USB A USB B Not Connected

Rolfe unfortunately your phone has a very old version of ANDROID 8.1 It was released in 2017.
Android Auto has now been integrated into ANDROID 10 and above. So unfortunately your phone is incompatible with Android Auto and any car that can connect to it.
Your phone however, has been linked via bluetooth so that hopefully the iSMART app can work.

Reference your question about CD playing on an MG well as you know the MG does not have a CD player. Infact I'm not aware on any new car that comes with a CD player. The only thing you can do is use your PC or Laptop, that may have a CD player, to RIP the songs to MP3 files like a student from the 1980s. There are plenty of illegal ways to do this just do a search on Google. However, I would suggest you join one of the streaming services like Spotify or Amazon Music because it makes it so easy to listen to an enourmous range of music genres. Being 71 I obviously only like Grunge and Techno.

Seriously, the time saved in not having to rip, process, copy to USB, is well worth a couple of Lattes. Spotify is now £9.99 per month and Amazon music Unlimited is £8.99 per month. Amazon music is offering a free 3 month period to try it out if you are interested.

Amazon Music Unlimited | 90 million songs ad-free‎

If you are an Amazon Prime member you get a pretty good cut down version. It just doesn't have the 'Latest' music on there. That's why MG offered Amazon Music on the MG ZS EV Trophy Connect when released.

By the way I actually listen to Smooth Jazz and Classical, as well a audible books when I drive.
As far as I know android 8 and 9 both can use android auto they just need the android auto app downloaded onto their phones. from android 10 and above it is baked into the OS so no need to download the app.

To find Android Auto on your phone try going into Settings by fully swiping down from the top of your phones home screen and clicking the small cog, Apps & notifications, See all (number) apps, scroll down to Android Auto. Click Advanced for more settings.

I have been having ongoing problems with Android Auto. And so far have tried 6 different USB A to USB C cables including some recommended here on this forum. I have an SE SR.
When I select AA on the infotainment screen, the AA starts on my phone momentarily then immediately goes off.

When I select USB on the infotainment screen it says:
USB A USB B NOT CONNECTED. Despite having a USB cable inserted into the left hand socket.

Could I please ask someone far cleverer than me to let me know whether this is how it should be or if this is not correct and likely to be the cause of the problem.
I would like to know before I take the car back to the dealer.
Thank you.
I've had similar issues with my IPhone. Unfortunately it appears to be by phone that's the problem. My wife's and other iPhones work fine. It could my that there is minor damage to the port that's affecting its connection. I'm looking into a carlinkit as an option.

Android Auto is currently on version 9.3.6..... and was recently udated on 17 April. Although it can be downloaded I doubt it would work on a 6 year old phone operating system. At least thats the issue I suspect is causing the problems.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help, it's really appreciated. I think we have a diagnosis, that the phone I have is incompatible with Android Auto and quite probably never will be. I think I need a new phone, although given that I just bought at new car it may not happen this month! The phone itself was bought four years ago and it does everything I want it to do, but it's arguably time for an upgrade.

Reference your question about CD playing on an MG well as you know the MG does not have a CD player. Infact I'm not aware on any new car that comes with a CD player. The only thing you can do is use your PC or Laptop, that may have a CD player, to RIP the songs to MP3 files like a student from the 1980s. There are plenty of illegal ways to do this just do a search on Google. However, I would suggest you join one of the streaming services like Spotify or Amazon Music because it makes it so easy to listen to an enourmous range of music genres. Being 71 I obviously only like Grunge and Techno.

Seriously, the time saved in not having to rip, process, copy to USB, is well worth a couple of Lattes. Spotify is now £9.99 per month and Amazon music Unlimited is £8.99 per month. Amazon music is offering a free 3 month period to try it out if you are interested.

Amazon Music Unlimited | 90 million songs ad-free‎

If you are an Amazon Prime member you get a pretty good cut down version. It just doesn't have the 'Latest' music on there. That's why MG offered Amazon Music on the MG ZS EV Trophy Connect when released.

By the way I actually listen to Smooth Jazz and Classical, as well a audible books when I drive.

Losing the CD player was one of the reasons I didn't want to change my car! I realised that if I got a new car there would be no CD player in it.

However, I have a lot of CDs and would like to listen to them in the car. As far as I know it is not illegal to make a copy of a music file you have bought and paid for, for your own use. And if it is, then frankly I don't care. I used to copy CDs on to my iPod and play them in the car like that, because it saved having to change the discs manually at the end of each side. But the car stopped talking to the iPod and rather than investigate this I just went back to shoving the actual discs into the slot.

I'm not interested in "the latest music", or "songs", I'm interested in German opera, 18th and 19th century choral music and Renaissance polyphony. Among other things. I don't really know what's on Amazon Music, and I'm not an Amazon Prime member.

It sounds as if all this is dependant on having a phone that talks to the car, and since we've just established that mine won't, then it's all off until I get one that does. I suppose I also need an unlimited data plan too, if all the music is coming off the internet. And what happens when the car is somewhere without a mobile signal?

It all seems a bit unnecessary when I have the music in digital form already, and there are USB devices which surely would feed these files to the car - as my iPod did in my previous car - if only I knew how to go about it.

Well, at least the FM radio works. Beautifully.

Losing the CD player was one of the reasons I didn't want to change my car! I realised that if I got a new car there would be no CD player in it.

However, I have a lot of CDs and would like to listen to them in the car. As far as I know it is not illegal to make a copy of a music file you have bought and paid for, for your own use. And if it is, then frankly I don't care. I used to copy CDs on to my iPod and play them in the car like that, because it saved having to change the discs manually at the end of each side. But the car stopped talking to the iPod and rather than investigate this I just went back to shoving the actual discs into the slot.

I'm not interested in "the latest music", or "songs", I'm interested in German opera, 18th and 19th century choral music and Renaissance polyphony. Among other things. I don't really know what's on Amazon Music, and I'm not an Amazon Prime member.

It sounds as if all this is dependant on having a phone that talks to the car, and since we've just established that mine won't, then it's all off until I get one that does. I suppose I also need an unlimited data plan too, if all the music is coming off the internet. And what happens when the car is somewhere without a mobile signal?

It all seems a bit unnecessary when I have the music in digital form already, and there are USB devices which surely would feed these files to the car - as my iPod did in my previous car - if only I knew how to go about it.

Well, at least the FM radio works. Beautifully.
As I said in an earlier thread you may not need to change the phone just get someone to flash Android 10 to it. There is/are ROM's available such as https://www.getdroidtips.com/android-10-moto-e5-play/

Rolfi you make a very useful point about using your phones data plan when using Android Auto. Others may not have realised that google maps needs to stream maps as you drive. If anyone has a restricted data plan it could be used up quickly on a long journey.

Rolfi you make a very useful point about using your phones data plan when using Android Auto. Others may not have realised that google maps needs to stream maps as you drive. If anyone has a restricted data plan it could be used up quickly on a long journey.

You can download maps in Google maps to use off line so saving your data

Only for short trips really. especially if you have an older phone with limited memory.

Actually I noticed a good discussion about MG4 SIM support in the following thread SIM requirement . Although I have an MG ZS EV trophy connect I tend to use Android Auto most of the time as I have an unlimited data plan with Vodafone. So I havn't tried to set the Hotspot feature that works on both the MG4 and MG ZS trophy models. I wasn't aware of any data caps on the inbuilt SIM. However, I will say that so far I have had no dropouts via the SIM which seemlessly switches to the best network when out and about. In fact its better than my phone in one notorious spot in rural somerset where even the Sun has difficulty seeing all corners.

Google Maps really doesn't use that much data for live updates and route planning ... 3-5MB per hour is the typical estimate.

As for CDs ... I use Exact Audio Copy on my laptop to rip CDs to MP3 files. In my case they are copied to my phone and played via the Musicolet app using Android Auto. However they could also be loaded to a USB memory stick and played using the car's music player. (Although that system isn't very advanced in the MG4). OR ... they could be copied to your existing phone and played via Bluetooth Audio.

As I said in an earlier thread you may not need to change the phone just get someone to flash Android 10 to it. There is/are ROM's available such as https://www.getdroidtips.com/android-10-moto-e5-play/

You still think that might work? I really need to schedule a trip to the phone shop. I like the phone I have well enough, and if it can be upgraded to make it play ball that would be fine by me.

There's also the issue of going places where there isn't a phone signal. Still happens, even these days. I'm a bit leery of being totally dependent on the phone for everything.

You still think that might work? I really need to schedule a trip to the phone shop. I like the phone I have well enough, and if it can be upgraded to make it play ball that would be fine by me.
No reason that flashing an Android 10 ROM to the handset shouldn't work. Not something that O2 would do and unless you have done it before not something I'd advise you do yourself but any phone repair shop would be able to do it.

The likes of Samsung, Motorola etc will often stop support for older handsets even though the hardware is compatible with the latest version of Android.

It all comes down to one thing, money unfortunately. All the manufacturers like to tweak the latest release of vanilla Android to include their content, app etc and that takes developer time and tester time. It also means the latest models of phone are less attractive if the older ones are upgraded to the latest OS

As for CDs ... I use Exact Audio Copy on my laptop to rip CDs to MP3 files. In my case they are copied to my phone and played via the Musicolet app using Android Auto. However they could also be loaded to a USB memory stick and played using the car's music player. (Although that system isn't very advanced in the MG4). OR ... they could be copied to your existing phone and played via Bluetooth Audio.

That's the sort of thing I'm interested in exploring.

Confession. I'm writing a book about Wagner's Ring of the Nibelung (yes, I know, forests have already died for this, but indulge me). This single piece of music runs for 14 to 14.5 hours. I had it on a single playlist in my iPod, but when that connection malfunctioned I started keeping one of my CD box sets in the car. On long runs I would listen to it, and my subconscious was picking up more details in the music every time.

There are multiple versions on YouTube, that isn't an issue, but I'd still like to be able to have my own CDs in a form I could listen to in the car as well. USB memory stick is what I had in mind, and I don't think it would have to be that advanced. The iPod interface with the Golf was a pain in the neck too.

No reason that flashing an Android 10 ROM to the handset shouldn't work. Not something that O2 would do and unless you have done it before not something I'd advise you do yourself but any phone repair shop would be able to do it.

The likes of Samsung, Motorola etc will often stop support for older handsets even though the hardware is compatible with the latest version of Android.

It all comes down to one thing, money unfortunately. All the manufacturers like to tweak the latest release of vanilla Android to include their content, app etc and that takes developer time and tester time. It also means the latest models of phone are less attractive if the older ones are upgraded to the latest OS

Ah, useful info. So you think I should go to a phone repair shop and NOT to the O2 shop. I'll try that first.

Not sure if this is related AA not working. But my Moto G7 that will not work is to android 10.
That's interesting as Android 10 is supposed to have Android Auto out of the box. Have you tried downloading the Android Auto app from the play store?

My Moto G8 Plus is Android 10, but it was originally A9 and then updated ... in that scenario the AA app still remains.

My Moto G8 Plus is Android 10, but it was originally A9 and then updated ... in that scenario the AA app still remains.
I'm just getting back into the swing of things with Android, not Android Auto but Android TV, Set-Top Boxes and Games consoles since we had to take in another teams work. I now remember why I dislike working on it so much and had steered clear for 4 years

Thanks for all that. I'll give it a try to get Android 10 on the phone in the first instance.

Any further tips about playing music from a USB stick gratefully accepted.

Thanks for all that. I'll give it a try to get Android 10 on the phone in the first instance.

Any further tips about playing music from a USB stick gratefully accepted.
I have just tried a USB stick in the car today, after spending an hour or so ripping some CDs to a 64gb memory stick, and adding some MP3s that I've downloaded from torrents (copyright free music - legally of course ;) )

I used VLC to rip the music, it's free, and has an easy to use layout. If you search online for VLC CD to MP3 there are a ton of how-to's if it's new to you.

There are also ways to add in metadata to the MP3, Google is your friend here.

I then set out my Folders, 1 for Videos, 1 for Music.

Each album has its own folder and each disk has its own folder within the album (it may be better NOT to do this, as the cars USB Music functionality is a bit of a pain, you'll see)

So In hindsight, it may be better to have fewer folders, otherwise it's less easy to navigate to your chosen song/album/cd1/2/3 etc.

When you select > USB Music in the car, it will automatically start off trying to 'Play All' - you have to press on the 'play All' button, and it should take you back to your folders, from there you can select your album. - It will automatically revert to 'play All' each time, because MG like to keep us on our toes.

I might add some pictures tomorrow, if anyone is struggling and would benefit from them.

There are a few posts on MG4 threads and elsewhere on this forum about USB music, with similar issues.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back