V2L - vehicle to load adapter / cable

I assume that the on board AC/DC converter that is used to allow the car to be charged at a rate up to 7.2KW is the same converter that is used for V2L - only in reverse?? I think that the V2L facility has a recommended max. of only just over 2KW - is this because of the size of the cable that is used in the cable of the V2L?
Or could more current/power be pulled from the car? Ie what would happen if you were to try to connect a 4Kw (17 amps) load to the car - (using a suitablly sized cable - eg 4mm2 )?

Yes I also paid 100 for the double socket cable few weeks ago.
Same here !.
I just had a feeling that these would be popular and therefore jumped in and placed an order early.
I think EV cables offered them a good introductory price at first.
In order to gauge there popularity and then of course, quickly increased the price.
Once it’s availability was posted on the forum, sales have rocketed 🚀 .
The awaited MG adaptor was rumoured to cost about £200 and required an extension lead also.
So at a launch price of less than £100 it was a no brainier for me and others !.
EV cables have exploited a gap in the market left by MG.
For this reason you can not blame them really.
Supply and demand, I think 💭 is the term widely used these days !.

I assume that the on board AC/DC converter that is used to allow the car to be charged at a rate up to 7.2KW is the same converter that is used for V2L - only in reverse?? I think that the V2L facility has a recommended max. of only just over 2KW - is this because of the size of the cable that is used in the cable of the V2L?
Or could more current/power be pulled from the car? Ie what would happen if you were to try to connect a 4Kw (17 amps) load to the car - (using a suitablly sized cable - eg 4mm2 )?
Good question 🙋🏻‍♂️.
Maybe because the MG style adaptor outlet was designed to take a standard three pin plug rated at 13 Amps, then passing a greater load through these pins could have caused overheating 🥵 at the adaptor ???.
Pure guess work on my part here of course.
A larger sized cable may avoid the over heating, but is the output restriction already preset and locked in at just over 2 kw’s ?.

I can see a good business here.

1. Buy the cheapest type 2 charge cable...Can be 16A
2. Cut in half
3. Install normal power socket on both cut ends
4. Change resistor in both Type 2 connectors.
5. Sell one end for £186
6. Keep the other one for yourself at low price :)

2. Cut in half
5. Sell one end for £186
I thought of this AFTER I had placed an order with EV Cables - Dooh ! 🤫.

I thought of this AFTER I had placed an order with EV Cables - Dooh ! 🤫.
Yeah, i just checked, the cheapest 5 meter 16A cable i found is £145 so even if you bought this and split the cost with someone else, you would only be down, about £75

I haven't looked around but i would assume that just the Type 2 connector will be even cheaper, and then add a bit of cable, a resistor and a regular female plug to accept the load.

I don't think ill bother with making a cable, but mostly because i dont see any need for it personally.

On the other hand, i know a guy that works at a recycling station, they have a bin for electronic...If someone throws away a charger, with a cable and Type 2 connector, i could get him to just cut the cable and type 2 connector off and save it for me. :)

Yeah, i just checked, the cheapest 5 meter 16A cable i found is £145 so even if you bought this and split the cost with someone else, you would only be down, about £75

I haven't looked around but i would assume that just the Type 2 connector will be even cheaper, and then add a bit of cable, a resistor and a regular female plug to accept the load.

I don't think ill bother with making a cable, but mostly because i dont see any need for it personally.

On the other hand, i know a guy that works at a recycling station, they have a bin for electronic...If someone throws away a charger, with a cable and Type 2 connector, i could get him to just cut the cable and type 2 connector off and save it for me. :)
Promise me you will not tell anybody 🤫 !.
But about 9 months ago, I replaced the tethered cable on my ageing wall box, because a section of outer protection had developed some bad twist's, I decided to replace it as part of a almost full refit after 4 years of use.
You know what's coming, I disposed of the old cable :eek:.
O.M.G - I have just told everybody !.
If only I knew folks !

2. Cut in half
5. Sell one end for £186
Fatal flaw in the plan, the Type 2 cable has two different connectors, male and female ;)

That said, I reckon that I could make and sell them for circa £120 and still make a healthy profit, so at £180 EV cables are just being rude.

Fatal flaw in the plan, the Type 2 cable has two different connectors, male and female ;)

That said, I reckon that I could make and sell them for circa £120 and still make a healthy profit, so at £180 EV cables are just being rude.
Perhaps they have looked at soaring inflation, increased postal costs, higher energy charges, wage demands and the increase in N.I. payments and decided the customer has to pay?

There MUST be type 2 extension cables out there with 2 male ends, or is it 2 female ends.......

Aah crap,just goes to show that i have not actually looked at the Type-2 cable, connectors on the cable i bought. :)

My favorite quote seems appropriate here "Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups" :)

You are correct - this video has all the details

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom