V2L - vehicle to load adapter / cable

Stefanseiner

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello,
the MG ZS EV is able do deliver 2.500 watts via V2L / VTL / vehicle to load.

Does anyone has some information about the needed adapter cable?
I just saw some pictures like this at the internet
V2L.jpg

V2L2.jpg

but no idea where to get. Sure I will ask my MG dealer, but it would be interesting for me if you can use any "normal" adapter "Type2 -> Schuko" like this
Type2-Schuko.jpg

It's about 119€ from Amazon / eBay and I would prefer a single, waterproof 230V Plug at the end instead of this triple-plug without any water protection.

Who is already using the V2L feature?

Thanks and regards
Stefan

I think the VTL capacity is 2,200 watts but 2,500 would be nice, not much difference but it's a pity it can't handle 3 kW even if only at peak.

Please forgive me, I was aware that the U.K. version came without 11 kWh 3 phase charging but It seems the U.K. VTL is reduced as well, I've definitely seen official MG literature stating it is 2,200 watts output here.

but no idea where to get. Sure I will ask my MG dealer, but it would be interesting for me if you can use any "normal" adapter "Type2 -> Schuko" like this
View attachment 6917
That adapter is for charging vehicles such as the Renault Twizzy and Citroen Ami from Type 2 charge points as they are supplied with standard household plugs (Schuko in Europe, BS 1363 in the UK) - you would need a male type 2 to use V2L from the vehicle.

Type 2.jpeg

Please forgive me, I was aware that the U.K. version came without 11 kWh 3 phase charging but It seems the U.K. VTL is reduced as well, I've definitely seen official MG literature stating it is 2,200 watts output here.
I don't believe any of the UK versions come with 3 phase charging. In Europe, only the LR version has 11kw charging, the SR version is single phase 6.6kw.

Screenshot 2022-02-13 at 14.05.49.png

You could technically but you would want the fues off for the ring or radial you plug in to also you would have to be careful you don't go over 10amps I would not recommend it unless you know what your doing and know exactly what you are powering up taking in consideration start up current on anything with a motor like fridge

I think this will work too.
"Nextmove" on Youtube already did this for testing purposes with the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and it's V2L option.

In Germany it is not allowed at this time, taking energy from one point (maybe a supermarket with free charging) home to feed it into the houshold,
but in case of a blackout this possibility would be nice, feeding a house with the car.

The power will not last for oven or heatpump or electric water heater, but for lighting, microwave, electric stove it would be fine.

What if you plug the V2L adapter into a 15 amp household power-point - will appliances in the house work?
That’s effectively V2G or V2H. V2L is not for that purpose and would be fraught with danger to try it.

I think this will work too.
"Nextmove" on Youtube already did this for testing purposes with the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and it's V2L option.

In Germany it is not allowed at this time, taking energy from one point (maybe a supermarket with free charging) home to feed it into the houshold,
but in case of a blackout this possibility would be nice, feeding a house with the car.

The power will not last for oven or heatpump or electric water heater, but for lighting, microwave, electric stove it would be fine.
Fridge, freezers etc - to protect contents in a power outage. Also wifi...

Ok so this may be a really stoooopid idea but…….

I have a ZS LR on order.

I am also looking hard at putting batteries into my new house.

if you can pull 2.2kWh out of the car battery, is there a way to use the ZS battery to augment the house batteries?

ie if I have 2x5kWh Inverters with an 8kWh battery on each then theoretically I could get a peak usage support for 12.2kWh.

I normally use less than 16kWh per day, the two I kWh batteries will supply 13kWh and I could use a constant pull from the ZS to make up the extra to a norm of 3kWh with an occasional peak of 21kWh in a day.

I understand it will shorten the length of the ZS battery, but given the extremely low mileage each year <6,000 per year.

is this possible? Or just really stupid?

can pull 2.2kWh out of the car battery, is there a way to use the ZS battery to augment the house batteries?

ie if I have 2x5kWh Inverters with an 8kWh battery on each then theoretically I could get a peak usage support for 12.2kWh.

I normally use less than 16kWh per day, the two I kWh batteries will supply 13kWh and I could use a constant pull from the ZS to make up the extra to a norm of 3kWh with an occasional peak of 21kWh in a day.

I understand it will shorten the length of the ZS battery, but given the extremely low mileage each year <6,000 per year.

I have 4 inverters, 3 are connected to 4 x 9kWh LFP batteries. The priority settings are usually set: Solar; Batteries; Grid. My Grid connection goes to an Auto Transfer Switch with is connected to my original inverter and 38kWh of deep cycle gel, when these reach a DOD of 50% the ATS switches to the grid.

I plan to add a grid connection on my 4th inverter to the V2L, which can be set to top up the deep cycle gel overnight if looks like I will need grid power over night (rainy cloudy day)

If this does not make sense - feel free to ask questions, but be aware of the time difference.

Ok so this may be a really stoooopid idea but…….

I have a ZS LR on order.

I am also looking hard at putting batteries into my new house.

if you can pull 2.2kWh out of the car battery, is there a way to use the ZS battery to augment the house batteries?

The output of the V2L connector is 240V AC and would not be phased linked to your house AC. You could feed this into your DC batteries to charge them via an inverter in some way WITHOUT the connection being live on the GRID or going to your house ring, but not easy and not sensible.

You are talking about V2G or V2H. There are not many BEVs that offer V2G/H, the Leaf comes to mind.

You could feed this into your DC batteries to charge them via an inverter in some way WITHOUT the connection being live on the GRID or going to your house ring, but not easy and not sensible.

Why not easy or not sensible?

My inverters have a grid connection but they don't need the actual grid to be connected just an ac connection. As described above I am already connecting the ac output of one inverter into the "grid" connection of my other 3. Was this easy - yes. Was this sensible - why not?

I am planning to do the same thing with my 4th inverter. Use V2L into the grid connection.

Why not easy or not sensible?

My inverters have a grid connection but they don't need the actual grid to be connected just an ac connection. As described above I am already connecting the ac output of one inverter into the "grid" connection of my other 3. Was this easy - yes. Was this sensible - why not?

I am planning to do the same thing with my 4th inverter. Use V2L into the grid connection.
A picture paints a thousand words ;-)

If you can get it to work that would be great, and yet another big plus for the car.

The important thing is that when the grid is off your system must not be putting any power back into the grid. I would guess your system already takes care of this as you have batteries?

You could also use it to charge up your house batteries in the daytime using cheaper electric that you charge your car up with during the night?

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom