V to L & boilers

Alex1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Will the MG 4 V to L run my heating boiler as my standby generator will not, we live is a Dorset village supplied by overhead power lines and are subject to quite a few powercuts, my standby inverter/generator causes the boiler (Bosch) to malfunction, anyone tried theirs with the V to L on an MG 4?
I am intending to link mine to the cosumer unit via an interlock, has anyone done this?
I am awaiting MG 4 in March.

How much energy does your boiler take? (I'm assuming it's gas boiler).

Is your standby inverter/generator properly configured? How does the switchover happen? Is the earthing correct? (Is your DNO aware that you have this configuration?)

V2L from your car may well power the boiler - the issue will be the earthing, as V2L is not Vehicle to Grid so you'd need to isolate the boiler from the incoming mains (and have a separate local earth).

V2L is used with a 13A plug socket and up to 3.6kW.
You want V2H which is totally different and usually requires a two way EVSE.

How much energy does your boiler take? (I'm assuming it's gas boiler).

Is your standby inverter/generator properly configured? How does the switchover happen? Is the earthing correct? (Is your DNO aware that you have this configuration?)

V2L from your car may well power the boiler - the issue will be the earthing, as V2L is not Vehicle to Grid so you'd need to isolate the boiler from the incoming mains (and have a separate local earth).
Hi The boiler take 60 watts.
I have a seperate earth rod on the generator.
I have a manual Interlock changeover switch to the consumer unit to ensure isolation from the grid.
I am not sure of the smootheness of the output from the generator it has a pure sine wave inverter but as I no longer have access to a scope i cannot check it.

V2L is used with a 13A plug socket and up to 3.6kW.
You want V2H which is totally different and usually requires a two way EVSE.
There is a thread on here where someone tested the MG4 to put out 7kw before it limited and they power their whole house from the car.

I THINK this is just from a modified cable. Are you thinking of those adapter 13a sockets on ebay?

Yeah, I saw that but can't find it again.
They really pushed it and they had a lot of kit to 'make it safe'.

Hi The boiler take 60 watts.
I have a seperate earth rod on the generator.
I have a manual Interlock changeover switch to the consumer unit to ensure isolation from the grid.
I am not sure of the smootheness of the output from the generator it has a pure sine wave inverter but as I no longer have access to a scope i cannot check it.
Electric boilers are 6kw min, I.e. you are 100 times out with your calculation

There is a thread on here where someone tested the MG4 to put out 7kw before it limited and they power their whole house from the car.

I THINK this is just from a modified cable. Are you thinking of those adapter 13a sockets on ebay?
… not quite, the max v2l is 2.5 kw

Electric boilers are 6kw min, I.e. you are 100 times out with your calculation
I suspect he's after powering up an oil boiler and central heating system not an electric boiler. If so then 60 - 80w is probably about right and easily done with the v2l output of the MG4. I've considered doing similar as we also live rurally and have an oil boiler.

… not quite, the max v2l is 2.5 kw.

I think he is referring to stageshhoots thread on V2L where him and his neighbour got 6.9 out of the car

Both myself and my neighbour have our MG4s wired to our household consumer units to run the house directly from V2L.

We were told the MG4 output only 2.2Kw,

Our old Kia EV6 output 3.5Kw

Today we decided to push them as far as we could..

With a meter on the input, we ran 2x 600w IR Heating Panels f+ 1x400w IR Heating panel for 1.6kw

At the same time boiling a 2.5Kw Kettle and running a 2Kw Induction Cooker Hob

General Load of Lights TVs and Computers plus other ancillaries 800w

Gave 6.9 Kw output. ran that stable with no issues, threw on a toaster and it kicked out and shut down, started up again as soon as the toaster load was removed.

So it seems the MG4 is happy with a 7Kw output. Much much better than expected. Was expecting no more 3.5 max

Also let me say this test was done with a proper type 2 V2L adaptor wired up with 6mm cable and direct back to the house with 6mm armoured cable. Please dont try and pull more than a couple of Kw from those Ebay Plug in type2 to3 pin adaptors.

I suspect he's after powering up an oil boiler and central heating system not an electric boiler. If so then 60 - 80w is probably about right and easily done with the v2l output of the MG4. I've considered doing similar as we also live rurally and have an oil boiler.
I was thinking this may be the case too as I'm putting in a backup power battery for my Gran to make sure her heating stays on if power cuts out like it did the other day.

Yeah, I saw that but can't find it again.
They really pushed it and they had a lot of kit to 'make it safe'.

I think if I recall they needed an isolation switch at the consumer unit to switch between grid and car. Obviously bad things happened otherwise.

You also need appropriate earthing and breakers from the car. But some of that is needed with a wall box anyway

I think this is the thread

Last edited:
Will the MG 4 V to L run my heating boiler as my standby generator will not, we live is a Dorset village supplied by overhead power lines and are subject to quite a few powercuts, my standby inverter/generator causes the boiler (Bosch) to malfunction, anyone tried theirs with the V to L on an MG 4?
I am intending to link mine to the cosumer unit via an interlock, has anyone done this?
I am awaiting MG 4 in March.
A domestic boiler typically requires around 2 amps to operate but will need less than 1 amp for the majority of their operation. All are fused at 5A. So a vehicle to load should easily run the electrics required for a gas boiler.

I think if I recall they needed an isolation switch at the consumer unit to switch between grid and car. Obviously bad things happened otherwise.

You also need appropriate earthing and breakers from the car. But some of that is needed with a wall box anyway

I think this is the thread

Thanks

I have lost count how many times I have seen gas boilers just plugged into a socket so I can’t see why you you can plug it into the socket on the end of s V2L cable years ago my programmer for my heating when up the spout one evening I remove the switched spur that the boiler was wired from fitted a single 13 amp socket in its place on the same cables put a plug on the cable for the boiler plug in and away you go next day I went to get a new programmer over £100 for a replacement came home with a smart plug £12 plugged that in to socket and plug boiler into that been there every since and I have control on my phone over it ,why people pay a lot of money for hive and nest tado and others is beyond me. So in this case get rid of the switch fuse spar replace with a plug and socket then when you have a power cut V2L from the car to thd boiler even using an extension cable if need plug the boiler out of the mains and into the V2L socket and it should run the boiler for weeks if need be no chance of anything going to the house consumer unit or anything else and nothing to do with the DNO on safety issues. Do it try it and then when you have a power cut you know it will work.
Les

I have lost count how many times I have seen gas boilers just plugged into a socket so I can’t see why you you can plug it into the socket on the end of s V2L cable years ago my programmer for my heating when up the spout one evening I remove the switched spur that the boiler was wired from fitted a single 13 amp socket in its place on the same cables put a plug on the cable for the boiler plug in and away you go next day I went to get a new programmer over £100 for a replacement came home with a smart plug £12 plugged that in to socket and plug boiler into that been there every since and I have control on my phone over it ,why people pay a lot of money for hive and nest tado and others is beyond me. So in this case get rid of the switch fuse spar replace with a plug and socket then when you have a power cut V2L from the car to thd boiler even using an extension cable if need plug the boiler out of the mains and into the V2L socket and it should run the boiler for weeks if need be no chance of anything going to the house consumer unit or anything else and nothing to do with the DNO on safety issues. Do it try it and then when you have a power cut you know it will work.
Les
Yes I agree but it’s academic in my case as I don’t have a gas boiler. Instead I have a 9 kW electric one. Costly but I never did like gas 🤷‍♂️

Crikey a 9kw boiler. My whole house is on a 9kw supply here in France.

Another option is to buy a small portable solar generator like a Deltaflow River and you can charge it from the car 12v cigarette socket or with a small solar panel when there is no power and you will have lots of other usb sockets etc for phone charging.

Crikey a 9kw boiler. My whole house is on a 9kw supply here in France.

Another option is to buy a small portable solar generator like a Deltaflow River and you can charge it from the car 12v cigarette socket or with a small solar panel when there is no power and you will have lots of other usb sockets etc for phone charging.
UK houses are designed historically to a 13.5kVA (60A) connection and now a minimum of 18kVA (80A)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back