Used MG5 Standard vs Long range worth the price difference?

tron05

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys - I live near Edinburgh and am considering a used MG5 with the Scottish government interest free loan for used EVs. Within my budget, i shortlisted MG5 but now trying to choose between the Standard range and the long range variant. I am looking at Exclusive trims on both. I have not been able to find much info on the changes/upgrades on the LR version and hoping i can get some help here

1. Range 214(SR) vs 250(LR). I can live with either of them
2. Faster charging on LR(80kwh?) vs 50kwh(SR)
3. Somehow i get insurance cost on the LR version(600) double of what i see for SR(300), checked quotes on autotrader
4. Used car price difference is about 3k more for LR

Are there any other usable difference or facts that you are aware of?

Thanks!

Long range has more bells and whistles like the MG pilot, which when you get used to it is quite helpful on long straight roads.
Thanks, that's useful. I am searchingto check if any of the mg pilot features were on the older MG5, mainly looking tor ACC.

Also wondering with the MG pilot feature, insurance group should have gone down.
MG5 53kwh is 32 and MG5 61kwh is 34 as per autotrader. Parkers shows 27 for the 61 kwh. Would anyone know what is the actual insurance group for the LR version?

3. Somehow i get insurance cost on the LR version(600) double of what i see for SR(300), checked quotes on autotrader

Thanks!
The SR is insurance group 32, the LR is group 27, due I believe to more safety features on the LR.

I’ve never bothered looking what a car’s insurance group is
I just go on insurance comparison websites and see what the price is
I understand pounds and pence better than insurance groups
My long range exclusive is £224 fully comp for the year with esure I’m 54 and have full o claims
I was looking at the sr at first but when the lr came out I thought it was worth the extra money
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Quotes I got for an SR reduced by £100 when I purchased the LR.

My understanding is the SR has Cruise Control, where as the LR has ACC. Which imo is a game changer, the amount of people that can't maintain a speed is painful and mean you're constantly turning off cruise control to maneuver around them. The mg5 with ACC is the first car I actively use cruise control on as it adapts to those not paying attention and allows for a more comfortable driving experience

Thanks, that's useful. I am searchingto check if any of the mg pilot features were on the older MG5, mainly looking tor ACC.

The ACC is worth it the extra if I was purchasing (I added it to the wifes Ford Puma), expecially if you do long motorway trips or lots of slow traffic.

Can't help with insurance as mine is a company car.

Hi Guys - I live near Edinburgh and am considering a used MG5 with the Scottish government interest free loan for used EVs. Within my budget, i shortlisted MG5 but now trying to choose between the Standard range and the long range variant. I am looking at Exclusive trims on both. I have not been able to find much info on the changes/upgrades on the LR version and hoping i can get some help here

2. Faster charging on LR(80kwh?) vs 50kwh(SR)
4. Used car price difference is about 3k more for LR

Thanks!
The LR has a good quality boot floor. The SR one is pretty rubbish. It also has 2 height settings on the LR.

Thinking about it....I believe the SR can charge faster than the 50 quoted. Hopefully somebody can confirm.

If you intend to keep it a long time the extra battery capacity of the LR will mean you take longer to get range issues as the battery degrades through life.
However, having said that, all the feedback from EVs is that barring battery failures, the battery capacity holds up pretty well over the years and the car will probably fall apart before the battery is useless.

Range wise at different times of year on the SR, you'll go from 150 in minus temperatures to 250 on hot summer days depending on your driving style/conditions.

My LR was £350 fully with churchill , and I’ve got 3points and I’m a truck driver
so where they get £600🤷

Personally I'd go LR all day long
  • Lower insurance group
  • Bigger battery so longer range
  • Newer safety tech
  • Roof bars that are useable
  • It's a newer car so will have better resale
For me the SR range was too low in the worst condition, didn't cover the "what-if" needs I had in the winter when the range is at its lowest.

SR only has standard CC not ACC, no pedestrian alert as it has no camera and no radar.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom