Using ac/HVAC

jpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
When you turn on your air conditioning/heating does the additional power drain show on your current miles per KW or is it more of a stealth drainage, coming straight off the remaining battery % & expected range?

It won't show immediately on the m/kWh reading as that shows an average since it was last reset but it will alter the expected range almost straight away.

I notice that when I turn on the HVAC the GoM immediately drops by 10% of remaning mileage. If I turn it off I get a 10% incease in estimated range. I presume that's just a nominal adjustment, but I imagine it's realistic for moderate use.

Actually, scrub that. It might be 5%, which translates to 10 miles at full charge. I need to check this again.

Last edited:
Yeah I see the estimated range drop by 10%ish but never seen/noticed my miles per KW from that current journeys start decrease by the same 10% AFAIK

The curious thing is you see the range drop by the same if you turn on the system but you've not set the AC to On nor the temperature high enough to require heating, ie it's just blowing ambient temp air from a fan. So I'm not sure how much to trust the predicted range drop - might just be hard coded.

That's what I think. It's a nominal reduction just from turning the A/C or the heater on, irrespective of how much work it's actually going to do.

When I selected Remote HVAC this morning, I noticed that the rear (could be the front as well) lights stayed on.
Just to check. Is this normal?

I don’t have a MG4 but am considering one. Does the remote heating work if the car is still connected to a charger but not actually charging? I believe this was or still is a bug? Is it fixed, particularly for the Xpower?

Some people claim to have had this bug fixed, but others (including me) still have the problem.

Since this is apparently fixable, and we're going into the colder weather in the northern hemisphere, I can see MG trying to do something to stave off the flood of complaints they're going to get.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back