• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

V2L.

eric cire

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
IMG_20221006_181356_HDR.jpg

WOW impressive I agree and many thanks for you posting but how long could that be maintained for with out doing any damage to something some where along the way you say 3.7kw immersion heater was that on a 3 pin plug?

So answers to a couple of question please if you can, one you have already being about the doors being locked
Was the DRLs or any other lights on or off while it was discharging
How long did you run it for at that level of discharge and over that time how much of the battery percentage did it use.
And as gem10 asked where did you get the discharge adapter from was it an MG part or an after market item
Les.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have people looked around the other areas of the forum the lead has been covered quite a bit previously.
This post covers how to build your own (at your own risk) but undererstanding whats in the.lead is interesting, and backs the question as to why do they cost so much?

Have people looked around the other areas of the forum the lead has been covered quite a bit previously.
This post covers how to build your own (at your own risk) but undererstanding whats in the.lead is interesting, and backs the question as to why do they cost so much?
I would suggest 90% of the cost is in the EV cable itself, rather than the adaptor end of it. The only difference between a charging cable and a discharging cable is the value of the internal resistor at the EV connector end and perhaps a 3-pin socket on the other.
EV cable is eye-wateringly expensive, hence why I have bought one of the "cheap" Aliexpress adaptors and modified it. I have no intention of using it in the rain, but if I have to I'll find a way to keep the rain off.

Hears what the manual says on page 181

If it is necessary to use the discharge function on wet days, please pay particular attention in protecting the discharge port area and discharge gun from water, rain or snow.

So I would think that they are talking about the MG V2L cable in the manuals so not a lot of difference what ever you use,ideally don’t use one when the weathers bad really if you can avoid it is what it’s telling us
Les

I would suggest 90% of the cost is in the EV cable itself, rather than the adaptor end of it. The only difference between a charging cable and a discharging cable is the value of the internal resistor at the EV connector end and perhaps a 3-pin socket on the other.
EV cable is eye-wateringly expensive, hence why I have bought one of the "cheap" Aliexpress adaptors and modified it. I have no intention of using it in the rain, but if I have to I'll find a way to keep the rain off.
The "EVCables" adaptor unit does not appear to have the heavy gauge charging flex fitted from the type 2 plug ( gun ) to the three pin socket outlet.
The discharge output from the car is only max rated at just over 2.5 Watts, so a flex with a cross sectional size of between 1.5mm to 2.5mm should be fine.
Therefore, I don't believe the flex does require the heavy gauge charging conductors, or the extra CP & PP communication / signal conductors that are required for a carrying out a charging cycle.
It's a bit of overkill !.

@eric cire , can the discharge stats shown in the photo you posted also be displayed on the ismart app on your phone..? Would be handy if you could check the discharge demand remotely.

I used V2L properly for the first time yesterday at a BBQ. I have the genuine MG cable with 2 x 3 pin sockets. I ran a 1.5 kw air fryer for about an hour together with a camping fridge for about 6 hours. I used 2% of my battery and lost 6 miles of range.

To pre-empt questions:
The iSmart app does not show a real-time SOC - for that you need to look at the screen in the car (open the door to wake up the display if necessary)

Yes, you can keep the car locked whilst discharging

No, the DLRs do not light up

No, you cannot put the car in Ready Mode, but worry not as the 12v battery will be kept topped up by the HV battery during V2L discharge

Yes, your guests will be mightily impressed

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel