainment system says about USB connection.
Thank you in anticipation.
I am bald but still tearing my hair out over this and would greatly appreciate your help.

Try this.
On your phone go to settings and search and select Android Auto.
Go to previously selected cars and make sure the add new car slider is selected.
Plug in the usb your car should now be selectable.
This worked for me.

Thank you. I have read each of the posts and they all related to playing music from a USB stick.

My problem is different.
I just can not get AA to work.
I do keep a USB cable inserted into the USB port on the car.
But when I select USB on the infotainment screen it says that there is no USB connected.

Could I please ask someone who has a SE SR AND who has AA working if they could check their car to see what the infotainment system says about USB connection.
Thank you in anticipation.
I am bald but still tearing my hair out over this and would greatly appreciate your help.
The USB option is not for AA - it has its own selector from the main screen. USB is for music/videos only.

Try this.
On your phone go to settings and search and select Android Auto.
Go to previously selected cars and make sure the add new car slider is selected.
Plug in the usb your car should now be selectable.
This worked for me.
Thank you for this. I have tried that a number of times.

The USB option is not for AA - it has its own selector from the main screen. USB is for music/videos only.
Ok. Thank you. That makes sense and I now understand that has nothing to do with my problem.

Yeah, as @tsedge says, don't get hung up on the USB infotainment option if trying to use AA.

Connect your phone to the cable and the cable to the USB-A (Edited) port and Android Auto should work. There may be an option on your phone when you plug it in as to which USB mode to use, think i pick 'charging only' here.

I think also android auto still uses a bluetooth connection, which should turn on automatically. It may be worth making sure you've paired the car and phone via bluetooth first also. More info here:

As mentioned above, not all cables will work, I bought these from Amazon, seem to be fairly decent: Amazon product ASIN B09PV8GWWX
I have found it to be a bit 'flaky', I wait until the infotainment has booted up and ready before connecting the phone, just to increase chances of success 🤷🏽‍♂️

Which phone model do you have?

Last edited:
Ok. Thank you. That makes sense and I now understand that has nothing to do with my problem.

Use an official USB cable, the one that came with the phone should work best. Also make sure you update Android Auto via play store if an update is available.

Turn on phone Bluetooth and connect to the car, plug your phone into the USB Slot (left) wait a moment, select DATA TRANSFER (Android Auto) on your phone in the USB connection popup.

Then your phone and car should automatically enter Android Auto once paired, if not press the AA button on the main infotainment screen.

It took a couple of attempts for me, until I used my official USB cable.

Try a different phone to rule out your phone being the issue if this doesn't work.

Just watching this thread because I'm having a similar problem. I was thinking of going to my dealer to see if he could sort it, but it's over 20 miles away and I'm not confident it's their thing anyway. Useful tips showing up here already.

Yeah, as @tsedge says, don't get hung up on the USB infotainment option if trying to use AA.

Connect your phone to the cable and the cable to the USB-C port and Android Auto should work. There may be an option on your phone when you plug it in as to which USB mode to use, think i pick 'charging only' here.

I think also android auto still uses a bluetooth connection, which should turn on automatically. It may be worth making sure you've paired the car and phone via bluetooth first also. More info here:

As mentioned above, not all cables will work, I bought these from Amazon, seem to be fairly decent: Amazon product ASIN B09PV8GWWX
I have found it to be a bit 'flaky', I wait until the infotainment has booted up and ready before connecting the phone, just to increase chances of success 🤷🏽‍♂️

Just to be clear. You say to the USB C port.
Because thus far I have been trying to connect it to the USB A port. That is the left hand port looking at it in the car.

I'm not sure you ever replied to me @Buster72 ... did the magnetic cable/connector I previously linked you to not work for you?
Apology. No it didn't work unfortunately but I appreciate your help.

Just watching this thread because I'm having a similar problem. I was thinking of going to my dealer to see if he could sort it, but it's over 20 miles away and I'm not confident it's their thing anyway. Useful tips showing up here already.
Even though I am sorry you are having the same problems I am at least happy that it is not just me....

Connect your phone to the cable and the cable to the USB-C port and Android Auto should work. There may be an option on your phone when you plug it in as to which USB mode to use, think i pick 'charging only' here.

I have a Motorola G7 plus and I have updated the AA app.

The USB A port in the car is the ONLY port that will work with Android Auto/Apple Carplay - there is no discussion on this point; that is a fact.
Thank you.
The annoying thing is that AA momentarily opens up then stops.

Thank you.
This happened to me with an unofficial cable, it sounds like a flaky/loose connection, either give it a few minutes to setup or use your phones original cable and try again.

Failing that, try another phone to rule out your phone.

Thank you.
I think you should go to your dealer. Call them first to explain the problem because you need to make sure they have a technician there who knows what they're doing. Let them have a go at connecting AA and if it is a car issue then hopefully they should be able to get it working for you. It is a feature of the car so they should make sure it works for you. Good luck. 👍

I have a Moto G8 Plus running Android 10 and I use the magnetic cable/connector I've posted about a few times previously. AA generally works fine for me. (It's no more troublesome than it sometimes was in my old Insignia).

Just to be clear. You say to the USB C port.
Because thus far I have been trying to connect it to the USB A port. That is the left hand port looking at it in the car.
Apologies, meant to say USB-A, left slot as you look (updated the original reply)

Use an official USB cable, the one that came with the phone should work best. Also make sure you update Android Auto via play store if an update is available.

Turn on phone Bluetooth and connect to the car, plug your phone into the USB Slot (left) wait a moment, select DATA TRANSFER (Android Auto) on your phone in the USB connection popup.

Then your phone and car should automatically enter Android Auto once paired, if not press the AA button on the main infotainment screen.

Try a different phone to rule out your phone being the issue if this doesn't work.
Many phones are shipping with a USB-C to USB-C cable now (my Pixel 7 didn't come with a USB-A cable), which I guess won't work unless you purchase an adaptor to go with it?

Thank you for this. I will go through this routine and hopefully it will work.

I think you should go to your dealer. Call them first to explain the problem because you need to make sure they have a technician there who knows what they're doing. Let them have a go at connecting AA and if it is a car issue then hopefully they should be able to get it working for you. It is a feature of the car so they should make sure it works for you. Good luck. 👍
Thank you for your help and advice. I did initially go to the dealer but the guy who was helping only had an iPhone. But after trying everything I had tried, it suddenly worked just by restarting my phone. But on the way home it stopped and I have been trying to sort it out myself.
But time to take it back because I have failed dismally.

This happened to me with an unofficial cable, it sounds like a flaky/loose connection, either give it a few minutes to setup or use your phones original cable and try again.

Failing that, try another phone to rule out your phone.
Unfortunately the only people I know have iPhones. But you are right.

Thank you for this. I will go through this routine and hopefully it will work.
Aha. I have followed this through and when I get to Device Details on my phone I have Connected Device or This Device. It will only stay on This Device. Below that are a series of buttons the top being File Transfer and the bottom No Data Transfer.
It will only stay on No Data Transfer and I have tried to select File Transfer using 5 different cables including the one with my phone. But I can not get it to remain on Data Transfer.
It reverts to No Data Transfer and immediately goes to the AA loading screen. As soon as I press Next, the AA screen stops.

Do you have a view of this?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel