V2L - vehicle to load adapter / cable

A picture paints a thousand words ;-)

If you can get it to work that would be great, and yet another big plus for the car.

The important thing is that when the grid is off your system must not be putting any power back into the grid. I would guess your system already takes care of this as you have batteries?

You could also use it to charge up your house batteries in the daytime using cheaper electric that you charge your car up with during the night?
So it sounds like, when I add the inverters and batteries I add another inverter that will connect to the car via V2L?

All the grid protections will be in place and properly certified.

Looking now at using 2x 5kWh inverters into 3x 8.2 kWh batteries, so I can have a 10kWh peak headroom and add third inverter for the ZS EV V2L with the expectation that the V2L is only used in more challenging scenarios, a house full of guests over Christmas, a prolonged power outage etc.

not something I have to do right away, but worth mapping out future usage/plans as it makes implementation a bit easier later on.

So it sounds like, when I add the inverters and batteries I add another inverter that will connect to the car via V2L?

Looking now at using 2x 5kWh inverters into 3x 8.2 kWh batteries, so I can have a 10kWh peak headroom and add third inverter for the ZS EV V2L with the expectation that the V2L is only used in more challenging scenarios, a house full of guests over Christmas, a prolonged power outage etc.

not something I have to do right away, but worth mapping out future usage/plans as it makes implementation a bit easier later on.
AC = Alternating Current (as found in household electricity)

DC = Direct Current (as found in batteries)

Inverter = Electrical device that converts AC into DC and visa-versa

V2L = Vehicle to Load. The car provides an AC voltage output to power devices connected to a suitable connector. Must not be connected to the grid or directly to your household power ring.

V2G = Vehicle to Grid. The car provides a DC output that, to a suitable bi-directional household charger, is able to connect to the household power supply and the main grid. The chargers themselves are very expensive as they have an inverter built into them. The output from the car is DC directly from the battery. I think only Nissan currently offer V2G. Ford’s new 150 does offer V2G via the CCS connector, but you need their dedicated charger to use this.

V2H = Vehicle to Home. This is very similar to V2G. However, V2H is not connected to the main Grid and is only used to power the home. With the ZS EV having a huge 73kWh, the benefits of this can easily be seen, but the ZS EV does not offer V2G or V2H.

The EV car charger fitted to your home in the simplest of terms merely routes the 240V AC from your home to your car. They become a bit more intelligent when connected to a household PV/Battery system whereby they help the PV/Battery system to decide where to to source the 240V from - household battery, solar panels and grid. But essentially they are just a connection and switch to turn a 240V supply to your car.

The MG ZS EV, and most EVs in the UK, has a single 7kW inverter built into the car.

Modern EVs (including the ZS EV) are now coming with the required software to allow at least V2L.

With V2L, the Inverter in the car will be used to convert the DC output of the battery into 240V AC that can directly power household devices. The maximum load supported by the ZS EV is around 2.2kW. With a full battery the ZE EV could run your Internet Router, PCs, TV, SKY Box, Fridge/Freezer for a couple of days in the event of a power failure.

Note that output of the V2L is AC. If you have an spare inverter in your PV/Battery system you may be able to use this to charge your home battery system from the car, but it is NOT a recommended solution. I will delve further into this.

Last edited:
Some really good info here….

AC = Alternating Current (as found in household electricity)

DC = Direct Current (as found in batteries)

Inverter = Electrical device that converts AC into DC and visa-versa

V2L = Vehicle to Load. The car provides an AC voltage output to power devices connected to a suitable connector. Must not be connected to the grid or directly to your household power ring.

V2G = Vehicle to Grid. The car provides a DC output that, to a suitable bi-directional household charger, is able to connect to the household power supply and the main grid. The chargers themselves are very expensive as they have an inverter built into them. The output from the car is DC directly from the battery. I think only Nissan currently offer V2G. Ford’s new 150 does offer V2G via the CCS connector, but you need their dedicated charger to use this.

V2H = Vehicle to Home. This is very similar to V2G. However, V2H is not connected to the main Grid and is only used to power the home. With the ZS EV having a huge 73kWh, the benefits of this can easily be seen, but the ZS EV does not offer V2G or V2H.

The EV car charger fitted to your home in the simplest of terms merely routes the 240V AC from your home to your car. They become a bit more intelligent when connected to a household PV/Battery system whereby they help the PV/Battery system to decide where to to source the 240V from - household battery, solar panels and grid. But essentially they are just a connection and switch to turn a 240V supply to your car.

The MG ZS EV, and most EVs in the UK, has a single 7kW inverter built into the car.

Modern EVs (including the ZS EV) are now coming with the required software to allow at least V2L.

With V2L, the Inverter in the car will be used to convert the DC output of the battery into 240V AC that can directly power household devices. The maximum load supported by the ZS EV is around 2.2kW. With a full battery the ZE EV could run your Internet Router, PCs, TV, SKY Box, Fridge/Freezer for a couple of days in the event of a power failure.

Note that output of the V2L is AC. If you have an spare inverter in your PV/Battery system you may be able to use this to charge your home battery system from the car, but it is NOT a recommended solution. I will delve further into this.
Perfect thanks!

Just for clarity, an Inverter converts DC to AC.
AC to DC is a Rectifier :)

If you can get it to work that would be great, and yet another big plus for the car.

The important thing is that when the grid is off your system must not be putting any power back into the grid. I would guess your system already takes care of this as you have batteries?

You could also use it to charge up your house batteries in the daytime using cheaper electric that you charge your car up with during the night?

If a picture paints a thousand words, how many words for a video? I will make one just for you Dave - please stand by.

My inverters are "Off-Grid" so do not feedback. Unfortunately the rules in Thailand for feed-in credit is a maximum of 5kW of PV for single phase so my 20kW excludes me - I would rather self consume anyway.

There is T.O.U. rate here which is about half the standard rate but it comes with a higher monthly standard charge and as most months I use zero units it does not make economic sense for me.

You don't need to add another inverter just for V2L. I have an automatic transfer switch that allows me to have 2 ac connections into the grid connection of my inverter.

20220310_012917630_iOS.jpg

I managed to find the thread:)

You have an excellent setup. It is great to know that, with a well configured PV/Battery home, the ZS EV can be part of the solution.

Thanks for putting the video together. I am sure it is appreciated by all that are interested and certainly a lesson I have learned and appreciate.

Last edited:
Has anyone tested the mg V2l function, can it cope with turn-on surge currents etc.

BTW my dealer says the v2l adapter from kia can be used, i haven't tested it

The cables are available from MG dealers here in France now (apparently). These pics from a French FB page and I've pinged the poster to ask which dealer and how much they were.

(EDIT: he said the V2L cable was included by his dealer when he purchased the car - seems he had a very accomodating dealer!)

FB_IMG_1647023222091.jpg

Emergency charging a Leaf

FB_IMG_1647023233386.jpg

Last edited:
And for those who are interested and want to know the inner workings of the Type 2 plug for V2L, this post shows the Hyundai adapter being broken down and what's inside.

1647077449741.png

Perhaps this will help someone who know a little more about electronics than I do to make their own V2L adapter using this info?

From the photograph, the lead looks to be no more than the type 2 plug on one end and domestic sockets on the other. Is that true?

Correct,
From the photograph, the lead looks to be no more than the type 2 plug on one end and domestic sockets on the other. Is that true?
Correct, the cable just attaches to the car's charge port. There is a little bit of electronics in the type 2 to tell the car it's attached, but nothing spectacular or that warrants the outrageous prices being asked.

The prices for the V2L adaptors are ridiculous!!! It’s just a shell with a few wires, a thermal fuse and a switch.

All the clever stuff is already in the car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom