Using Tesla Superchargers with my ZS EV

IMG_8630.png
Tested at Tesla Cardiff today after the updates. 👍

My case is now logged with the UK Motor Ombudsman. I advise everyone to log a case against MG UK charging for this Tesla software update. Do not pay for it. The more of us who complain the more likely we are to get this resolved in our favour.

I've also submitted a formal complaint to the ombudsmen, arguing that I have a reasonable expectation to use the vehicle on any available charger as well as updates required to achieve this without additional payment for at least the first year.

This is my 2 pence worth.

They also advertised 'over the air updates' on the UK website for MGZS EV facelift 2022. That never happened together with timely map updates (needed to be kept updated in order to find chargers).
I feel this might be grounds for mis-representation of product.
Even mobile phone manufacturers have to supply updates for the first ?x? number of years.

MG Tunbridge Wells (although initially said no and were reluctant) DID update some software for free. (I can now use Tesla chargers etc)
So why are they charging some purchasers and not others for something I feel should be, and was promised to be, free?

This is all true, but I'm afraid MGs approach to customer care doesn't value looking after existing customers. This is why they have lost me as a future customer.

Kicking myself for not taking the car back to MG Tunbridge Wells where I bought it from. But, wasn't overly impressed with the way they were treating another customer the only time I visited.

This is my 2 pence worth.

They also advertised 'over the air updates' on the UK website for MGZS EV facelift 2022. That never happened together with timely map updates (needed to be kept updated in order to find chargers).
I feel this might be grounds for mis-representation of product.
Even mobile phone manufacturers have to supply updates for the first ?x? number of years.

MG Tunbridge Wells (although initially said no and were reluctant) DID update some software for free. (I can now use Tesla chargers etc)
So why are they charging some purchasers and not others for something I feel should be, and was promised to be, free?
The Tesla thing I wouldn't class as an "upgrade" sort of feature.

It was just broken and needed fixing under warranty.

The Tesla thing I wouldn't class as an "upgrade" sort of feature.

It was just broken and needed fixing under warranty.
I did take a quick look at the warranty. I couldn't find any section where these circumstances are covered,. But, I may have missed it.

We will see (although not for about 6 months and then only if the motor ombudsmen agrees to take the case on) whether your view of the scope of the warranty is correct. Clearly MG doesn't think so.

We will see (although not for about 6 months and then only if the motor ombudsmen agrees to take the case on) whether your view of the scope of the warranty is correct. Clearly MG doesn't think so.
The charging system doesn't appear in the list of exclusions or special age/mileage restrictions (e.g. the battery) so by definition it is covered.

The Motor Ombudsmen has already reached out per below and I have 10 days if I want to start arbitration or otherwise they will press forward with the case. They believe we have a case. I strongly advise others to lodge a complaint.

1699203713861.png

The Motor Ombudsmen has already reached out per below and I have 10 days if I want to start arbitration or otherwise they will press forward with the case. They believe we have a case. I strongly advise others to lodge a complaint.

View attachment 21385
Well done. Do you think it is worth starting a new thread with details of how you contacted the ombudsman, and a template letter for other forum members to lodge a complaint?

Latest email from MG UK. It seems they are saying if you do get your car updated to the latest software it will automatically include the Tesla update. This should not be a chargeable update based on this if done during your cars normal service schedule. Not sure I trust them but you can see the email below.

1699278320809a.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news if it's true. I had my car serviced and they did a routine update to the software a couple of weeks back. So I'm assuming the car is fully up to date. At the same time the garage told me I needed to pay if I wanted an update to deal with the Tesla problem. MG customer service also emailed me in September confirming the Tesla update was chargeable. I'll see if I can find an open Tesla charger to see if the service update has indeed resolved the problem.

Not sure if this helps or muddy the waters, but the mg.uk website still promises the ismart app delivers updates over the air.

So anyone who has paid for the Tesla update should get a refund according to Gary Smart's letter.

Get a template complaint letter from Martin Lewis's website and include Gary Smart's reply as evidence.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom