V2L - vehicle to load adapter / cable

Sorry, no pictures
đź’”

[ Edit: Sigh. Somehow I managed to end up near the end of this thread, without having read the earlier posts. So now I'm one of those annoying people... :mad: Reading now, I see it's all explained. ]

So, is there no other electronics in this? Just the resistor required?

This seems such a fluke. For example, it looks like the connector may actually be designed for use in China, where they have type 2 connectors, but gender (male and female) are swapped. I didn't think that they were perfectly compatible other than that.

How did you decide on the 440Ω resistor? Trial and error?

Does the 680Ω resistor also work? Or not as well somehow?

Edit: and of course, a massive thanks to all that made this possible.

Happy Dog GIF

Last edited:
đź’”

[ Edit: Sigh. Somehow I managed to end up near the end of this thread, without having read the earlier posts. So now I'm one of those annoying people... :mad: Reading now, I see it's all explained. ]

So, is there no other electronics in this? Just the resistor required?

This seems such a fluke. For example, it looks like the connector may actually be designed for use in China, where they have type 2 connectors, but gender (male and female) are swapped. I didn't think that they were perfectly compatible other than that.

How did you decide on the 440Ω resistor? Trial and error?

Does the 680Ω resistor also work? Or not as well somehow?

Edit: and of course, a massive thanks to all that made this possible.

Happy Dog GIF
680Ω doesn't work - I tried that. But today I'm going to try some other, more common resistor values - 430Ω 470Ω 390Ω 510Ω etc. I'll report back.

EDIT: I tried lots of different resistors between PP and PE.
Recognised as a V2L cable: 390Ω, 430Ω, 470Ω, 510Ω and 560Ω. I would recommend the middle value 470Ω.
Not recognised as a V2L cable: 330Ω and 620Ω. These were interpreted by the car as a charge cable.

Last edited:
You can now buy a V2L cable (for the 2022 MG ZS EV) from evcables.co.uk in a range of cable lengths, cable colours and socket types.

Last edited:
You can now buy a V2L cable (for the 2022 MG ZS EV) from evcables.co.uk in a range of cable lengths, cable colours and socket types.

Thanks for uploading the link !.
The price is reasonable as well.
Have you ordered one yet ?.

What if you plug the V2L adapter into a 15 amp household power-point - will appliances in the house work?
I would say that was a dangerous idea, as to plug it into a 13 amp outlet that plug would be live with exposed terminals on it... Be very careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, pretty shocking, i was sure the reason they wanted so much for the adaptor was because it was acutally an inverter (battery DC voltage to 230V AC) but if the car is able to output the 230V AC directly on the plug, then there is no electronics needed.

Wahey, just ordered.

Use 5OFFNOW to get 5% off you purchase.

I thinking to build my own cabel (import from UK, no fun)
Instead of putting the resistors in the “handel” can I put it at the other end off the five meter cabel?

Instead of putting the resistors in the “handel” can I put it at the other end off the five metre cable?
Usually not. It's the Proximity Pilot that needs the resistor, and usually there isn't a wire for that in the cable. Also, type two usually has a resistor at both ends, from memory. So you'd have to change that resistor anyway.

But type 2 plugs can usually be opened with a suitable Torx tool. A J1772 (type 1) I opened recently opened with a T9 non-security bit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom